Wiki Posts
Search

Same-day change delight!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Same-day change delight!

Mrs Neverfirst and I turned up at check-in three hours before our (cheap, economy, BA holidays) flight and idly wondered whether we could be moved to the earlier flight, leaving within the hour.

Tap-tap-tap, “that’s all done for you, have a great flight”.

Huge thanks to the agent, but was this just a lucky break? (I know about the CE same-day changes, but I was prepared to be turned down flat on this very cheap economy flight.)
Dambus likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I believe it came first for ET flights before it became available for CE.

It isn't available for all fare basis in ET or CE though, so make sure to check the fare rules before booking them in the future, if you feel you might like to take advantage of it.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Mrs Neverfirst and I turned up at check-in three hours before our (cheap, economy, BA holidays) flight and idly wondered whether we could be moved to the earlier flight, leaving within the hour.

Tap-tap-tap, “that’s all done for you, have a great flight”.

Huge thanks to the agent, but was this just a lucky break? (I know about the CE same-day changes, but I was prepared to be turned down flat on this very cheap economy flight.)
Shorthaul ET plus fares ie those that include baggage have free change on the day too.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
This isn’t usually available on BA holidays; that’s worth a try next time.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:44 am

does that include reward flights?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sam lewis71
I've had plenty of domestic award flights moved earlier over the last couple of years - not policy but helpful agents; where I often wonder if it helps their booking levels also...
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
I imagine a lot of this is them looking at your flight and seeing it close to full with an empty option earlier in the day that you are happy to take...
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No, reward flights are subject to normal reward flights T&C: award space available, change fee, normally changed 24 hours before the flight. It is also not available on connecting flights.

Plus fares were introduced a while ago as a key "upsell" proposition for short haul non-stop flights (as LTNPhobia mentions, well before it came to CE). You choose between hand luggage only or plus fare which includes luggage and space available same day change.:
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
No, reward flights are subject to normal reward flights T&C: award space available, change fee, normally changed 24 hours before the flight. It is also not available on connecting flights.

Plus fares were introduced a while ago as a key "upsell" proposition for short haul non-stop flights (as LTNPhobia mentions, well before it came to CE). You choose between hand luggage only or plus fare which includes luggage and space available same day change.:
That might be the official rules but I've definitely had check-in staff at outstations happily move me to an earlier flight home when travelling on an award ticket.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
It actually makes sense for an airline to get people away as soon as possible as it reduces the risk of EU261 issues later in the day if they hit problems.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a allowance at LHR (and possibly LGW but not sure if it extends there) that for reward bookings they will move you on the day if there is reward space on the flight you want for a fee of £60. Not quite SDC but it can be helpful sometimes.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
This isn’t usually available on BA holidays; that’s worth a try next time.
Agreed, I changed to an earlier flight by calling BA holidays, they told me it would not be possible for check in staff to move me, and only a special team in BA holidays could do it. They did move me, waved the change fee, but there was a small £10 fair difference to be paid, and 3 hours of my time was worth a tenner, so I went for it!

Maybe next time I'll chance it at the airport and see what happens.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
That might be the official rules but I've definitely had check-in staff at outstations happily move me to an earlier flight home when travelling on an award ticket.
Don't forget that there are situations where it helps the airline to move you to a different flight and gets them out of a potential pickle.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Don't forget that there are situations where it helps the airline to move you to a different flight and gets them out of a potential pickle.
Sure, and I wouldn't expect it as a matter of course either. But at T+3 for my original flight and T+1 for my earlier flight I looked at the seat maps and both were only about 50% allocated / blocked so I think it was just a case of overall light loads.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Tried to move a CE from Glasgow last week and two agents eventually worked out that a car hire made it a BA Holiday booking and so they could not change it. They did not try to call BA Holidays or advise that I could call them. I would have taken a downgrade or no meal option as 5 hours in the lounge was soul destroying, more so as I was driving on arrival at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.