Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA208 Miami - LHR on 10 Nov - problems due to aircraft change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness

Just received this ominous message from BA

Dear Customer,Flight BA0208 on 10-Nov/MIA - Due to a change of aircraft type operating your flight, we would like to offer you the option to travel on an alternative service from MIA to LHR on any service from 08 November to 11 November inclusive. Please contact British Airways or the agent who made the booking.
Was ticketed in CW - can I assume that if I call BA I should expect to keep my original booking as BAEC Gold?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Were you expecting to be on a 380? It looks like a 747 is operating BA208 for two days - 9 and 10 November.

It would be unsurprising if this were related to events yesterday, although that is mere speculation on my part: G-XLEE returning to LHR squawking 7700

If you want to keep your booking, why do anything? Surely you only need to contact BA if you want to change?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
I am on the 9th November flight and also got an email/text. Neither 747 has as many CW seats as an A380, and given I was in CW 53K (which on either B747 seatmap is not a great choice) I was worried that I might have a problem. I am travelling with a friend, different PNR, a flight change for one of us would have been awkward. Anyway, I found that I appeared to still be in 53K in MMB, but when I opened the seatplan I had no seat (ie no blue icon) and had to select a new one. The only one available was in row 18, so I put myself in that very quickly, cursing that the upper deck was full. As soon as I made the change I rechecked the upper deck to discover that 64K was now open (whether I had been in that and MMB was not able to show me I do not know), so moved there and have had email confirmation. My friend is in WTP, and that loses something like 20 seats vs the A380, so he also quickly selected a new seat - rows 60 etc are on the tailfin of a 747.....
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snuffi
I am on the 9th November flight and also got an email/text. Neither 747 has as many CW seats as an A380, and given I was in CW 53K (which on either B747 seatmap is not a great choice) I was worried that I might have a problem. I am travelling with a friend, different PNR, a flight change for one of us would have been awkward. Anyway, I found that I appeared to still be in 53K in MMB, but when I opened the seatplan I had no seat (ie no blue icon) and had to select a new one. The only one available was in row 18, so I put myself in that very quickly, cursing that the upper deck was full. As soon as I made the change I rechecked the upper deck to discover that 64K was now open (whether I had been in that and MMB was not able to show me I do not know), so moved there and have had email confirmation. My friend is in WTP, and that loses something like 20 seats vs the A380, so he also quickly selected a new seat - rows 60 etc are on the tailfin of a 747.....
I've been allocated 17K on the 747 (had 11A on the A380 previously) so looks like I'll be able to fly. Upper Deck all taken - would love to know how passengers get selected for 62A etc - random luck? Suspect they start at the front of the cabin and work their way back, so those at the back are now on the UD.....
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
I couldn't see an allocation and wasn't prepared to see what happened (either to me or my mate) if we did nothing.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Ned1968
I've been allocated 17K on the 747 (had 11A on the A380 previously) so looks like I'll be able to fly. Upper Deck all taken - would love to know how passengers get selected for 62A etc - random luck? Suspect they start at the front of the cabin and work their way back, so those at the back are now on the UD.....
I received the same message, it seems I was reallocated to 63B. Is that any good?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

You're a winner in seat lotto n1tr0

What seat did you have on the A380?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:24 am

Most likely 13B, I had reserved a seat in World Traveler Plus. So it seems I got lucky and going on upper deck in club world
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by n1tr0
Most likely 13B, I had reserved a seat in World Traveler Plus. So it seems I got lucky and going on upper deck in club world
BA truly works in mysterious ways
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

I wonder how they will manage passenger re-allocations when A380s go tech and there aren’t any B747s to substitute for them.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by n1tr0
Congratulations and welcome to the BA Forum on Flyertalk n1tr0. For further good luck and advice on where this luck is to be found, you need to check in this forum every day.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These emails are effectively an invitation to negotiate. There are some number of people who would be quite happy to spend an extra night in Miami, especially at BA''s expense and thus call in and offer to delay their departure in return for some trinket or other. Far better than being overbooked, knowing that this will most likely result in an oversale and then having to deal with people at the airport who could have avoided the extra airport trip.

If one has a seat one likes and one wants to travel as scheduled, leave it alone. If there is something else to be done, there is no harm in calling in and asking for it.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:07 pm

I'm due to on BA207 later this year, and am actually hoping they would swap it out from 747 to A380
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Often1
These emails are effectively an invitation to negotiate. There are some number of people who would be quite happy to spend an extra night in Miami, especially at BA''s expense and thus call in and offer to delay their departure in return for some trinket or other. Far better than being overbooked, knowing that this will most likely result in an oversale and then having to deal with people at the airport who could have avoided the extra airport trip.

If one has a seat one likes and one wants to travel as scheduled, leave it alone. If there is something else to be done, there is no harm in calling in and asking for it.
Not sure if this is the same but when an Airport was looking for volunteers to travel on a later flight the volunteers got exactly the same compensation which is the EU261 compensation as people who were compulsory bump d off.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I assume this aircraft swap is due to BA being down an A380 after the LHR-LAX issue on the 6th of November?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.