Wiki Posts
Search

able to have bags loaded at second leg

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
able to have bags loaded at second leg

We are traveling to MIA and technically starting at CPH. We fly to CPH the day before at 19;00, stay over night then start the trip CPH/LHR/MIA. booked through AA but all operated by BA.

We are going on a long cruise so will have lots of luggage. Is it possible to check them in at LHR to go onto the LHR/MIA leg so we don't have to lug them to CPH the night before?

I understand we will be arriving at T5 from CPH and out of T3 to MIA, but we have plenty of time when arriving the previous day to go to T3 drop the bags then go to T5 to catch the flight.

The flight from LHR to MIA is 14:00 the next day. I am BA Silver.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can add bags before the LHR-MIA flight but you’ll only be able to do it in your case between arriving back from CPH and departing to MIA - you can’t check bags at T5 or T3 for a flight departing the next day. You would add the bags at T3 check in.
moneypooraviosrich likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
I’ve previously used the left luggage service overnight at T3. It’s a small price to not to lug it to your ex-EU destination.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can add bags before the LHR-MIA flight but you’ll only be able to do it in your case between arriving back from CPH and departing to MIA - you can’t check bags at T5 or T3 for a flight departing the next day. You would add the bags at T3 check in.
Ah I thought you could do it if the flight was sub 24 hours away and had status. Or was that just a straight forward checkin
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAEC
I’ve previously used the left luggage service overnight at T3. It’s a small price to not to lug it to your ex-EU destination.
I've looked at that and it would cost us £80.
So to save us some time how about we leave them at T3, get the flight to CPH from T5, then next day land T5, go to T3, pick up bags and check them in.

Last edited by moneypooraviosrich; Nov 4, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
So it would be OK to not add any at CPH and check them in at LHR, as in the case of leaving them at luggage store
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
So it would be OK to not add any at CPH and check them in at LHR, as in the case of leaving them at luggage store
yes that’s fine. When you check in for CPH just select zero bags for that leg if you won’t check anything. For your LHR-MIA flight you can choose the correct number of bags or select not sure.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

The other option is airportr.com

You could book them so that they collect from your house the day you leave for Copenhagen.

Alternatively, you could give them your bags at LHR T5 as you're departing to Copenhagen booking them to be checked in for you MIA flight the next day.

It looks like the charges are £50/£60 for four bags.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
So to save us some time how about we leave them at T3, get the flight to CPH from T5, then next day land T5, go to T3, pick up bags and check them in.
In theory, this would work - and probably better than leaving them at T5.

But how much time do you have between arriving at T5 from CPH, and departing from T3 for MIA? What happens if your CPH-LHR is an hour late, 2 hours late, 3 hours late?

As you have an overnight at CPH, you would not have these risks if you were to take them to CPH, possibly leave them at left luggage at CPH (depending on where your hotel is), and then check them in at CPH for CPH-LHR-MIA in the conventional way. That is not to say that you wouldn't have some different risks doing this, but you need to balance them against each other.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
How are you getting to the airport? I've use the car boot in these circumstances. Incidentally T5 long stay parking is right next to T3 business parking if you have terminal swaps, easy to walk between the car parks and get the bus for the terminal you need.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take them with you. If something goes wrong while you are in CPH and your bags are at LHR it will seriously compromise your rerouting options - which with a cruise at the other end would be quite time critical too?
NeedstoFly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.