Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swearing passenger ruined first F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus

Custom earplugs and Bose (over the ear) NC headphones works for me. Everything reduced to a dull background drone.

In very extreme circumstances* adding some soft classical music on top really does eliminate all other noise.

* such as the two bankers across the aisle who wanted to share their great tech deal with the whole of the 747 UD while working through every variant of whisky available on the plane from LAX-LHR. Kids eventually get tired, not these guys....
BA is surprisingly good with kids. They seem to introduce them to the cabin personally before the flight. Kids on Qatar airways though have unrivalled stamina and can scream all the way from Paris to Doha. I’ve never seen anything quite like it on other airlines.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
For those advocating noise cancelling headphones, do you have some technology that I don't? My Bose do nothing for things like screaming children or indeed angry swearing blokes.they are great for eliminating constant sounds like engines or air con, but they can't cancel essentially unpredictable sounds.

I can understand that very well fitting earplugs could be effective for such things, but they would also prevent the necessary noise cancelling sounds getting in.
I've recently invested in a set of Inairs Air 3 which are dirt cheap and the best audio upgrade I've ever made. Order carefully, you need to match you headphones make/model. They are fantastic on the tube and on planes, Standard headphones (I'm now using Sennheiser Momentum Frees) with Inairs are better in an office, on the tube or in an aircraft at noise isolation -- plus a hugely improved bass response too. My trusty Sennheiser noise cancelling over ear headphones are now gathering dust. Only snag is they take ten seconds to put in your ears, but for £ 12 try then and see. If you reallly find them inconvenient to put in look at Snuggs or similar, but for the money you'd be mad not to try the Inairs first.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Given the plethora of apps and information available on-line these days I feel British Airways are missing out on a potentially market-leading, ground-breaking service for their passengers.

Let’s call it - ‘Who’s flying in my cabin?’ (initially to be trialled in F). At the time of booking, passengers would be required to, anonymously, complete a passenger profile form - indicating age, sex, nationality, propensity to swear, fart, snore, degree of personal hygiene, etc. This information would be available for other passengers flying on the same flight and cabin to access pre-flight. If you don’t like the look of someone you would be permitted to change your flight free-of-charge to another flight up until, say, T -24.

The almost guaranteed ability to avoid a screaming baby, or a profanity-laden adult, on your flight has got to be an attractive feature.
You joke but my work with a major airline has seen us test the idea of "child free flights"...
MSPeconomist and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:37 am
Suspended

Can't wait to see how child-free flights work when there's disruption: Passengers with kids being forced to wait while others get put on a child-free flight? That'll go well.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by memesweeper
I've recently invested in a set of Inairs Air 3 which are dirt cheap and the best audio upgrade I've ever made. Order carefully, you need to match you headphones make/model. They are fantastic on the tube and on planes, Standard headphones (I'm now using Sennheiser Momentum Frees) with Inairs are better in an office, on the tube or in an aircraft at noise isolation -- plus a hugely improved bass response too. My trusty Sennheiser noise cancelling over ear headphones are now gathering dust. Only snag is they take ten seconds to put in your ears, but for £ 12 try then and see.....
Hmmm - interesting. Might give them a go.

Originally Posted by simonrp84
Can't wait to see how child-free flights work when there's disruption: Passengers with kids being forced to wait while others get put on a child-free flight? That'll go well.
Yup - not to mention the brand damage even if every flight WERE to run smoothly. So as an idea for a legacy carrier I don't reckon it'll ever truly fly (no pun intended).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Just refund the premium like a seat allocation. Easy peasy.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
You joke but my work with a major airline has seen us test the idea of "child free flights"...
Good luck running that by ECHR...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
What I have is an active noise cancelling earphones with custom-fitted noise-isolating earbuds. Active noise cancelling is not useful for sudden noises like screeches and shouts. Noise isolating earbuds essentially work as earplugs (so they are dual-function - they are earbuds for the earphones but they also block out external noise, to an extent) so they do help a bit, but even those do not sufficiently block out screaming children or shrieking/shouting adults, especially higher pitched ones.

I got these because those piercing sounds physically hurt my ears and I find them highly unpleasant and distressing (some kind of brain damage when I was born caused hypersensitive hearing and a few other problems with brain part of my ears, apparently) to the point it makes me feel like cutting off my ears (!) so that I can't hear them. Sadly, they only help a bit. Noise isolating earbuds are far more effective than the active noise cancelling part of them. Consequently, I spend quite a few flights in a complete state of quiet but utter misery because as I see it, it's my problem and not other people's so I have to put up and shut up, unless someone is being completely unreasonable (like shouting abuse at someone repeatedly or being genuinely unreasonably loud).

Sometimes though, the trouble is that the active noise cancelling reduces the background noise like engine droning, so you end up hearing other noises more clearly.

The combination works fairly well for blocking the snoring sound though!
Now I fully understand your first post in this thread.

This is really important context and underscores how a little empathy/kindness goes a long way. You just never know what hidden challenges others have to deal with.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:52 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
On children in First class...

You can afford a pair of First class tickets? You're in the top 1% of the social class? Then you should have means to have the infant in back with the hired help.

World is too child friendly, makes too many allowances for places people really shouldn’t be taking their kids.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
"How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Sheer Look of Terror in the Faces of Other Passengers when I Enter Premium Cabins with my Infant-in-Arms."
This made me smile. Thank you

Originally Posted by rickg523
Wait a minute. Wait a minute.
You got dozens of fingers wagged at you for having the the utter gall to bring a baby near an "elite" (in their minds only). Of course, these posters made the leap and accused your kid of the worst thing they could think of - crying.
And the baby basically babbled for an hour and half.
Babbling? This walking piece of filth went on a potty mouth run because your baby was happy?
Pretty much. He cried for about a total of 20 minutes throughout the 14 hour trip. He was asleep in total for around 9 hours of the 14 hour flight.

I'm still a little taken back anyone would defend his actions or even justify them. Just to be clear, I'm not saying he shouldn't of been upset about the baby or annoyed. But I still can't get over the fact he swore indirectly about him being on the flight. This was only around 3 hours (21:30 time of the destination and 00:30 UK time) into the flight of which is was asleep for about 2 of them.

The flight had 6 people in first (3 of them being us). So, it wasn't a busy cabin at all so was quieter then it could of been. His wife seemed friendly enough and smiled/waved at the little man in the morning just before landing.
flygirl68 and newyorklondon like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Dambus
This is really important context and underscores how a little empathy/kindness goes a long way. You just never know what hidden challenges others have to deal with.
There are indeed more people with hidden challenges than meet the eye (literally!) and sometimes making extra allowances both ways really do make life easier.

For instance, mildly autistic children may not be obvious but may present a lot of challenges to parents, and we really should recognise the effort the parents are making even if they aren't successful, or babies with ear pain who are crying because they can't equalise their ears (as we know, it really hurts and babies and children generally can't do it themselves without help like we adults can), to adults with 'hidden' issues that everyday things cause them serious distress that they can only just about cope with at best of times... They don't go out of the way to tell people about their problems but they might be silently suffering more than average, which might cause some to react more extremely and seemingly inappropriately.

I do everything I can to not make my problem other people's by not imposing my issues on others but it takes a lot of self-discipline not to get overtly/overly upset from time to time, and I can see people with similar problems find it very hard to deal with things from time to time.

What I find is that life isn't always black and white or simple, and those who seem to have a lot going for them in their lives (e.g. being able to fly F just as an example) may be suffering in some other ways, even if they aren't obvious.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by thecoogan
Just taken my long awaited first FIRST and unfortunately had it partially ruined by another passenger who thought it was acceptable to swear multiple times very loudy about the present of my 9 month old son. He didn’t have the guts to look at us whislt he was letting off his foul mouth.

The passenger really put a sour taste on the trip (we was only 3 hours in of the 14+ flight). It put me on edge the rest of the flight not knowing if the passenger would become abusive or aggressive to myself, wife or son.

I spoke to the cabin crew member who told me to ignore him (he already knew which passenger it was).

The little one only made noise for about 1.5 hours of the entire 14 hour flight. FYI we are parents that always make sure the noise is kept down. He has flown across all classes and we have never experienced anything like it prior.

Not sure what replies I’m expecting here just letting off some steam.
Did you apologies to him at first? Then he continued to bully you?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Did you apologies to him at first? Then he continued to bully you?
No, I didn't speak to the guy at all.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
I wasn’t necessarily joking!

My father’s money-making advice to me was - find a need, and fill it. Although not directly comparable to an airline, presumably Sandals resorts (and possibly other similar organisations that I am not familiar with) identified a need for adults-only holidays; and they filled that need.

Operational and logistical considerations notwithstanding there might also be a pent-up demand for, as you describe in your post, ‘child free flights’; alternatively, at the very least, child-free cabins.

Until one airline sticks their head above the parapet and attempts to fill such a need we’ll never really know whether the demand is there.

In the meantime I’m surprised that no one has yet started a new thread - Crying baby ruined First F.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
[left]
Operational and logistical considerations notwithstanding there might also be a pent-up demand for, as you describe in your post, ‘child free flights’; alternatively, at the very least, child-free cabins.
Scoot is doing young-child-free cabin in Y. I don't know how well they are doing but you have to pay extra to be in that cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.