Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FRA unable to provide water for 3 hour delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver

BA913 was cancelled yesterday and the airport staff were unable or unwilling to provide anything to drink or eat.

They also banned people from leaving the gate area until they knew what was happening with the flight, which took over 2 hours..

Surely they (FRA / BA) can do better than this even if it means bringing drinks off the flight?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry to hear you clearly had a very bad experience. Not sure what exactly happened or could have happened but I have never heard of supplies being taken off the plane to give to waiting passengers in the terminal.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Sorry to hear you clearly had a very bad experience. Not sure what exactly happened or could have happened but I have never heard of supplies being taken off the plane to give to waiting passengers in the terminal.
definitely seen it before in the US

Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:39 pm

Can they "ban" passengers from leaving the gate area? I'm sure they can't physically stop you(?), presumably they threatened to offload you if you left the gate area?
Wanderlust888 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SW7London
Can they "ban" passengers from leaving the gate area? I'm sure they can't physically stop you(?), presumably they threatened to offload you if you left the gate area?
Frankfurt has individual security checkpoints for groups of gates. I’ve never tried to go back once through, but I suspect there is an element of control of you physically leaving the gate area
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Highly unlikely that BA is able to bring any food or drink off an aircraft. Also unlikely that BA has any say in who gets to leave the gate area.

What OP has not provided and would be helpful is the "why" of the delay. In many situations where the delay is fluid, a repair may be made, or an ATC window may open on short notice. Inconveniencing passengers is just a cost of avoiding a 3-hour delay when it might have been a 1-hour delay.

That said, no reason why BA could not arrange or why FRA itself does not have a facility to assure that a few cases of water and some crackers can't be delivered to a gate.
Cymro and Wanderlust888 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I was on that flight.

We boarded the plane as normal around 7.50 pm for an 8.20 pm take off. Pre-flight checks revealed an electrical problem and we disembarked at around 8.40 for further power testing. By that time, cabin crew were already bringing refreshments up from the back, but didn’t make it as far as me in row 12. The flight was not empty but was fairly lightly loaded.

There were no refreshments at the gate and no real information until just after 10 pm, when we were informed of the possibility of using the night stopper to ferry us home. That was a good bit of lateral thinking but doomed from the start due to both crews being out of hours and the impending 11 pm curfew with the night stopper being slightly delayed. That is the point at which the flight should have been cancelled, and people were offered voluntary rebooking around that point, and free to leave the gate area if they did so. FRA security was of course long gone,

EU261, including duty of care, would not have kicked in then, so I elected to stay regardless of the chances of actually flying. Around 10.30 we were herded into the D7 bus gate and waited a further 10 min before the flight was cancelled. I called GGL and also booked the HGI of my own accord.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

@Cymro Thank you for giving more details on what happened.

I guess the GGL line is open 24/7? I tried calling the Silver line but it had closed at 8pm.

Originally Posted by Cymro
That was a good bit of lateral thinking but doomed from the start due to both crews being out of hours and the impending 11 pm curfew with the night stopper being slightly delayed.
That is the point at which the flight should have been cancelled, and people were offered voluntary rebooking around that point, and free to leave the gate area if they did so. FRA security was of course long gone. EU261, including duty of care, would not have kicked in then
Is this because of the 5-hour rule? I have read the EU261 FAQ and can't see what fits in with this.

Regarding the curfew, I had a similar situation with Ryanair at NRN once and permission to breach the curfew was actually granted. I wonder how the German authorities make their decisions on this.

Last edited by Wanderlust888; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:48 pm Reason: off topic
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by fruitcage
We definitely did in Mumbai( a few years ago) . The crew, including the captain, came out with soft drinks. We had been stuck there for about 3 hours and it took some negotation to allow us back out to put up in a hotel for the night.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Article 9 (duty of care) states

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:
(a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;

But Para 18 in the preamble states
Care for passengers awaiting an alternative or a delayed flight may be limited or declined if the provision of the care would itself cause further delay.
Which would also explain the reluctance to allow people to leave the gate area
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that all shops/cafes/refreshments are in the non-sterile area of the airport, so it would be not allowed for staff to bring any liquids to the gate.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:51 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
Regarding the curfew, I had a similar situation with Ryanair at NRN once and permission to breach the curfew was actually granted. I wonder how the German authorities make their decisions on this.
The nighttime curfew at FRA is sometimes pushed back by one hour when there are a number of e.g. weather-related delays but it seems unlikely they will lift it for individual delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.