Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Napkin buttonhole

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
This one is from AY, ca 2008. At lleast two of them always travel with me - the other one for Mrs timol who would not benefit from a buttonhole anyway. (Real length ca 2 cm)

Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Was it Turkish? We have a load of little wooden ones...
yup, it was Turkish. I seem to recall they were a turquoise colour.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I usually wear polo shirts when flying. I use the buttonholes all the time. You never know when a turbulence might ruin/stain whatever that you are wearing.

I flew BA once in J, a few years ago. If I remember correctly there were buttonholes on the napkins.

NH, BR, OZ all have napkins with buttonholes.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deckard
I was taught how to eat properly.
Speaking of
Story from my first visit to London, decades ago.
Was at a mid upscale restaurant in Marylebone and went to the loo. There was older gentleman also using the facilities.
I was washing my hands when he walked on by not stopping at the single sink. I said "Just finishing up."
His response, in the perfect Brit announcer accent, was "I was taught not to get my hands dirty when I urinate." And headed to the door.
I could only think to respond "Now I understand why Englishmen don't shake hands so much." (Which was one of the many "little differences" I had already noticed on this first visit to Britain).
ConfusedByBAEC likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Great Trivia: Who first put a button hole in an Airline napkin????

[QUOTE=ironmouse;30370172]On my infrequent BA flights over the last 18 months or so I've noticed that BA no longer have a button hole in their napkins. I've always appreciated the facility to attach my napkin to my shirt button. It can't be a cost saving desicion so why stop?
Flew Ethiopian last week and they still have the button hole in their napkins.
What gives or is this really an irrelevant observation?[/QUOTE

Not even wikapedia has this answer....

When the first DC-3 "DST" was placed in cross country service C. R. Smith (who worked closely with Douglas Aircraft on the "Deluxe Sleeper Transport" )
Had American Airline place a button hole on the napkins used on the DST. A very useful feature given the DC-3 flow at low altitudes becuse it was not preassurized. As you can well imagine there was a lot of low altitude turbulance in Texas.
The above is great trivia for airline buffs. and for Texas natives...
(Now if Doug "Spiderman" Parker could do something to improve American airlines other than run it into the ground.... 29" pitch. Fly in the back someday to Quito in one of your Tight 29" seat in coach on your new 737MAX... ) RANT>>

Cheers,
2old4 coach

Last edited by 2old4coach; Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 am Reason: wrong wording
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by rickg523
Speaking of
Was at a mid upscale restaurant in Marylebone and went to the loo. There was older gentleman also using the facilities.
I was washing my hands when he walked on by not stopping at the single sink. I said "Just finishing up."
His response, in the perfect Brit announcer accent, was "I was taught not to get my hands dirty when I urinate." And headed to the door.
I could only think to respond "Now I understand why Englishmen don't shake hands so much." (Which was one of the many "little differences" I had already noticed on this first visit to Britain).
Doubtless apocryphal …

Young man [after seeing Churchill leave the bathroom without washing his hands]: At Eton, they taught us to wash our hands after using the toilet.
Churchill: At Harrow, they taught us not to piss on our hands.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
There is an alternative version, with an Army and RAF officer using the loo. The Army officer observed rather bluntly, "Don't you wash your hands afterwards?". The RAF officer replied, "At Cranwell they taught us not to pi$$ on our hands."

A VERY old Military joke!
LTN Phobia and mtikky like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by T8191
As you enter your ‘Second Childhood’ you may find spillages become more frequent.
I know I do. That's why I carry a bib on flights that serve food. No need to worry about buttons.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deckard
Doubtless apocryphal …

Young man [after seeing Churchill leave the bathroom without washing his hands]: At Eton, they taught us to wash our hands after using the toilet.
Churchill: At Harrow, they taught us not to piss on our hands.
Damn! I never heard that. But I guess that gent had.
Thanks for the context.
But I still think it might explain the English reluctance to shake hands, compared to Americans. Of course, Brits might claim Americans are obsessed with hand shaking. And apparently, hand washing.
Anyway, jk. It was brought on by the way post I cited was put.
​​​​​
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
There is an alternative version, with an Army and RAF officer using the loo. The Army officer observed rather bluntly, "Don't you wash your hands afterwards?". The RAF officer replied, "At Cranwell they taught us not to pi$$ on our hands."

A VERY old Military joke!
Indeed - and exactly the one I was going to relay but you beat me to it!

rb211.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
As tacky as those round non-drip discs for wine bottles...
Yup. Tacky and naff
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Speaking of
Haha I always feel somewhat alarmed at the sight of the hand wash bottle in the ladies' loo in LHR T5 CCR being almost always nearly completely full.

I do wonder...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Smile Napkin button hole - useful on polo shirts too

I do like the buttonhole when available as I always seem to spill or drop something on myself. Doesn't have to be just dress shirts, 3 button polo shirt (my preferred long haul wear) can be used and help me to mitigate my spills.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I always feel somewhat alarmed at the sight of the hand wash bottle in the ladies' loo in LHR T5 CCR being almost always nearly completely full.
I've seen the rota for this (maybe I ought to have better hobbies) and the bottles get refilled 6 times per day in CCR "or more frequently if needed". You should have no concerns for your sisterhood.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by cmcrowell
3 button polo shirt (my preferred long haul wear) can be used and help me to mitigate my spills.
+1.

Incidentally - three posts in nine years? You should participate more often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.