Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 hours layover in T5-First Class ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:08 am

You would have to be utterly delusional to willing want to spend 10 hours in any airport lounge - even the very best lounges in the world (which the T5 CCR certainly isn't). No amount of mediocre food or slightly-above-average drinks in the T5 CCR would it make it close to bearable.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You would have to be utterly delusional to willing want to spend 10 hours in any airport lounge - even the very best lounges in the world (which the T5 CCR certainly isn't). No amount of mediocre food or slightly-above-average drinks in the T5 CCR would it make it close to bearable.
For sure.

But never mind a visit to our fine city of London with all that it offers (always something new to see !) ......... in a ten hour layover you could likely manage a mini-trip round the Cotswolds ......
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I once had about 9 hours in the Malaysian F lounge in KL due to a booking foul up. Reading and eating and drinking and showering took up about 3 hours. Thereafter, something in the drink, perhaps the alcohol, meant that I didn't remember the last few hours. I don't think there was anything much to stay awake for.
My only memory is how great all the lounge attendants were.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
I do like the sound of being able to visit CX and QF lounges in T3, however my CE flight is a domestic from T5.

So, does this sound plausible; Arrivals lounge T5, hop over to T3 and sample the delights of both the QF and CX lounges. Then back to T5 for the CCR?

Perhaps a couple of hours in each, people watching, sampling the fayre each place has to offer?

Many thanks to everyone who has offered their suggestions.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flipper118
So, does this sound plausible; Arrivals lounge T5, hop over to T3 and sample the delights of both the QF and CX lounges. Then back to T5 for the CCR?
The word "plausible" is open to challenge in this context, but in any case the above can't be done: Arrivals T5 is landside, and once you are landside you can't get to T3 very easily, particularly given the biometrics for UK and Ireland departures. You could in theory go to T3 first, then come back for the airside lounges in T5, but there is always the risk - not so far seen - of being declined lounge access in T3. A domestic destination may raise eyebrows.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Me and the Mrs. had a 7 hour morning layover at the CCR couple of months ago and I swear had it been 8 she had divorced me right then and there. Just saying.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by AnttiV
Me and the Mrs. had a 7 hour morning layover at the CCR couple of months ago and I swear had it been 8 she had divorced me right then and there. Just saying.
Slight variation on on a theme, but I can almost see the headline .. .....
Bored wife sues for divorce on grounds of unreasonable behaviour by lounge-lizard husband
smokie36 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load

Slight variation on on a theme, but I can almost see the headline .. .....
Bored wife sues for divorce on grounds of unreasonable behaviour by lounge-lizard husband
I suppose I could always just ask for my luggage to be tagged to LHR, make my way oop north and be home in time for Bargain Hunt
subject2load likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:26 am

I suppose I could always just ask for my luggage to be tagged to LHR, make my way oop north and be home in time for Bargain Hunt
Now there’s a plan !

TP runners in CCR on ‘promo’ F fares are, by nature, big fans of Bargain Hunt .....
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Now there’s a plan !

TP runners in CCR on ‘promo’ F fares are, by nature, big fans of Bargain Hunt .....
Does that mean they will be showing it on one of their ubiquitous TV screens?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Does that mean they will be showing it on one of their ubiquitous TV screens?
10 hours of Bargain hunt?! Eeeek!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Another question while we are here if that's ok; Is there anything I shouldn't miss out on in JFK? My flight is at 8:!5pm, so ill be making my way to T7 as soon as Im kicked out of my hotel.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Another question while we are here if that's ok; Is there anything I shouldn't miss out on in JFK? My flight is at 8:!5pm, so ill be making my way to T7 as soon as Im kicked out of my hotel.
Hi,
What time is your hotel check out - if you can get a 1 or 2 pm check out I would head to the airport but if you get kicked out at 11am I might spend a couple of extra hours in NYC.

If in F from JFK you could try to get a spa treatment as well as visiting the new First lounge as well as the Club lounge and CCR at T7

Regards

TBS
flipper118 likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Oct 28, 2018 at 4:29 am
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:08 am

.................................................. ....

Many thanks to everyone who has offered their suggestions.
Well you’ve certainly been given plenty of ideas (inc. some fun banter to & fro ....), and whatever you decide I hope you enjoy the overall experience.

I myself am firmly with all those FT-ers who are in little doubt that there are far better things to do than spend entire days in an airport waiting room - aka lounge ; but of course the ultimate choice is entirely yours.

Would just add one last thought of my own, and it’s prompted by your comment at the very start of the thread when you talked about getting your “money’s worth”. I do believe there’s often a big gap between hype and reality in terms any facility / service which might be at times portrayed (usually by the operator or supplier concerned !) as luxurious and uber-special, whether in the air or on the ground. Whilst pleasant places to kill a little time, not even the very best international airport lounges (and I doubt too many folk would consider BA’s as amongst them) could ever be categorised as seventh wonders of the world, and so as always perhaps worth managing expectations.

Best of luck and have a safe trip ^
rossmacd and flipper118 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Well you’ve certainly been given plenty of ideas (inc. some fun banter to & fro ....), and whatever you decide I hope you enjoy the overall experience.

I myself am firmly with all those FT-ers who are in little doubt that there are far better things to do than spend entire days in an airport waiting room - aka lounge ; but of course the ultimate choice is entirely yours.

Would just add one last thought of my own, and it’s prompted by your comment at the very start of the thread when you talked about getting your “money’s worth”. I do believe there’s often a big gap between hype and reality in terms any facility / service which might be at times portrayed (usually by the operator or supplier concerned !) as luxurious and uber-special, whether in the air or on the ground. Whilst pleasant places to kill a little time, not even the very best international airport lounges (and I doubt too many folk would consider BA’s as amongst them) could ever be categorised as seventh wonders of the world, and so as always perhaps worth managing expectations.

Best of luck and have a safe trip ^
Thanks for this, I understand most things are hyped to the max these days so disappointment is almost inevitable! I think Ill see how I get on in CCR and if boredom consumes me Il head out to meet a friend in RBKC, hopefully making it back in time for my flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.