Community
Wiki Posts
Search

744 UD CW window seat -> F (UuA)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Realistically Alaska miles are something like 1-2 UK pennies per in cash value in my valuation. Since I hold no BA/OW status the T3 lounge upgrade and getting 2K seemed better than paying more actual money and slightly less miles for a 747 UD seat, as sentimental as 747 UD might be (I’ve flown it on TG such as to check it off the list), or playing Club World seat lotto and risking a loss on the lower deck.

The BA carrier surcharges are less than ideal but summertime premium cabin (EU->USA) for 70.000 Alaska miles seemed OK. For whatever reason I was charged less UK APD if my first segment was in BA Y, so a relatively inexpensive multi-day London stopover after my AMS-LHR flight is part of this one-way (a feature with Alaska awards).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
With regards to finding availability for F (currently in similiar situation travelling to JFK in December in J), am i right in thinking they only update availability once a day, or should we be checking multiple times. Currently using BA app to check availability as it's quick and easy. I highly doubt I'll get anything (especially as we're 2 not 1), but always the off chance someone else may cancel their F reward flights and flights re-appear..
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Incidentally, and apologies if this is off topic, I paid for seat selection on this flight but seeing as I'm currently a lowly Blue I couldn't select 62AK / 64AK. Does anyone know if these open up to Blues at T-14 days?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Weebl
Incidentally, and apologies if this is off topic, I paid for seat selection on this flight but seeing as I'm currently a lowly Blue I couldn't select 62AK / 64AK. Does anyone know if these open up to Blues at T-14 days?
No I believe these only become available for Blue at online check in, when they would be free to select (but highly unlikely to be available). If you are of medium build or less you can go for 63A or 63K where you can slip out of the seat in the gap with the cabin wall so you don't have to step over anyone.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dougy_D
With regards to finding availability for F (currently in similiar situation travelling to JFK in December in J), am i right in thinking they only update availability once a day, or should we be checking multiple times. Currently using BA app to check availability as it's quick and easy. I highly doubt I'll get anything (especially as we're 2 not 1), but always the off chance someone else may cancel their F reward flights and flights re-appear..
It's often claimed on here it's once a day early in the morning - I can confirm I've bagged F seats on two occasions later in the day (after 5pm) that were not available at the usual morning check. Both times the flights were SIN & KUL if that makes a difference.

For the few moments it takes I'd check 2/3 times a day if desperate !
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
No I believe these only become available for Blue at online check in, when they would be free to select (but highly unlikely to be available). If you are of medium build or less you can go for 63A or 63K where you can slip out of the seat in the gap with the cabin wall so you don't have to step over anyone.
Thanks for the quick reply, that is somewhat frustrating given that I paid around £100 per leg on top of my J ticket to secure a seat allocation, but still cannot select 62AK/64AK. Still, as you suggest, I am currently in 63A which is the next best thing.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:20 am

Thanks for the quick reply, that is somewhat frustrating given that I paid around £100 per leg on top of my J ticket to secure a seat allocation, but still cannot select 62AK/64AK. Still, as you suggest, I am currently in 63A which is the next best thing.
Yes, annoying, the UD is special and they keep a lot of seats back for higher tiers. Don't worry, I love 63A/K. You're in a great seat in a great mini-cabin. Enjoy!
Weebl likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What are the rules about UD seats being held back? 64A is a bassinet so sometimes blocked, but 64K (my favourite) and Row 62 - held back for Golds only, or Silver as well?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
That's a good reason to upgrade to F if you can - you can get a refund of the seat fee.
Weebl likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...it's certainly worth a daily check in the UK morning times - make sure you've got everything handy if you need to call quickly (and who knows, it may be possible online if it's a BA.com booking and you haven't messed it about since the initial booking). Since it's a simple query I would use BA.com rather than BARF, the previous query should be recycled in My Executive Club so it won't take long to check. Or use the new-ish BAEC Avios App.
I may well be flogging a dead horse here, but presumably the 'ultimate' method of checking Avios upgrade availability is to go into MMB and click on "Upgrade this flight with Avios" (which currently gives the message "Sorry, we cannot upgrade your booking because there is no availability.").

I'm also presuming there is no need to call up and this can all be managed online, unless I'm missing something?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Thanks for the quick reply, that is somewhat frustrating given that I paid around £100 per leg on top of my J ticket to secure a seat allocation, but still cannot select 62AK/64AK.
Yes, annoying, the UD is special and they keep a lot of seats back for higher tiers.
The current position is an improvement for those who have to pay to pre-allocate seats: the immediate preceding position was that the 747 upper deck was only available to those who could pre-allocate for free. If you had to pay, you couldn't pay for an upper deck seat at all.
Originally Posted by ratypus
What are the rules about UD seats being held back?
AIUI, the following seats are available to those who have to pay to pre-allocate:-
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
For those who do not have to pay to pre-allocate, all upper deck seats are available except for the blocked seats 60B (on some flights) and 64A (bassinet).
Weebl likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
I may well be flogging a dead horse here, but presumably the 'ultimate' method of checking Avios upgrade availability is to go into MMB and click on "Upgrade this flight with Avios" (which currently gives the message "Sorry, we cannot upgrade your booking because there is no availability.").

I'm also presuming there is no need to call up and this can all be managed online, unless I'm missing something?
Never works for me. I always get "Sorry but we are currently unable to change or cancel your booking online."
. Not sure if that's because its a Flight + Hotel booking or because I have a domestic leg attached. But checking my mobile app is just as quick.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

I'm now 2 days away from my BA275 LHR-LAS, it's still showing:

F4 A3 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H8 K6 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G5

Do you think there still a chance for UUA (J->F) to open up at this stage or is it more likely to be POUG/AUP, or indeed no chance of any upgrade availability?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I'm now 2 days away from my BA275 LHR-LAS, it's still showing:

F4 A3 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H8 K6 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G5

Do you think there still a chance for UUA (J->F) to open up at this stage or is it more likely to be POUG/AUP, or indeed no chance of any upgrade availability?
As I said upthread, UAA is not going to happen. BA never offer redemption space (which is what UUA requires) on flights where they aren't willing to offer discounted seats in the cabin below (I have never seen first award space when no D class is offered). OK shot of an AUP though.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the background info, makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.