Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 16 SYD to LHR one or two eligible flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver

Hi there

I just booked my flight BA 16 from Sydney to London via Singapore for next month. I was just wondering if this flight will be counted as one or two eligible flights towards my executive club account?

Cheers
Yan
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Yan Zhao
Hi there

I just booked my flight BA 16 from Sydney to London via Singapore for next month. I was just wondering if this flight will be counted as one or two eligible flights towards my executive club account?

Cheers
Yan
1 flight, also tier points will be for one flight.
Yan Zhao likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gshumway
1 flight, also tier points will be for one flight.
Thanks! This is a bit of a shame as I could have booked the two flight separately or chosen to connect in Hong Kong
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:04 pm

Thanks! This is a bit of a shame as I could have booked the two flight separately or chosen to connect in Hong Kong
If you book it as BA12 then BA16 thats 2 flights.
Yan Zhao and george77300 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk Yan, you will see there is a wealth of information here and on the BA board in particular a number of extremely knowledgeable people.

For this flight as was mentioned above there is only one set of tier points and Avios however the number if higher than on a flight from LHR to SIN for example. To maximize the tier points people regularly change in Singapore between the BA 16 and BA 12 or do a stopover in Singapore breaking up the flight in 2 sectors.

As an TP example in Club World (Business class):
LHR SYD = 240
LHR-SIN + SIN-SYD = 160+140 = 300
So basically the break would give you 60 tier points (in CW).

The calculator is here:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

Globalist
Yan Zhao and Newbtravelle like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
The usual advice is that you can cancel without penalty within 24 hours so you might want to consider cancelling and re-booking as 2 separate flights.
Yan Zhao likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
I got stung by this trying to upgrade SYD-SIN using Avios. Because it was a single flight number, and there wasn’t Avios availability SIN-LHR, system wouldn’t allow it.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall timings aren’t affected too badly if you book the different flight numbers, so would aim for that in future (plus tier points as mentioned above).
Yan Zhao likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by woglet86
I got stung by this trying to upgrade SYD-SIN using Avios. Because it was a single flight number, and there wasn’t Avios availability SIN-LHR, system wouldn’t allow it.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall timings aren’t affected too badly if you book the different flight numbers, so would aim for that in future (plus tier points as mentioned above).
SYD-SIN, SIN-LHR and SYD-LHR are three different availability sectors. You will need availability that matches the ticket you have. It's not even for sure that SYD-LHR will be available if both SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR are available separately.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:42 am

A few years ago BA discouraged changing flights in SIN on the SYD-SIN-LHR route, apparently because of a fairly tight connection. Now, however, it can be booked on ba.com. If the OP is rebooking, he (or she) should forget connecting in Hong Kong if collecting TP is significant. HKG-LHR gives 90 TP in WT+, 140 in CW, compared with 100 and 160, respectively, for SIN-LHR.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RGS5526
If the OP is rebooking, he (or she) should forget connecting in Hong Kong if collecting TP is significant. HKG-LHR gives 90 TP in WT+, 140 in CW, compared with 100 and 160, respectively, for SIN-LHR.
But either is still better than SYD-LHR as a single sector, and the further difference for SIN-LHR must be seen in that perspective:-
  • [*]
  • [*]
"Forget about connecting in Hong Kong" is therefore probably over-stating the case. And given what the OP was concerned about (sector count), there is no difference between the two routings considering that BA codes are available on SYD-HKG (it makes no difference that they are operated by someone else).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Globalist for your advice! When I booked it I was mainly considering less connecting time and avoidance of the other daily flight operated by A380 from SIN to LHR (crazy huh) because of the number of passengers it carries (i.e. longer queue at boarding, longer queue at baggage reclaim etc). My tier points this year will be enough to maintain my silver membership but not quite enough for gold, so I guess that extra 60 points if I were to book my journey on two flights wouldn't make a difference to me except for the eligible segments. I will be travelling from the UK to France fairly frequently in November and December anyway, so 4 eligible flights won't be an issue for me either! But for future reference I will definitely consider booking my flight between LHR and SYD separately!

Cheers
Yan
Globalist likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
SYD-SIN, SIN-LHR and SYD-LHR are three different availability sectors. You will need availability that matches the ticket you have. It's not even for sure that SYD-LHR will be available if both SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR are available separately.
Indeed. And this is a counter-point to the two separate booking logic -- if you are lucky enough to find SYD-LHR availability, it will require less Avios to upgrade than separate upgrades for SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.