Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Captain's children have been moved to First Class...no upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald

BA Executive Gold, 60K tier points/ One World Emerald/ AA Exec Plat, 2million miles plus....I just fly too much.

Recent trip from Heathrow to New York.
I was informed that I would not receive an upgrade as I was boarding...."Really? But the website was just showing 3 empty seats in first."
"Yes, but the Captain has directed us to give those to his 3 adult children. You'll have a lovely seat in business, that you booked."
"But, they fly for free in coach."
"The Captain has directed us, sir. Enjoy your flight."
On board, the purser was not pleased with Captain's demands and he voiced it to me.
The daughter was apparently in tears for not being in first....she was easily in her late teens.
I felt I should complain to BA, but they have fallen so far of the grid in their service, I know all I would get was a "Sorry, sir, for your inconvenience" letter.

Is this some sort of new policy at BA or just another sign of the Apocalypse.....?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:39 am

Why would you expect to receive an upgrade? This is not AA. BA does not upgrade pax purely because there are empty seats in a higher cabin. If you are a regular BA traveller you should be well aware of this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
If you want to fly First then pay for First..... don't expect BA to give you an upgrade you haven't paid for.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
*del* (others were faster )
stu1985 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Donk93953
I was informed that I would not receive an upgrade as I was boarding...."Really? But the website was just showing 3 empty seats in first."
Why would you believe you should get an upgrade just because there were free seats in a higher cabin than you booked? Unlike US based airlines very few European airlines give free upgrades to status members just because there are free seats. Instead upgrades to passengers are usually as a result of cabins being overbooked. If J was not oversold on your flight I wouldn't expect anyone to be upgraded from J to F.

I am not sure what your grounds of complaint would be? You booked business and you sat in business.

As to what happens with free seats in other cabins I am not clear why the agent even gave you that information - it isn't really any of your business.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
Interesting...BA crew has moved me up a number of times as well as Air France, when seats were available in first cabin.
My naiveté about BA procedures has lead me to the question posted.
Perhaps, if BA would upgrade passengers like AA....well, why would any business want to retain frequent customers?
How silly of me to raise the question.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Interesting...they've moved me up a number of times when seats were available in first cabin.
My naiveté about BA procedures has lead me to the question posted.
Perhaps, if BA would upgrade passengers like AA....well, why would any business want to retain frequent customers?
How silly of me to raise the question.
It's fine to raise the question but you have the answer. BA don't just hand out upgrades willy nilly. Who knows why you got upgrades previously? If BA followed the AA method of upgrading, they'd have a load of folk booking business in the knowledge that they'd more often than not get bumped up to First. It's not what BA do.

That's one way to do it, and probably a more US style model. However, BA and other European airlines don't do it - the reason they would not do it is that people would consistently book lower cabins and expect automatic upgrades. It's just a different way of managing your cabins.
nancypants, the810 and stu1985 like this.

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Are you new here? Welcome if so
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Handing out free upgrades is a terrible practice that leads to less bookings in higher cabins and lower comfort for those who actually pay for them. US airlines do it, because all other US airlines do it and no one can afford to stop it before others. Difference between business and first is worth thousands of euros in fare, that's quite an expensive gift.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If you have been upgraded on BA in the past then there would have been a good reason for it and it certainly wasn't just because there was space in F and nor would it have been because the staff chose you. The BA upgrade programme - DUT - chose you because they needed a seat in club. Your status etc would have been a factor in that so loyalty got you higher on the list.

It would have been because of overbooking in WT and WTP so they needed a seat in club so some one got moved to F.

I would hate it of BA started 'upgrade just because there is space' business. The overblown sense of entitlement shown on some of the USA based airlines boards would not be a pleasant addition to the BA board.
nancypants and PrimaVista like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
When you asked about complimentary upgrades to first a year ago, you were informed that BA does not provide complimentary upgrades when booking international business and there happens to be an empty seat in first.
Upgrade? OneWorld Emerald with American.
You can upgrade using avios (if available) or purchase an airport upgrade (again, if available).

AA also does not officially provide complimentary upgrades to EXP or CKs to international first under similar circumstances. You generally need to use a SWU or miles. Not discounting that you may have been upgraded from time to time but you will find a number of EXP and CKs in the AA forum that are using SWUs and not receiving complimentary upgrades internationall (or not having their SWUs clear and being stuck in coach.
AA will provide you with a complimentary drink and snack in economy.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Oct 21, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Surely this thread is a complete wind up?!? The OP sounds like a treasure 😁
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'm guessing the OP doesn't know the secret wink.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I'm guessing the OP doesn't know the secret wink.
i thougt we agreed you wouldn’t post that! Now everyone will know
nancypants and Gastrocnemius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.