Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Ideas for trip Ex NA to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Need Ideas for trip Ex NA to Asia

I'm in the preliminary planning stages of a trip using Avios. I will preface by saying the whole program confuses me to no end as migrating from a set mileage program (Aeroplan) to Avios is confusing.
I'm trying to book 2 F tickets departing from any North America airport to Japan for a week, then on to China for 3 weeks before leaving back to North America. What would be the most economical way to do this?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:26 pm

Cathay Pacific is probably your best bet here. What are your actual departure/destination cities? And how many avios do you have?
oiboy likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oiboy
I'm in the preliminary planning stages of a trip using Avios. I will preface by saying the whole program confuses me to no end as migrating from a set mileage program (Aeroplan) to Avios is confusing.

I'm trying to book 2 F tickets departing from any North America airport to Japan for a week, then on to China for 3 weeks before leaving back to North America.

What would be the most economical way to do this?
When do you want to travel and from which USA region? To where in China?
BA award cost is by sector. Not set by regions.
Getting the long haul with awards and paid local flights in Asia is an option

First class routes are limited. You may find more routes with business class

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

https://www.oneworld.com/flights/where-we-fly

Guide to cost in avios (may not be accurate) https://www.awardhacker.com/
oiboy likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I'm flexible with departure point in NA. Was looking at YVR/SFO/LAX - NRT/HND/KIX/- via HKG to CSX (stop) to -YVR/SFO/LAX via HKG

Have about 350K MR AMEX Points. Will transfer and get a 30% bonus. Planning on departing sometime in the last two weeks out of North America spending a week in Japan and then 3 weeks in China (for CNY) before heading back to Canada.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:41 pm

You want to use the multi-carrier award chart in that case. If you do some sectors in F but the longest sector in business you can do 20k miles for 200k Avios each. Or 180k if you keep it under 14k miles which is doable with that routing.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flexible with departure point in NA. Was looking at YVR/SFO/LAX - NRT/HND/KIX/- HKG-CSX-HKG-YVR/SFO/LAX

Have about 350K MR AMEX Points. Will transfer and get a 30% bonus.
West coast will be easier then mid or east coast USA/Canada
Also look at from SEA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...tional_Airport

If transferring from Amex MR why only considering BA? Do you have BA avios now or other ff miles in other programmes?
Amex Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
West coast will be easier then mid or east coast USA/Canada
Also look at from SEA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...tional_Airport

If transferring from Amex MR why only considering BA? Do you have BA avios now or other ff miles in other programmes?
Amex Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?
With M/R in Canada the only viable options on a 1:1 transfer is Aeroplan which would be 210K for a F Reward or Avios which offers a 30% bonus right now.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You want to use the multi-carrier award chart in that case. If you do some sectors in F but the longest sector in business you can do 20k miles for 200k Avios each. Or 180k if you keep it under 14k miles which is doable with that routing.
Not sure if I quite grasp what you mean by this. Sorry for sounding obtuse.

If for example I flew YVR-NRT on JAL in J and the NRT-HKG-CSX in F&J (HKG-CSX is J only) on Dragon Air / Cathay Then CSX-HKG (J Class) and HKG-YVR in J would it be less points or based on J mileage as the longest segments would be in J.?

Last edited by oiboy; Oct 7, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Not sure if I quite grasp what you mean by this. Sorry for sounding obtuse.

If for example I flew YVR-NRT on JAL in J and the NRT-HKG-CSX in F&J (HKG-CSX is J only) on Dragon Air / Cathay Then CSX-HKG (J Class) and HKG-YVR in J would it be less points or based on J mileage as the longest segments would be in J.?
Read this portion of the Guide:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29235582-post4.html
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:33 am

Have you considered an awards booking service? This strikes me as a situation you could get benefit from having someone to assist (BEFORE you transfer the MR!)
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Have you considered an awards booking service? This strikes me as a situation you could get benefit from having someone to assist (BEFORE you transfer the MR!)

Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.