Wiki Posts
Search

BA/ OW London- Chennai W/J options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
BA/ OW London- Chennai W/J options

Thinking of flying BA on the LHR-MAA (Chennai) route in the first two weeks of November (intend to be there between 5-11Nov flexible dates). I have a few questions with regards to sales on this route which will determine my class of travel:

1. What is the loading in J on a typical flight, does this get full a lot?
2. Does W sell well on this route and is it prone to oversales?
3. Does BA oversell Y on this route?

Just trying to work out my chances for a W->J upgrade through AUP/POUG/DUT. The price difference between W and J is £1500+ on a return so am just trying to work out whether I should shell out on J or play the upgrade lottery. For me W is just fine normally for a proper long haul but the outbound is a pain in the backside for timing and my trip is for 3 days...

i have played around with ex-EU but can’t find a good deal..

HELP!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Could you take the day flight to BOM, overnight there and then take an Indian carrier to MAA?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BA executive club Gold, United milage plus Gold
Seeing that I have traveled twice this year on BA35/36 (with another trip coming up next week), here are my observations:
- J is pretty much always full - never seen an empty seat so far.
- WT+ is usually only about half full
I'd say your chance of an upgrade are very low on this route.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Could you take the day flight to BOM, overnight there and then take an Indian carrier to MAA?
Beat me to it. Typically Jetstar is the most expensive, Air Asia and Indigo are probably £70 each way max. so would be a good link choice from BOM or BLR etc.

One thing to note is Indigo has lots of flights a day and if you are early at the airport it is only 1000 rupees to change to an earlier flight. Don't book flights with the Indigo APP. It doesn't work. Your bank is charged but they don't see the money and cancel your tickets. Do it via a PC or use the app MakeMyTrip. Happened to me on a Indigo App booking on 20th Sept and also the phone call by my india distributor.
fotographer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Beat me to it. Typically Jetstar is the most expensive, Air Asia and Indigo are probably £70 each way max. so would be a good link choice from BOM or BLR etc.

One thing to note is Indigo has lots of flights a day and if you are early at the airport it is only 1000 rupees to change to an earlier flight. Don't book flights with the Indigo APP. It doesn't work. Your bank is charged but they don't see the money and cancel your tickets. Do it via a PC or use the app MakeMyTrip. Happened to me on a Indigo App booking on 20th Sept and also the phone call by my india distributor.
BLR is an overnighter arriving very early too. I think the only day flights to India with BA are BOM and DEL. The Marriott Mumbai Sahar is close to the terminal and a great hotel. YMMV but a proper nights sleep there and a £50 hop on 9W in the morning would be the much better option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.