Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in a baby car seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SAA Voyager prog
Checking in a baby car seat

Quick question: is it ok to check in a baby car seat on a LH flight, without a child? I need to transport one back to my daughter that she left with me on her last trip to us, as she didn't need to use it on her way home (she had another one she could use). She asked me if I could bring it with me on my flight next week.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
No problem (I've done it before) but it will count as one piece of luggage.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
you can check in anything you like as long as it's with your baggage allowance and the weight / size limits.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They get fussy if you do check a car seat in with a child. They usually ask you to remove the child first.
Takiteasy, LTN Phobia and babats like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:28 pm

I remember many years ago having an argument with (I think) QF when booked on a domestic. They wanted us to pay extra for my son’s car seat. I argued that his car seat was no different in safety terms to an elderly person’s Zimmer frame or suchlike, which would be loaded for free for use at the other end.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Definitely invest in a cover for it, else it'll (possibly) emerge at the other end so filthy it's unusable. We use a "Koo-Di Stroller Travel & Storage Bag - Grey & Purple" (Google will help find it) and have been very impressed with it. Well worth the 15GBP investment
Other brands are probably also available!! (No relationship with whoever makes them)
lavajava and Takiteasy like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by so3003
Definitely invest in a cover for it, else it'll (possibly) emerge at the other end so filthy it's unusable. We use a "Koo-Di Stroller Travel & Storage Bag - Grey & Purple" (Google will help find it) and have been very impressed with it. Well worth the 15GBP investment
Other brands are probably also available!! (No relationship with whoever makes them)
We also had a bag for ours. Sunshine kids I think. It was indispensable.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Amazon has a number of them (as well as for strollers). Cost in the US is around $10.

Don't ever send something you would put your kid into in the hold of an aircraft unless it's bagged.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SAA Voyager prog
Thanks, guys! I'll check the car seat, but put it into a cover first, making sure that there is no child in it before I do that!
so3003 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you want a super cheap but effective cover, get one of those large tartan laundry bags from the pound shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.