Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA at London-Gatwick 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think I put some notes on the Cologne thread but there isn't a BA lounge provision. I doubt there is AUP provision anyway. There is a basic Priority Pass lounge. You can't OLCI on this route, you have to use the check-in desks.
Thanks for this. I did a quick search but couldn’t find this thread. Will try not to buy too much at the market and stick to ET HBO then, hopefully check in is efficient.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I think I put some notes on the Cologne thread but there isn't a BA lounge provision. ... There is a basic Priority Pass lounge.
I did a quick search but couldn’t find this thread.
It's possible that c-w-s was thinking of this post: BA Lounge Database | Europe
lcylocal likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Not strictly BA but worth noting in this thread that the flybe operated PSO domestic route NQY-LGW will end in March 19 with the route transferring to LHR x4 daily.

This route operated with amongst others a BA codeshare. And reduces the BA domestic options at LGW to EDI & GLA

cs
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Ah thank you. Very helpful.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Many thanks, and I also put some comments on CGN / Cologne here in the back to back thread too:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30448791-post2584.html
lcylocal likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:50 pm

Sorry if this is not the appropriate thread for my question, but not sure where else to ask.

On 11 January I have a connection flying ARN-LHR arriving 0920 and departing LGW-TPA at 12:25. I am BA Silver, and will not travel with bags, so the 3 hours should be fine. Now, when should I book the NaEx bus ticket? I see a bus that will work with my times above for 19GBP, which I guess will be the lowest. How much does the ticket cost if I instead decide to buy it at Heathrow? Also, how strict is NaEx on only allowing to board the bus I am booked on? If the inbound gets in early, I would hate to see 2-3 buses leave just because I booked a later service.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by B747forever
Sorry if this is not the appropriate thread for my question, but not sure where else to ask.

On 11 January I have a connection flying ARN-LHR arriving 0920 and departing LGW-TPA at 12:25. I am BA Silver, and will not travel with bags, so the 3 hours should be fine. Now, when should I book the NaEx bus ticket? I see a bus that will work with my times above for 19GBP, which I guess will be the lowest. How much does the ticket cost if I instead decide to buy it at Heathrow? Also, how strict is NaEx on only allowing to board the bus I am booked on? If the inbound gets in early, I would hate to see 2-3 buses leave just because I booked a later service.
Welcome!

Your question is possibly more suited to the UK and Ireland forum but I’m sure you’ll get some help here.

The way I check NatEx prices in advance, v on the day, is to check your chosen travel date and then also check tomorrow’s date. It isn’t exact, but gives me a good idea.

I almost always buy my ticket at the coach station on arrival. There are reports of drivers letting passengers board with ‘expired’ tickets (for the previous coach etc), but that’s not something I like to chance.

You can also add some flexibility to your ticket when booking in advance (for £5 I think), which allows you to change coach to another on the same day. The details can be found when you book a ticket. I haven’t done this before.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.

Is this all on one ticket?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:56 pm

The standard fare is £27 for a designated service however for £28.50 you can buy a flexible ticket and change services. They are good at that, I've done it before several times.

Promotional tickets can be cheaper but you are tied on timings.

Not sure what difference your BA Silver status makes here.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Just wondering if anyone in the know can update thread about numbers of aircraft to be based at Gatwick for Summer 2019. The schedules would indicate 26 to 30 Airbus 319/320 needed depending on which part of the season. With the new deliveries to Heathrow I would imagine BA will cover Gatwick with its own aircraft next year. There was a mention at the IAG Capital Markets Day that Gatwick would become an all A320 base for short haul. Not sure about the timings though. Long haul wise I can see a need for up to 15 777s as there are a number of frequency increases to long haul routes.
As far as routes are concerned I wonder if anymore will be announced for next summer. With Flybe moving Newquay to Heathrow I wonder of BA would be tempted to put in a once daily service from Gatwick in peak season? They did this a few years ago I believe.
As always any updates about fleet and routes appreciated.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by simons1
The standard fare is £27 for a designated service however for £28.50 you can buy a flexible ticket and change services. They are good at that, I've done it before several times.

Promotional tickets can be cheaper but you are tied on timings.

Not sure what difference your BA Silver status makes here.
We always pay the extra for the NEx Flex ticket. That covers both late and early arrival of the inbound ac. Worth a few extra ££ for peace of mind, IMO.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
We always pay the extra for the NEx Flex ticket. That covers both late and early arrival of the inbound ac. Worth a few extra ££ for peace of mind, IMO.
From what I can make out, the drivers generally don't mind if you take an earlier or later service and there is space (which there usually is); at LGW there is sometimes a coach coordinator and at least one of them will check for this, but even she can be sweet talked. But as you say, some people like their ducks lined up.
T8191 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
From what I can make out, the drivers generally don't mind if you take an earlier or later service and there is space (which there usually is); at LGW there is sometimes a coach coordinator and at least one of them will check for this, but even she can be sweet talked. But as you say, some people like their ducks lined up.
Agreed, same experience here I usually get a ticket for a specific coach but sometimes swap on the day if I arrive early/late. Being carry on bags only helps I think.

My recommdation is avoid the LGW coach coordinator as they seem to try and apply the rules - just talk directly to the driver.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:50 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess safest option will be to pay for the flexible ticket, as the BA771 usually arrives 15-20 minutes early from the many times I have taken that flight.

Yes, it will all be on one ticket, wouldn't risk such a connection on separate tickets. I mentioned my status as it might be helpful to get through security faster at LGW.

Another question, if the inbound into LHR arrives 45-60 minutes late, should I still try to make it to LGW, or should I instead try to get rebooked already at LHR?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A parting comment on Flex. We hopped on a random coach LGW-LHR that was actually en route to Bristol and Cardiff. There was hardly a spare seat ... we were separated by 2 rows. First time we’ve ever encounted a crowded coach ... we usually seem to get 1J/K

But ... Hopping on ‘the first/next one’ may not be a great experience, and might even result in off-loading or denied boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.