Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proactive seat change notification!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Proactive seat change notification!

Has BA changed their approach to notifying BA initiated seat changes? Just got shifted from row 8 to 13 (ET now starts at row 9) on a flight later this week and was sent an email notifying me of the change.

having seen the rants about changes not being notified in the past is this a genuine enhancement?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Had a few of these, but also seat changes with no email received.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes this has been happening for at least the last few months. It doesn't tell you specifically what your seat has changed from or to, but does say it has changed for operational reasons so you are prompted to check MMB.

Just to note the emails only seem to be sent if your seat number changes. If there is an aircraft change but your seat number stays the same you still get no notification - as I found out when my flight yesterday had been swapped from a A319 to a A321 and my previously selected 10F was no longer quite as comfortable as I had hoped!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:08 am

Better than that, I was moved from an exit row seat to an exit row seat.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
The sneaky change of metal can be a real pain if one's exit row seat suddenly isn't ... that's why I obsessively check MMB for several days up to T-25 hours.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:39 pm

I only ever get that email 10 minutes before another email saying that my flight got cancelled. Had that happen 3x now so not really a coincidence...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Ah, interesting. Hadn’t realised it had been going on for a few months (or the same seat number / aircraft change point, obviously).

At least BA kept me in a window seat with a (currently) empty middle seat. As I have a checked bag this time I’m not too fussed about moving back several rows.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I had a seat number change notification email a couple of months back. When checking MMB, not only had my seat changed but my original flight had been cancelled. It was the only way I had found out my flight had been cancelled. No email to notify me of that which was a bit of a poor show considering the flight they had rebooked me on departed LHR 10 hours before my non-cancelled flight from GLA was due to depart

S
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
usually dreaded beep at gate. last Tue even, A380 inbound to LHR in best 2A seat, beeped and moved to another free F seat (asked why and was told 2A seat belt broken)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I had the email in the middle of the night - a 777-200 ER for a 777-200ER with 5 rows of PE and not 3! It's only when you did deep, you realise that there are 6 or so 777-200 configs. The LGW old and densified I get, the no first I also get - but the other configs bewilder slightly. I get that having a number of configs they can match supply with demand in various classes. But having several iterations must mean occasionally they operate the wrong config when they run out of the "right one" - whatever that is!
In my case, I've gone from 24 to 40 PE seats overnight blowing any chance of an involuntary upgrade - I assume a surge in demand in one class has changed the config unless it's a predictive maintenance cycle. Still - at least I got the email - two actually, 2 mins apart. No harm done, a first world problem, and some proactive info from BA!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
A positive move IMHO, well done BA.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Marriott, Hertz
Upgrade to WTP at check-in

Last autumn I was rushing from my late arrival from Helsinki, across Heathrow to another booking, a BA flight on a 777 to HKG, and when I arrived to check in around the last minute, I found my seat had been moved from 28K (WT) to 21D (WTP) - now I had done my online check in and picked the best seat (as BA Silver) as I could without paying an extra fee.

Is there a method to this? What happens if a BA Gold/Silver doesn't do the online check-in, does the BA system suggest the best seat for Executive Club members?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.