Search

BA F vs Oman J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:53 pm
PxC
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
BA F vs Oman J

I know the obvious answer when you read the title, so I do wonder if this forum is giving me too much of a negative view of BA.....

Myself and the other half will be flying to BK for two weeks (end of November) for two weeks, and I am genuinely stuck between choosing Oman J or BA F. It's her 30th, and I've always wanted to include her in a trip where she can turn left...

My last few trips have all been QR J, whereas I usually use BA for shorthaul. I actually rated my CW trip back from LA, albeit in an upper deck window seat of an A380 with direct aisle access. Other seats and other planes would probably drop the opinion significantly. The crew were decent (without the free flowing desire to serve of QR cabin crew), and the food, dare I say it, was as good as anything I've had on QR.

The options now are BA AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK for £1380 rtn w/GUF2, or Oman from Paris (£1230) which flies back into London. Both flights have near perfect flight times. The problem with BA, is that the reverse herringbone really does not excite me when travelling as a couple (for the same reason I would take the 'old QR' seat over the newer one if travelling with a significant other). This is actually my biggest issue. When dine on demand seems to be almost discouraged, and not the 'have as many mains as we can supply' that QR offer, and food that is decent but doesn't get rave reviews (for First, anyway). Considering the Concorde lounge is BA's flagship, it most probably doesn't compare well to the Pier in HKG, which obviously offers a benefit to choosing BA on the way home. Positioning in AMS is a disadvantage as I probably have to go the night before, whereas I can be a bit more flexible with Paris as there are other routes there if I needed to do it some other way within 12 hours... The price difference for BA is offset by the fact I would earn 35k or so avios and a bunch of TP towards the next gold. The disadvantage being I wouldn't mind keeping myGUF2 for another trip. Obviously the longer segment LHR-HKG is an advantage.

Oman on the other hand offers the Apex suite on all four sectors, secondly only I would imagine to the Q suite, and probably even more comfortable than that. They use the Cathay lounge in Paris, and their lounge in BKK looks decent. TBH, they strike me as a B version of QR, with a better seat (which is what matters most).

Am I nuts for having a genuine dilemma here? I'm learning towards Oman if anything, positioning on BA from LHR at 8am (Gold means lounge access etc) for a day in Paris before a 9pm flight. Any imput to help this decision appreciated!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'd take Oman Air simply for the shorter flight time....and your OH may question why you are flying further than BKK just to turn back around again.

I know I would....also I'd be questioning the AMS starting point.

The Oman Air lounge is decent for Bangkok standards and has some proper fizz.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:26 pm
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smokie36
I'd take Oman Air simply for the shorter flight time....and your OH may question why you are flying further than BKK just to turn back around again.

I know I would....also I'd be questioning the AMS starting point.

The Oman Air lounge is decent for Bangkok standards and has some proper fizz.
Thanks, slightly suprised this is the first piece of advice I read! I guess its worth mentioning that on the way out we would have a night in HKG if going with BA (and on to BKK with Cathay the following morning). Extra city to check out and tick off, but given all the flights etc maybe it would be too much travelling/****ing around (when you consider also flying around Thailand)?
SCLNRT likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oman Air is great and would take it in a heartbeat - good product, excellent service and excellent catering ( service style akin to 1st class rather than business )

Used it several times now and rate it as a great carrier in business class

The new terminal at Muscat is also really great for connections and the Oman business class lounge is very decent

If everything else was equal, I would still take WY - here the routing even seems better

You can also enjoy dine on demand on WY without it being discouraged

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:27 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PxC
Thanks, slightly suprised this is the first piece of advice I read! I guess its worth mentioning that on the way out we would have a night in HKG if going with BA (and on to BKK with Cathay the following morning). Extra city to check out and tick off, but given all the flights etc maybe it would be too much travelling/****ing around (when you consider also flying around Thailand)?
i'm sure both ways would be terrific but having done the HK stop on the way to BKK on Cathay in biz I would not repeat the experience....it was very tiring especially on the return leg.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Is Oman Air's fleet currently all Apex Suites?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by oh_lol
Is Oman Air's fleet currently all Apex Suites?
Not all but from CDG and LHR you’re pretty much guaranteed it and BKK also highly likely. If you get 4 x 787 you’ll be in for a great hard product, almost every bit the equal of BA 777 and 747 F to me.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:15 am
PxC
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice

I wouldn’t have a problem with the old Oman business anyway, it’s huge and pretty much the same size as Qatar’s First class from the pictures. 1-2-1 with no foot cubbies or anything.

Didnt realise Oman is dine on demand, that’s a solid plus.

Fwiw the long haul BA flights would be A380. Suprised about the HKG connection being tiresome and not preferable over a connection with six hour flights either side.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smokie36
i'm sure both ways would be terrific but having done the HK stop on the way to BKK on Cathay in biz I would not repeat the experience....it was very tiring especially on the return leg.
Everyone is different but I like the late arrival in BKK and early morning in London after a long sleep. Enough time for a night out, then bed in the hotel, a lie in and I’m adjusted. Much less tiring for me than a break in the journey in MCT (though my experience is with QR and DOH). Then again I would do AMS-LHR the night before and LHR-AMS in the evening after arrival for acclimatisation.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Definitely would go with Oman J as well. I find the service outstanding and catering better than BA F. The flight times also make it a much more comfortable journey and the BA routing seems too tiring. Have used to J lounge in BKK and MCT, and they are both great. BKK lounge has excellent staff and great food as well as Chandon which is great for BKK standards as the tax on champagne in Thailand is too high. The staff in both lounges are great and the new terminal at MCT is surprisingly ultra-luxe and a breeze to connect through, especially in J. Even so, the price is really too good to pass up. You could even look at upgrading the LHR leg to F which features the new product. I flew it recently and was truly blown away, it really is so much nicer in person than the photos.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
This thread shows just how dire the 3 class 777 is. Surely the direct flight would be the optimal routing if the product resembled something befitting of the year 2018!?
SW7London and HarbourGent like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:37 am
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cameramaker
This thread shows just how dire the 3 class 777 is. Surely the direct flight would be the optimal routing if the product resembled something befitting of the year 2018!?
Optimal routing yes but not optimal times (personally, anyway) as well as product.
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:34 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Ask your wife whether she prefers Paris or Hong Kong. You can stay longer than one night too...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
WY is a great product and the routing does sound better although it’s arguabky harder to rest on two medium length flights than on a long one. So on balance, I’d probably go WY.

That said, out of my many BA F flights, I’ve never been ‘discouraged’ to dine on demand. They don’t really announce it as qr does but whenever I’ve asked to dine at unusual times it’s been delivered both gracefully and efficiently.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If she's a non airline geek I strongly suggest you get your other half to decide which routing and airline she would prefer.

I learnt the hard way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.