Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheeky or perfectly reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I believe the Captain does have some level of discretion and can ask the crew to distribute the BoB. Problem is there is not enough for everyone to get something.

Having been in an aircraft in the last couple of months where the Captain did choose to do this, he announced it would be elderly and children served first, then women, then men.

We were sat on board, off stand, for around 3 hours. The food was distributed after around two hours.

​​​​​BA status was not taken into consideration by our Captain when determining priorities.
I would be making an official complaint for gender discrimination if that ever happened on a flight I was on...
adrianlondon and lorcancoyle like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The delay was the difference between people getting home in time to see children and not.
Some people might see that as a good thing!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I have experienced this several times in the last year, but all handled on the ground before the delayed boarding. At outstation locations, the ground staff (I think airport related) arrived with a trolley of refreshments (basic water bottles, juice boxes, and non-perishable small packets of cake). At Heathrow (QR not BA), for the anticipated delay QR were handing out vouchers to those not eligible for the lounge, and lounge passes for those eligible to go in with a guest if you wanted.

Usually the appearance of food makes me nervous as I suspect the delay is more prolonged then they announce.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by mario
Isn't that a tad sexist? Sounds very Titanic-ish if you ask me...
More than a tad. Utterly ridiculous.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by callum9999
I would be making an official complaint for gender discrimination if that ever happened on a flight I was on...
Whilst in these days of perceived equality it might sound a little discriminatory I wouldn't take offence by it and indeed the more chivalrous among us might defer our choice until all the children and ladies had made their selection of the goodies.
PETER01, eae, babats and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by scottishpoet

​​​​​BA status was not taken into consideration by our Captain when determining priorities.

You need to be careful about using language like that in these parts...
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
More than a tad. Utterly ridiculous.
So what process would you advocate? Start at the front / back / middle? Start with aisle / middle / window seats? Start with BAEC / OW status? Hold an auction / raffle? Have CC throw the stuff around so the strongest will win?

In situations like this there has to be some compromise and if the purists amongst us are offended so be it. I agree with Tobias-UK that chivalry might be the order of the day.
eae and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
and age discrimination. And possibly disability discrimination. This is just wrong on so many levels. I would be embarrassed to be offered food based simply on my gender.
IAN-UK and lorcancoyle like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by babats
So what process would you advocate? Start at the front / back / middle? Start with aisle / middle / window seats? Start with BAEC / OW status? Hold an auction / raffle? Have CC throw the stuff around so the strongest will win?
Ask who was actually hungry? Although after 2 hours the airline should surely be thinking of a return to a position where supplies could be loaded.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by babats
So what process would you advocate?
Any one that you like that isn't from the 19th century.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
At the end of last year was on an SN flight GVA-BRU which got stuck in weather in Liege. We ended up waiting for over 2 hours on the ground and at some stage, the cabin crew came through the cabin dispersing the contents of the BoB trolleys. There was plenty for everyone and it made everyone happy. Cost SN nothing as presumably the contents were going to be binned anyway and bought an awful lot of goodwill.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:59 am

Unfortunately the crew have nothing free to give out, even if they wanted to. There’s no catering uplift downroute, and BA doesn’t own the stock in the BOB trolleys so can only give it out free of charge under certain agreed scenarios with Tourvest. A delay is not one of these.
If you had a lounge, or a light meal voucher in the airport because of the delay then BA met the requirements.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
At the end of last year was on an SN flight GVA-BRU which got stuck in weather in Liege. We ended up waiting for over 2 hours on the ground and at some stage, the cabin crew came through the cabin dispersing the contents of the BoB trolleys. There was plenty for everyone and it made everyone happy. Cost SN nothing as presumably the contents were going to be binned anyway and bought an awful lot of goodwill.
Ah but you miss the subtlety here.

If it in the trolley and goes bad then it is M&S cost. If handed out then BA foots the bill and costs the airline money.

So there is the answer.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by MFCC
Unfortunately the crew have nothing free to give out, even if they wanted to. There’s no catering uplift downroute, and BA doesn’t own the stock in the BOB trolleys so can only give it out free of charge under certain agreed scenarios with Tourvest. A delay is not one of these.
If you had a lounge, or a light meal voucher in the airport because of the delay then BA met the requirements.
Except that duty of care under EU regulations is not optional.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MFCC
so can only give it out free of charge under certain agreed scenarios with Tourvest. A delay is not one of these.
Thanks for the info! ^ Now you intrigue me - could you give us examples of cases where it is agreed that contents can be handed out for free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.