Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First - 747 via BOS to MIA or 777 via JFK to MIA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....

Hi,

Taking my wife to Florida.

Options are:--

First on 747 via BOS to MIA
First on 777 via JFK to MIA

both on BA before the connection to AA for the flight south.

Any preferences from the experts here?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:29 am

Personally, I would go via JFK, since you will get the AA Flagship lounge (and likely flagship lounge dining ) at Terminal 8. And of course a slightly shorter flight to MIA, which also may give you more opportunity for a lie-flat seat on the domestic flight, versus BOS, but this would probably be more luck than by design.

BOS - the only benefit will be if you absolutely want to be on a 747, but for me this is the poorest BA F option.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Personally, I would go via JFK, since you will get the AA Flagship lounge (and likely flagship lounge dining ) at Terminal 8. And of course a slightly shorter flight to MIA, which also may give you more opportunity for a lie-flat seat on the domestic flight, versus BOS, but this would probably be more luck than by design.

BOS - the only benefit will be if you absolutely want to be on a 747, but for me this is the poorest BA F option.
Thanks - didn't take into account the lounge!

Tried to book online, but the return layover is 1 hr 56 minutes!

So multi-city will not work, and putting in MIA to LHR doesn't pick up that combination of flights - argh!

Do not really want to book via AA.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
also - again largely luck and variable, but JFK tend get more senior cabin crew which can make for one of the better BA F experiences
GentleGiant likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GentleGiant

So multi-city will not work, and putting in MIA to LHR doesn't pick up that combination of flights - argh!
Is ba.com offering you different inbound routes depending on which outbound route you select? Is it not just a case of picking the outbound route you want from those offered (ie LHR-JFK-MIA), and then picking an appropriate inbound route?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Thanks - didn't take into account the lounge!

Do not really want to book via AA.
Too much or too little time on the layover, in your view?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
(and likely flagship lounge dining )
Flagship First Dining is only for those passengers who are flying on AA. However, I'd second your preference to fly via JFK - JFK-MIA flights often have lie-flat seats (B767 and B757), while BOS is served either by B738 or A320 with regular domestic first class.

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 13, 2018 at 8:32 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is ba.com offering you different inbound routes depending on which outbound route you select? Is it not just a case of picking the outbound route you want from those offered (ie LHR-JFK-MIA), and then picking an appropriate inbound route?
I can select the outbound fine if I do mult-city

Return I can only put mia to LHR

and the 16:15 flight out of MIA to ORD then to LHR is not shown on the multicity

Unless I am missing something?

Showing up fine on ITA and I can get AA to show it in Euros, but would prefer a BA if possible.
MARTINSWIN likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Flagship First Dining is only for those passengers who are flying on AA. However, I'd second your preference to fly via JFK.
Notice my wink smiley - strictly by the rules you are perfectly correct, however in reality, the AAngels often overlook this point
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Too much or too little time on the layover, in your view?
Not worried about the layover length, but multcity is asking for 2 hours, so the route is not possible.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Return I can only put mia to LHR

and the 16:15 flight out of MIA to ORD then to LHR is not shown on the multicity

Unless I am missing something?
So MIA-ORD-LHR is what you want, but it doesn't show up however you are searching on ba.com?

In that case, it'll be a phone call. If you have the ITA itinerary in front of you, it's dead straightforward to book these. Some call centre agents are well used to having people reading out itineraries straight from an ITA printout.
GentleGiant likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks.

However, I suspect it will be higher anyway.

Just managed to price on BA with a 6 hour layover at ORD and the price on BA is £600 dearer per person than booking via AA for the same flights.

Was hoping for a BA ticket, but guess it doesn't matter despite flying on BA both ways across the Atlantic.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:36 am

If you mean AA 2303 then you won't be able to purchase it on ba.com because does not market this flight under its code and does not sell it. You need to book it over the phone (the domestic flight will be under the AA flight number).

Was hoping for a BA ticket, but guess it doesn't matter despite flying on BA both ways across the Atlantic.
If you book it with BA over the phone it'll be a BA ticket but not all flights will be under BA code.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:39 am

BA codeshare with AA on all JFK-MIA flights, so I would look into those as well (as mentioned earlier - much better seats).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just managed to price on BA with a 6 hour layover at ORD and the price on BA is £600 dearer per person than booking via AA for the same flights.

If you would be happy to post the itinerary you're thinking of, I'm sure that we could help to try to debug this and work out what might be pushing the price up on some options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.