Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A rather nice surprise (unexpected status renewal)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rather nice surprise (unexpected status renewal)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Thumbs up A rather nice surprise (unexpected status renewal)

I'm sure I've seen this talked about before around these parts, but couldn't find the appropriate thread (I'm sure they teach better search skills in Alaska).

I've been on the other side of the world on sabbatical for most of the past year, and as a result finished my membership year with barely 400TPs - clearly well below the threshold to keep Silver (and only a handful of BA flights too).

Imagine my surprise when I checked the infamous "Items" section of the BAEC website to see whether they'd dispatched my Bronze pack yet, only to see the magic words "Renewal Pack for Exec Silver Fulfilled", and the validity of my electronic BAEC card already extended by a year.

I'm hardly a high-value customer (leisure traveller, oscillating between Silver and Gold for the past 6 years). I didn't get caught up in last year's IT shenanigans. I haven't been affected by the stolen card screw-up. I haven't had any interactions with CS (other than an automatic 8k "service recovery" Avios from a flight without IFE).

Has anyone else been at the receiving end of an unexpected renewal lately, or should I count my lucky stars? :-:
orbitmic and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Recently, I have seen comments by BA people which suggest that there may indeed be something more formal than I thought about allowing people to keep a status they haven't quite regained under certain circumstances, but I have not seen the actual details, just a reference to the fact hat such a consideration exists.

Congratulations in any case!! That's great news! ^
argonath and csutter like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:37 am

I had this a couple of years ago, was unexpected and they didn't tell me it had happened (which i assumed they would have it was in recognition of loyalty etc). I obviously didn't ask for an explanation.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Did the qualification for bronze not used to be 4 flights? Mine currently says 2 and I haven’t flown on BA for the best part of 2 years.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:06 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I got a Gold renewal a few years back on minimal TPs (something like 20 or 40 TPs!). I had been Gold for >10 years continuously renewing well above the threshold (the real earning threshold too, not the old Euro-cheat route ), so I'm guessing that had something to do with it. I didn't ask for anything, it just happened. But in their eyes it probably worked, since my business travel resumed and I went on to earn GGL/CCR for a few years after that! Due to hit GFL next month.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Did the qualification for bronze not used to be 4 flights?
No, I think Bronze has been two qualifying flights ever since it was introduced.

See here from November 2011: Executive Club changes - outstanding questions from 16 Nov
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:56 am

This happened to me on Northwest Airlines. (Yes, I know this ages me... ). For a few years in a row I had either Silver or Gold status. Then my traveling slowed down considerably. The first year in which I didn't fly enough to qualify, they gave me Silver anyway, much like you experienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.