Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do&Co win massive catering deal (from 2020) for BA in LHR and IB & I2 in MAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do&Co win massive catering deal (from 2020) for BA in LHR and IB & I2 in MAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Now as good as this is and it really is very good news Do&Co are reliant on the BA budget and believe me BA not only squeeze the lemon they squeeze the pips.
We, band 2 people, believe you without any difficulty!
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Worcester
That is a good point, have BA actually said anything about the budget.

Do&Co do all the catering for TK which is normally very good.
Perhaps Do&Co are rolling out a new brand. Do&Co LoCo? Especially for BA. Somehow I can't see CE catering competing with TK on similar length sectors.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Glass half full perspective perhaps. We rarely hear complaints about BACF's LCY and STN catering, if anything they cram too much food on to their trays.
I shall withdraw the comment, as we’ve just enjoyed what seems to be the new catering on Band 4 MLA-LGW (Op by Titan). Will report with pictures on the other thread once I’ve downloaded images from my camera tommorow.

Originally Posted by rapidex
I always thought the JER breakfast was good, albeit a little rushed.
Agreed on the catering, apologies for being too close to UK
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Well, last time there was a threat to jobs at GateGourmet there was a massive strike, and we were in the land of chillers full of brown-bag meals and shortbread. Wonder how this will pan out?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by mjh0
Well, last time there was a threat to jobs at GateGourmet there was a massive strike, and we were in the land of chillers full of brown-bag meals and shortbread. Wonder how this will pan out?
The way it should in market economy...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Why would the workers go on strike when it is likely that many of them will be transferred over to Do&Co under TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings and Protection of Employment regulations) retaining their existing terms and conditions?

Even if they don't get TUPEd Do&Co will need to recruit so GG workers could apply for jobs with Do&Co. And it's not like GG is closing down, It does service other airlines.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Why would the workers go on strike when it is likely that many of them will be transferred over to Do&Co under TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings and Protection of Employment regulations) retaining their existing terms and conditions?

Even if they don't get TUPEd Do&Co will need to recruit so GG workers could apply for jobs with Do&Co. And it's not like GG is closing down, It does service other airlines.
For memory refreshment, it may be worth reading this: https://www.ft.com/content/1eaf015a-...3-00000e2511c8 - it wasn't a straightforward situation. (It looks like that page is not behind the paywall.) Another account is here: https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/publ...t-gate-gourmet

I think we all hope that there won't be any kind of repeat.
PITBULL1K and mjh0 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Why would there be a repeat? This is a totally different situation to that one over 10 years ago,
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:00 am

Do&Co's LHR kitchen will be familiar to many here, it's over the road from the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross. Currently it provides the shorthaul catering and the JFK service. I'm guessing the addition of all of longhaul and Iberia will add so much extra workload that it will need to add to the company's premises.

Newrest - who have a chequered history in terms of management buy-outs, already supply BACF / LCY from their Barking kitchen. They don't have a production facility in the LGW area so I presume they too are going to create one near there - I'm not sure it's a great idea to send trucks from their LHR facility at Poyle (near T5) around the M25 every day.

The big losers here are Alpha catering, who currently do LGW's short and longhaul (and on shorthaul it wasn't as good as LHR frankly). Their owner is dnata. And Gate Gourmet, who do longhaul LHR apart from JFK.
Gate Gourmet also does the catering for all IB/I2 flights, so big loss for them in the Spanish market.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:31 am

Glass half full perspective perhaps. We rarely hear complaints about BACF's LCY and STN catering, if anything they cram too much food on to their trays.
To be fair to uncle T, currently, as far as I'm aware, nothing much to get excited about for LGW flights. Do all LGW flights have the new bedding now?

Luckily we , leisure travellers, do get a really nice cosy lounge.

Uncle T , enjoy the bubbles and relaxed atmosphere there!

T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but according to Business Traveller, there is going to be a phased handover to Do&Co between October and 2020 -

BA currently uses Gate Gourmet for all other catering on flights departing Heathrow, but from October the carrier will begin a phased switch over to new Do&Co menus, with all outbound services in all classes expected to be covered by early 2020.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...b52d-162913437
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As most of our l/h travel is ex-LGW (with our buckets and spades!) I shall be very interested to see how Newrest turn out ... a very different environment from CityFlyer, I assume.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:50 pm

I was pleasantly surprised on my EDI-LHR today to see a dessert that said Do & Co. – The new catering did not disappoint... (AE: was most enjoyable)
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Now that's a slight exaggeration Dear - I recall that there was something in a box with a split of wine. That was back in the T4 days - 2005 as I recall. The biggest problem was actually finding any left as people just helped themselves in the Lounge whether their flights had been catered or not (it was only Short Haul without catering in the end - months later,

Sorry that I missed this at the time but Gate Gourmet will not be missed. Frankly GG should have been fired long ago. Alpha kept working so LGW services never suffered.I may be suffering from memory distortion so please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:59 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I like the new offering a lot. The coronoation chicken salad I had on the way back from TXL was very tasty, and well presented. Though I do wonder what would happen if there was someone with a nut allergy. A once promising athlete some years ago died as a result of eating a coronation chicken sandwich in Bath. It shoudl of course have almonds, but can have traces of peanuts. It was delicious and there is now 50% more chicken than the old caterers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.