Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more welcomes from the CSD on long haul flights for gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more welcomes from the CSD on long haul flights for gold?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PETER01
Ha! Much ado about nothing re the BA welcomes in my humble view.

@:-) May I suggest that a reverse policy to be undertaken by Flyertalkers. Anyone who really wants one is to state it when you enter the door as you board the plane. BYO welcome or maybe they can sell us one, £3 or 300 Avios pp, that'd make some money.

" Well HELLLLLOOO there, may I introduce myself, I am [insert your name] and I am a [Gold card/GGL/Premier] card holder. I'm very much looking forward to today's flight and I know I am valued as a high Executive Tier member so any extra Champers I am in 25D, thanks"

This would certainly have some entertainment value!!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by orbitmic
This would certainly have some entertainment value!!
Indeed it would! My next flight is Tuesday so I will try it. Immediately on boarding I will put my hand out to shake the CSD's hand then blurt it out so it'll be interesting to seek their reaction, unless someone on here wants to try it first. Please report back if you beat me to it whoever you may be!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Indeed it would! My next flight is Tuesday so I will try it. Immediately on boarding I will put my hand out to shake the CSD's hand then blurt it out so it'll be interesting to seek their reaction, unless someone on here wants to try it first. Please report back if you beat me to it whoever you may be!
Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned the day - in my mind I was preparing for Wednesday!

I wonder if I'll get a greeting?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'd surely notice if a cat was on my doorstep as I loathe the ghastly animals!!
WHAT? This I can neither forgive nor forget. We have our differences when it comes to in-flight catering, CW seat and what not, and that's OK, but cats?
orbitmic and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
WHAT? This I can neither forgive nor forget. We have our differences when it comes to in-flight catering, CW seat and what not, and that's OK, but cats?
Stop being a pussy!

... and I've reported @orbitmic to @LTN Phobia - he should expect a long ban
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
As a weekly commuter on shorthaul, I don't mind whether I get greeted for the sake of being greeted and it would just get very same-y.

The most useful times are when the CSM has been to see me before the trolley appears, so I know whether I can get a free cup of tea or have to pay for one. There's nothing worse than an effusive "is there anything you need?", when looking at a table full of BoB purchases already made!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

My next flight is Tuesday
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned the day - in my mind I was preparing for Wednesday!

I wonder if I'll get a greeting?
It's definitely Tuesday (oh old one! )
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Stop being a pussy!

... and I've reported @orbitmic to @LTN Phobia - he should expect a long ban
I've already offered LTN Phobia my longlife cat allowance so I think we are ok now! The one time I went to meet her, I actually met kangaroos on the way, which on the other hand are the types of animals that get my complete and unmitigated approval!!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

If you want unconditional love you best get a dog rather than a cat (or CSD), in my experience.!
Even better....a talking parrot.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Globaliser
What is most entertaining is the people who profess not to care, but proactively post that they got no welcome.

I neither own nor live with a cat. If there's no cat sitting on my doorstep when I arrive home, I wouldn't notice - let alone tell anyone else that there was no cat on my doorstep. I could only be moved to say something about the absence of a cat if I was expecting the possibility of a cat being there and then positively noticed that there wasn't one.

Thus too it is with Gold greetings. If you genuinely didn't care, you'd never notice that there wasn't one.
I thought I made it clear in the rest of my post why the introduction to the CSD is a valuable tool.

But just you batter on with your cat analogies and pop psychology!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Txubito
I thought I made it clear in the rest of my post why the introduction to the CSD is a valuable tool.
If I've got a problem that's sufficiently serious that it needs to be raised with the CSD/CSM (or indeed if I have something positive that I want to tell them), I've never had any difficulty in finding them to do so.

So have I struck a nerve?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The best greetings are when the CSM/D just gives a quick "I won't bother you Mr W but if there's any thing at all you need just give me a shout" as I'm boarding.

Those 'pomp and ceremony' greetings when I'm in my seat and have nowhere to escape to make my toes curl.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I don't know what the obsession about greetings are - I appreciate them when they are sincere. If it is just read out of a script for the sake of it, then do not bother - it is awkward.
The other day in CX J, my partner and I switched seats in a pair of two by the window. She is BA silver, I am gold, and we have different last names - when the senior pursor came around to greet, she was fully equipped with a paper sheet from which she seemed to read - only, she got everything messed up and called me Mr. [my partner's name] and my partner Ms [my name].... It is all a very sweet thought, but in that case please do not bother at all.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
One of the benefits of dropping to Silver is you no longer have to endure the cringeworthy CSD welcome. Hated the practice on the odd occasion I ever got one.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
I got a greeting on my CW flight to LAS last week and on last nights WT+ flight back from LAS to LHR. She also asked at the end of the flight as they were securing the curtains for landing how my flight was.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.