Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 56 10th Sept Delay Options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
BA 56 10th Sept Delay Options

i would be greatful for some insight / advice.

Flying in First on the 10th Sept

Checked bags

BA 6412 CPT/jnb 1325/1525
BA 56 jnb/Lhr 1920/0530 on 11th sept
BA430 Lhr/ams 0820/1040

separate booking : in club
BA435 11th sept 1455 ams/lhr

ba 56 showing as delayed over 5 hours now departing at 0003 11 sept

can anyone advise re the reason for delay and if eu comp is likely to be due or not .

the South African office is shut on sundays and I don’t really want to spend a fortune calling ba in the U.K. from my mobile .

there are 2 seats in f on the later 2120 flight which would give us 1 hour to change in London or should we just wait at this stage and hope they will change the Lhr to ams sector on the separate booking
many thanks all from a sunny if chilly Cape Town
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Doesn't seem to be any reason codes yet on EF:

DOBA56/10SEP
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 56 1 MO 10SEP18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

JNB ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 0003
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1013 LHR
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 56 1 MO 10SEP18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
JNB 1920 MO FAJCDRIWETY/M 388 11:10
BHKMLVSNQOG/M
LHR 0530 TU 11:10
COMMENTS-
1.JNB LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.JNB LHR - DEPARTS TERMINAL A
3.JNB LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5
BHKMLVSNQOG/M
4.JNB LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.JNB LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.JNB LHR - FROM 31MAY15 NEW IMMIG REQUIREMENTS FOR CHILDREN
7.JNB LHR - TRAVELLING TO AND FROM SOUTH AFRICA SEE BA.COM
8.JNB LHR - CO2/PAX* 512.20 KG ECO, 1,024.41 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
388 F 14 J 97 W 55 M 303
>

I suspect you know the answer to your dilemma about your return from AMS. If your bags are already checked, you could be looking at buying a new single journey back from AMS, unless some BA person on your route is feeling generous. It might be worth talking to a Customer Service Manager at LHR. They seem to have the authority to sort things if gently and reasonably explained to them.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The outbound is also delayed overnight, so the LHR-JNB service is leaving at 10 am on Monday morning rather than 7pm Sunday evening. Unless we hear sooner, I'll check the dispatch information when it is updated after departure. I've no doubt you will be given a clear explanation from the captain when you board - make sure you hear it and if necessary write down exactly what he says. It's the A380 so it is going to be either crew or aircraft shortage, probably the latter, and that would normally lead to EC261 eligibility.

I would install Skype on your mobile telephone, use wifi and then call YouFirst in Manchester to see what options, if any, you have. You probably can persuade them to move AMS-LHR for example.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Thank You for looking

Does it say anything about the inbound at all ?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Does it say anything about the inbound at all ?
No, the dispatch information is only updated by the dispatcher and that hasn't happened yet for obvious reasons. I'm trying to find a late running A380, haven't found it yet, but thebasource will doubtless report on it later today or tomorrow.

If you are BT customer (and you have your details with you in RSA) then they also have a mobile phone app which allows you to make calls against your UK based calling plan.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The outbound is also delayed overnight, so the LHR-JNB service is leaving at 10 am on Monday morning rather than 7pm Sunday evening. Unless we hear sooner, I'll check the dispatch information when it is updated after departure. I've no doubt you will be given a clear explanation from the captain when you board - make sure you hear it and if necessary write down exactly what he says. It's the A380 so it is going to be either crew or aircraft shortage, probably the latter, and that would normally lead to EC261 eligibility.

I would install Skype on your mobile telephone, use wifi and then call YouFirst in Manchester to see what options, if any, you have. You probably can persuade them to move AMS-LHR for example.
I'm scheduled on that ba55 lhr-jnb today and it's delayed 14.5hrs. We got 4 in F and need to figure out other options . Just got to T5 now. Only a email notification for this ggl
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
I'm scheduled on that ba55 lhr-jnb today and it's delayed 14.5hrs. We got 4 in F and need to figure out other options . Just got to T5 now. Only a email notification for this ggl
You should also get a text message at least, but hopefully in T5 you will be able to find out the underlying cause. My money is on BA having an A380 in the sickbay.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

As ever thank you all

i have installed Skype and ring ba first

they are holding 2 seats for us on the later ba54 2120/0720

this gives us exactly an hour connection time at Heathrow which is the minimum requirement

should we go for it ?

i dont think we would get comp anyway as we would be just short of the 4 hours if they get us on to the 1145/1405 Lhr ams
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
this gives us exactly an hour connection time at Heathrow which is the minimum requirement

should we go for it ?

i dont think we would get comp anyway as we would be just short of the 4 hours if they get us on to the 1145/1405 Lhr ams
Yes, I think you should try for it, one hour is OK for a T5 transfer, however, one thing to check as you board the AMS service is whether your baggage has made it too, it should do since that is a do-able connection. The other thing to check is not to dash immediately to T5A, there is an outside chance that the AMS service will leave from T5B or T5C (very unlikely) so read up in the Dashboard on the Flight Connection service in T5B/C, there may be someone at the gate to assist you with this. Third thing to bear in mind: if you do arrive late and decide not to continue on to AMS, have up your sleeve for BA a date for when you can complete the trip - perhaps hinging on your next booking from AMS...... Getting it done at T5 is easier than anywhere else.

Well done on getting the original service.
simonsmith likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 9, 2018 at 8:34 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:12 am

G-XLED apparently has an over-running engine change hence the delay. JNB has n/s and the 213 to BOS tomorrow has a type change to a 74.
The later 057 (86J 744) is now pretty full as a result, so anyone due out tonight might struggle.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Tx all have swapped on to the 2120
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should also get a text message at least, but hopefully in T5 you will be able to find out the underlying cause. My money is on BA having an A380 in the sickbay.
They didn't give me an exact reason why but I was able to force a invol reroute on LH. 2 in F (one might say that's an upgrade over BA F) and 2 in J. I'll need to email the ggl team later to find out the downgrade compensation for 2 but at least (assuming we all make the connection in fra) we will still make the flight to wdh and not ruin the trip. Of course we all thought of the EU comp, but given we are on a such a tight schedule, and getting any vacation time for the others in the party was already difficult enough, this was probably the best solution.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

That’s good news , safe flight. LH F is excellent . Enjoy Namibia
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by jason8612
I'll need to email the ggl team later to find out the downgrade compensation for 2...
I'm sorry, but that is very optimistic. You weren't downgraded. You asked to be rerouted albeit 2 pax in J, this is not downgrade and doesn't lead to any EU Reg. 261/04 comp. If F was this important to you, you should have kept the original reservations for all pax in F on BA55 (and then claim comp. for delay afterwards).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.