Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:08 pm

Although I think £500 should be a good deal, I am wondering why BA refuse to give two redemption chance?

Stand from BA side, I would rather do the later one instead of giving £500.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PeterDoe
I am wondering why BA refuse to give two redemption chance?

Which may be why you are not running an airline
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by PeterDoe
Although I think £500 should be a good deal, I am wondering why BA refuse to give two redemption chance?

Busy route, premium heavy, F seats go for thousands.

Why would BA give two additional seats away for redemptions?
PUCCI GALORE and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I suspect the BA staff cost of dealing with this has already well exceeded the real cost of 2 First class tickets.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:22 am

A gash to a finger in a PI claim is unlikely to equate to the equivalent of 2 x F seats or open up the possibility of the airline subverting the Avois rules by opening up such reward flights as a result of this specific incident. In the real world BA has been an offer, the injuried party can accept or decline and then pursue a PI claim, if they believe the offer is derisory? The injured party now needs to decide how he wishes to proceed but garnering views on a gash to a finger travelling in F on Flyertalk is unlikely to assist to resolve this matter.

“Heart of glass” I’m sorry. I truly don’t believe so but perhaps a PI claim will lead to a settlement award of more than £500 then BA can be truly shamed. Good luck whatever you decide to do next.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:35 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyuk
I suspect the BA staff cost of dealing with this has already well exceeded the real cost of 2 First class tickets.
Not on BA’s pay scales!

Obviously we don’t know what stage the writer has reached with BA in terms of negotiations, but this is one of the reasons why Customer Relations will - after two or maybe three exchanges - declare a final offer and no longer engage with the customer, leaving either acceptance or going legal as the only routes forward.

It limits the time spent by BA and puts the onus back on the complainer - pretty much a “put up or shut up” sort of response.

Clearly it’s not the case here, but every company has to deal with serial complainers who want to try it on every time. They have to have a method of restricting their activity. BA’s way is to ignore them and hope they go away. Other companies deal with it differently. I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong way - the solution has to fit the circumstances, and I bet airlines generally receive more spurious complaints than most.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Even in the UK, compensation for such a personal injury is likely to be more than £500. It certainly would be in the US, Australia or Canada. Cuts are very serious things, even when they seem minor. A minor cut can cost a life or limb

Last edited by N1120A; Sep 2, 2018 at 4:07 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Fascinating. All of it. However the OP asked a question. Are we answering it or discussing what is reasonable compensation for what was clearly an accident and, thankfully, a minor one at that.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:55 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Fascinating. All of it. However the OP asked a question. Are we answering it or discussing what is reasonable compensation for what was clearly an accident and, thankfully, a minor one at that.
A few of us answered the question within the first few posts yesterday...yet we're still here!

M
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I think the compensation request is more than reasonable. I'd be livid if this had happened to me, and I'd laugh at a terrible offer like £500. Even 2 F tickets wouldn't probably do it for me .
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
A few of us answered the question within the first few posts yesterday...yet we're still here!

M
I know - my Nieces and Nephews, in spite of the ££££ squandered on their education would say "sad".
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simons1
Busy route, premium heavy, F seats go for thousands.

Why would BA give two additional seats away for redemptions?
It does it for those with Gold Guest List , so not without precedent
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:47 am

Now that we have all opined, I am left wondering whether Mr Lawson's love for BA seemed like the real thing, only to find mucho mistrust, love's gone behind (the gap down the side of the seat).
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
I think the compensation request is more than reasonable. I'd be livid if this had happened to me, and I'd laugh at a terrible offer like £500. Even 2 F tickets wouldn't probably do it for me .
I would rather hope, that is any passenger receives anything more than a paper cut on one of BA's planes then the would insist on medical treatment after the plane has landed.

As he wasnt sent or ordered to get a medical check up I expect £500 was more than needed for everyone to cope with the stress of such seriousness.

On a separate note, one of the Swire family died last week. His obituary mentioned the changes the UK has gone through over the past 50 years to traumatic events.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Even in the UK, compensation for such a personal injury is likely to be more than £500. It certainly would be in the US, Australia or Canada. Cuts are very serious things, even when they seem minor. A minor cut can cost a life or limb
I am aware a cut is in our mind minor a family member lost a foot as a result of a slight cut. I am not sure this cut was as serious as the letter makes out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.