Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation

Old Sep 1, 18, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Do you think the passenger’s request is reasonable?

Old Sep 1, 18, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
No. No. I had to write it twice because of the five character minimum.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No. I think that the person deserves some compensation as he was hurt and it is unforgivable to have overlooked glass trapped in the seat as part of the cleaning routine in any seat in any class, but two first class tickets are neither here nor there.
Markie and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 12:26 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
I’d say it’s a classic example of someone believing they are rather more important to the airline than reality.

16,000 lifetime TPs, whilst not insignificant, does not indicate loyalty. There are some on this forum who would take less than a year to accumulate that number, yet ironically they are likely to know that the request being made is unrealistic and I suspect wouldn’t even consider taking that line themselves.

Two free seats in F from NYC is not something that can be provided at zero cost, as we all know. Presumably the writer is hoping to be fed and watered whilst he’s on board? On a route such as that, F will very often be full, so he is asking BA to turn down revenue from two F seats to accommodate him. Plus, why two seats given only he was affected by the incident? Why New York when the original trip was Dubai? It smacks of opportunism at best.

The offer he has been given, of £500 (which BA would most likely happily translate to 50k Avios), would buy those F seats on a UuA from CW. He’s being throughly disingenuous in not indicating that.

Playing your case out through the media should be the last resort if a company absolutely refuses to engage with you, or does so but clearly does not act in good faith. That is not what is happening here. I hope BA holds its ground on this one.
Old Sep 1, 18, 12:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
What do you think @ringingup?

To summarise, when getting through all the hyperbole, they cut their finger on a piece of glass supposedly left in the gap between the seat. They have been offered compensation but have declined as effectively they want BA to open up two avios seats from JFK. I assume they are wanting to actually redeem these so just want the availability. Effectively they want something that BA only offers to those who are top tier status which they clearly are not.

Comments relating to number of TPs just detracts from the issue.
ibbitsc and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 12:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
To answer the question in the letter - Yes, it would cost BA something (as NWIFlyer has said).

As such, it would not be a free gesture of goodwill.

To take things to the extreme, a revenue flight back from NYC in F, is for sale at $9,457 in the middle of September. The writer wants two seats, so BA could justifiably state that his 'gesture of goodwill' would cost them just shy of $19,000. Quite a jump from the £500 the writer has said no to.

What BA should do, in my opinion, is offer the writer a GUF2. That way, they'll have the option to upgrade on the way back from NYC, availability permitting.

M
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Sep 1, 18 at 12:41 am
Old Sep 1, 18, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I find it pretty unreasonable. £500 (or 50k Avios seem more than enough for me).
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
He didn’t make a fuss at the time but he’s trying to make one now!

It’s always a couple of first class tickets to new york isn’t it?

the avios part is irrelevant though the writer obviously thinks avios are somehow free.

He is still after several thousands of poiunde of services

Anyway what are his fingers doing down the gap?

Brighterside and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:22 am

Unrealistic demand by the traveller, and at 16,000 TPs an unrealistic estimation of their importance to BA.

Take the £500 and move on. Even that I would say is generous.
mikeyfly and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I nearly laughed out loud reading his rather inflated-sense-of-self-worth claim that he's so important to BA because he has 16,000 lifetime TP. Some members here do more than that in a year! (Not me, it took me two years to get that, but never considered myself particularly important to BA, I consider myself a fairly regular punter but nothing really beyond that.)

But what was more bizarre was that the letter writer thought a cut to one's finger, which presumably did not have a lasting effect or he'd have mentioned it, deserved two first class seats to be released when there was no availability. I cannot work out whether he was also demanding them to be provided to him free of charge, or just for seats to be released, but either way, given the potential loss of revenue on such a route, it could cost BA somewhere in the region of £10,000.

Anyone thinking that one deserves that level of compensation for a non-lasting injury is either not thinking about the loss of revenue aspect, or if he does understand that, then he considers his worth to be more than it really is.

Along that logic, I'd say a lot of us would have deserved a lifetime of free hotel rooms or lifetime of free use of an airport after various injuries suffered at airports.

I think £300 would be quite adequate. In fact, I'd flick it back and ask them to use it towards the budget to clean the plane better!

Having said all that, if BA cleaned planes better, they would have been able to avoid all this hassle by not having a shard of glass there to injure him with.
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
It must just be me but I read this as he's asking them to release the two seats so he can book with Avios himself rather than him wanting two seats free of charge?
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
+1 for taking the £500 and moving on.

They seem to think two F class tickets doesn't cost the airline anything.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'm going to break ranks here and point out this is a serious failure by British Airways, and 30K Avios is derisory. Think of yourself writing a letter of explanation: "During the cleaning process between flights, a contract employee failed to notice the presence of broken glass in the seat.". There's no way you can spin this that doesn't make it negligent, either in the cleaning process or the supervision, and the result is an injury to a passenger that drew blood which is fairly serious. Presumably if there was glass there was an incident which broke glass, and there should have been special care taken on the turnaround. Beyond that, there should have been an accident report and some sort of corrective action with the passenger kept informed throughout, rather than a three month administrative silence. "Our first priority is safety" doesn't stop at emergency procedures and evacuations, it does also mean protecting passengers from preventable accidents in the cabin.

I think the request is pretty reasonable to be honest, as the alternative could be litigation and reputational damage. A quick and generous gesture can stop a lot of the sort of bad will that persuades people it's worth legal action so they can "win" against an unresponsive company, and that gives time to work on finding the root cause of the safety issue and addressing it. Not all F seats are full, and the cost to BA of giving a couple is low, but that's not really the point.
Dave_C, NoY, mrow and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:06 am

BA is being very mean and ungracious with their offers. The fact that BA does not bother with cleaning their cabins is well documented on FT. You get on an aeroplane and your hand is slashed badly enough to pour blood. And they offer just 30,000 Avios! I remember getting 20,000 for a TV screen that was not working properly.

Stop defending the indefensible just because it’s BA.

(By the way, 16,000 lifetime tier point is not insignificant.)
NoY and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
BA is being very mean and ungracious with their offers. The fact that BA does not bother with cleaning their cabins is well documented on FT. You get on an aeroplane and your hand is slashed badly enough to pour blood. And they offer just 30,000 Avios! I remember getting 20,000 for a TV screen that was not working properly.

Stop defending the indefensible just because it’s BA.

(By the way, 16,000 lifetime tier point is not insignificant.)

who is defending the indefensible?

does he deserve something - yes he does but does he warrant 2 free F seats? and most reasonable people would say no.

Most people would think £300 let alone £500 to be more than adequate recompense for a minor injury.

People who make over edged claims for minor issues make it worse for people with real and substantive issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: