Search

Fare rule question (open segments)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH,ITA,BA Silver,AY Gold
Fare rule question (open segments)

Hello,

I put this in the AA forum first but did not get a response. On reflection the answer may be known here more easily since it deals with a fare starting here in Europe. Below is the section of the AA fare rule in question:

From Matrix, here is the ticketing section from an AA fare, American (AA) DNN0C8S2 OSL to SAN
Category 5: Advanced reservation/ticketing restrictions
RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FIRST SECTOR. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 28 DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER. OR - RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FIRST SECTOR. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.I would like to read that as a ticket with open segments after the first can be ticketed as long as the routing does not change and future reservations are made within the rules and that there is space in the fare class. Am I correct or crazy

A similar fare on BA states reservations are required for all segments, so the information will be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by miandrew
Hello,

I put this in the AA forum first but did not get a response. On reflection the answer may be known here more easily since it deals with a fare starting here in Europe. Below is the section of the AA fare rule in question:

From Matrix, here is the ticketing section from an AA fare, American (AA) DNN0C8S2 OSL to SAN
RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FIRST SECTOR. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 28 DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER. OR - RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FIRST SECTOR. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.I would like to read that as a ticket with open segments after the first can be ticketed as long as the routing does not change and future reservations are made within the rules and that there is space in the fare class. Am I correct or crazy

A similar fare on BA states reservations are required for all segments, so the information will be greatly appreciated!
I would like to start by saying I am not an expert, but:

'I would like to read that as a ticket with open segments after the first can be ticketed as long as the routing does not change' - Yes i believe it can be ticketed as such. But If you only have first segment reserved what routing change are you talking about? There would be an opened routing due to MPM and if you have no reservation you don't have a specific routing.

Change fee is Euro 250 before and after departure, so even if you manage to ticket OSL - SAN with only OSL-LHR reserved and rest opened, you will need to pay Euro 250 to reserve the additional segments - at least this is my understanding. @Calchas might be able to help further
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miandrew
Hello,

You are essentially correct — in theory.

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I would like to start by saying I am not an expert, but:

'I would like to read that as a ticket with open segments after the first can be ticketed as long as the routing does not change' - Yes i believe it can be ticketed as such. But If you only have first segment reserved what routing change are you talking about? There would be an opened routing due to MPM and if you have no reservation you don't have a specific routing.

Change fee is Euro 250 before and after departure, so even if you manage to ticket OSL - SAN with only OSL-LHR reserved and rest opened, you will need to pay Euro 250 to reserve the additional segments - at least this is my understanding. @Calchas might be able to help further
The ticket will still need to contain the cities travelled through along the route. But the route will be open dated, and no reservations will be made on any flights except the first at the time of ticketing.

A change to the ticketed points (the cities on the ticket) will require a ticket reissue and whatever change fee applies.

Making or unmaking flight reservations along the routes will not require a change to the ticket (unless the new flights fall outside of the Not Valid Before/Not Valid After dates indicated on the ticket for each segment—but this will probably be valid for one year).

In reality, it is hard to find anyone who will be willing to ticket this without reservations, and since many countries apply airport fees/taxes depending on whether it is a stopover or not, it may still require a ticket reissue and collection of additional taxes at the time reservations are made.

BA is probably just admitting the practical truth when they state reservations are required before departure.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 31, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH,ITA,BA Silver,AY Gold
Thanks so much, it helps alot!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Calchas
You are essentially correct — in theory.

The ticket will still need to contain the cities travelled through along the route. But the route will be open dated, and no reservations will be made on any flights except the first at the time of ticketing.

A change to the ticketed points (the cities on the ticket) will require a ticket reissue and whatever change fee applies.

Making or unmaking flight reservations along the routes will not require a change to the ticket (unless the new flights fall outside of the Not Valid Before/Not Valid After dates indicated on the ticket for each segment—but this will probably be valid for one year).

In reality, it is hard to find anyone who will be willing to ticket this without reservations, and since many countries apply airport fees/taxes depending on whether it is a stopover or not, it may still require a ticket reissue and collection of additional taxes at the time reservations are made.

BA is probably just admitting the practical truth when they state reservations are required before departure.
I knew you would have the insider edge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.