Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tehran suspension [effective 23rd September 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tehran suspension [effective 23rd September 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Non-stamping of passports may be to ease travel elsewhere in the world as well as the USA. Similarly to how Isreal doesn't stamp passports so that people who may go elsewhere in the region are not discouraged from visiting Israel, the Iranians might also wish to encourage visits from people who have no opinion in the local political squabbles but don't want to be held up or rejected from other countries nearby. The Americans are particularly keen on controlling people's actions at a distance but other countries are more pragmatic and simply look for recent evidence, like a passport stamp, instead of requiring some declaration of a decade of unswerving fealty to the West.

Given how badly their oil revenues are going to go in the near future, I imagine the Iranians would like to seek alternate source of revenue like tourism to diversify their economy. Compare Oman, except Oman has more peaceable international relations.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:59 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Wonder if BA will partner with QR to offer through tickets via DOH. Echo the disappointment, on my bucket list.

What aircraft did BA use on the route? Could this also be spurred by 744 retirements and the 787 issues - I.e. made the decision easier?
The 3 times I took it was a 777, and I remember being the only one in cw two of those times, and Y was about 1/3 to 2/3 full. The F section was blocked off entirely.

it's very sad as it was planning to use it as an affordable way home to north america from DXB considering I moved here a few months ago. I've also been consistently using "Iran is my favourite country to visit " as one of my icebreaker facts at office parties and networking events -- wonderful people and an extremely rich history and culture.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:02 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The current ESTA question, for those for whom this is relevant, is:

So having a second passport or not doesn't make a difference. If you truthfully answer this question with 'yes' you should be prepared to have a background story.
if your second passport is Canadian or American, it doesn't matter now does it ?

I don't understand why the us finds it relevant what you do as the citizen of another country. If they were so concerned they should simply not allow multiple citizenship when becoming a us citizen , however this may be venturing into omni.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:04 pm

I was approved promptly for Global Entry after having been to Iran (and Pakistan).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
if your second passport is Canadian or American, it doesn't matter now does it ?

I don't understand why the us finds it relevant what you do as the citizen of another country. If they were so concerned they should simply not allow multiple citizenship when becoming a us citizen , however this may be venturing into omni.
I recognise the obvious incongruity, just pointing out that if you need ESTA and don’t have a sensible reason to be there, you might face some questions.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Very sad to see this go, Mrs Leaping_Deere is Iranian, the in-laws still live in Tehran, I've been 2 times, not as many as many times as I would like. (I had a short business visa just over 2 years ago and went twice quickly whilst I had it)

Trying to keep on topic and not getting into politics but It's an amazing country with an very complex history and society structure, which isn't surprising since it's one of the world oldest civilisations.

it doesn't surprise me, I think BA were getting alot of business from the Iranian-American/Canadians travellers but perhaps the european et al business travellers which they needed to make it profitable dried up with the renewed political troubles.

Reading around this news story it looks like LH, AF/KL are having similar problems, Alitalia will be left and TK of course. From a OW perspective there is still QR but every time I priced flights QR were the most expensive.

I would say to readers that please don't be put off and visit and don't worry about the USA situation, I was fortunate to keep my ESTA but Mrs Leaping_Deere had to get a B1 and she didn't have any problems.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:30 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The current ESTA question, for those for whom this is relevant, is:

So having a second passport or not doesn't make a difference. If you truthfully answer this question with 'yes' you should be prepared to have a background story.
My experience was that no background story other than the truth was necessary. I applied for and then got my US B1/B2 visa last year after visits to Somalia and Sudan as a tourist. It was a very straightforward process and they didn't question me on the specifics of my visits, other than ask where in each country I had visited. I'm sure that travelling to Iran as a tourist is infinitely more common than going to Somalia, and so I speak from experience that I wouldn't let the US visa thing put anyone off travelling to the US naughty list. It's an extra day off work (or a few hours if your'e London based) to sort the visa appointment out, and £140 or so, but they're not going to deny you entry because you went to Iran, and once you have the visa, you're good for 10 years.

So when's the Tehran Meet Up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.