Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LON-SYD TP run / work trip Mar 2019 - advice please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LON-SYD TP run / work trip Mar 2019 - advice please?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Question LON-SYD TP run / work trip Mar 2019 - advice please?

Hello

I have a conference in March and as I will have lost my Silver after (this) Dec I'm keen to use this trip to help regain it with a J trip.

What are the best options, for Mar 22 - 30th 2019, in terms of price and TP gain?

I like CX, so this via HKG is the obvious one. Business Class International (who were good for me before) have it for £3600ish, with the A350 from LGW. Expedia has this plus Hilton bundled with a small discount, so tempted to go with this (I have Hilton Gold via Amex and have so far been upgraded every time).

The AY polar route to HKG followed by QF is slightly cheaper at £3300 but I've tried the J on the A350 and although the hard product has less tatty finishes than CX, the latter gives me a warm fuzzier feeling over all with the food and service. I know everyone raves about QR but it comes in quite a bit more expensive (>£4K) and I'm a bit of a Sinophile when it comes to food etc. so I'm torn between repeating a recent happy CX experience (LON-HKG-HND, same LON-HKG flight), and having a new experience on QR. Happy to be convinced though.

In short, I'm currently thinking CX, LGW-HKG-SYD out and back.

Questions:

1. Should I be thinking of more creative route options? Different route? Imminent sales? All help very welcome!
2. Should I be booking via BA with hotel etc.?
3. If I use Avios toward part of it will it still earn TP? (sorry for the noob question) [Edit: just found answer is yes]
4. One of the CX options is for a 50 min changeover in HKG - is this just too tight?

Last edited by GCab; Aug 22, 2018 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by GCab
I have Hilton Gold via Amex and have so far been upgraded every time.
This is discretionary though. Officially status benefits now only apply when booking direct, however some properties are more generous than others. YMMV.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks - yes, and they don't give points either for TA bookings, I understand. However it has so far worked out quite well, so fingers crossed. I take your point though, so perhaps I shouldn't let the hotel status influence my thinking too much - thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Rust
If you want to maximise TP's then position to OSL and go OSL-LHR-SIN/HKG-PER-SYD. Depending on whether you go through HKG or SIN you're looking at 920/960 TP's. Around £2.5k looks possible
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! How/where would I find that?

Last edited by GCab; Aug 22, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Rust
You'll find it on ITA Matrix. Should be possible to book direct through BA if you phone them up and give them the flight numbers.

Multiple flight options, this is just one. Ideally you want the A330 rather than the 737 on the PER-SYD legs.

SIN both ways looks more expensive so you're looking at HKG both on the way back or both ways. Also if you're really wanting to chase the TP's you could get it up to 1040 by going for OSL-LHR-SIN-HKG-PER-SYD

Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nei1c
You'll find it on ITA Matrix. Should be possible to book direct through BA if you phone them up and give them the flight numbers.

Multiple flight options, this is just one. Ideally you want the A330 rather than the 737 on the PER-SYD legs.

SIN both ways looks more expensive so you're looking at HKG both on the way back or both ways. Also if you're really wanting to chase the TP's you could get it up to 1040 by going for OSL-LHR-SIN-HKG-PER-SYD

great for TPs but worth earning people that PER-SYD on a 738 after a very long trip is not a very pleasant experience...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
You can also book the SYD-PER legs on the A330, which has the new QF J product with lie-flat seats.
orbitmic and GCab like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the time put into this - gives me a few options ^
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread it's not that hard to miss this thread.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Marschel
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread it's not that hard to miss this thread.
You're 3.5 hours too late for your eyeroll emoji to carry any gravitas. Move on next time.
truncated likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Gig103
You're 3.5 hours too late for your eyeroll emoji to carry any gravitas. Move on next time.
No it's not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.