Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bird guessing...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Bird guessing...

You are on the terrace of the CCR (also works for people on GF), you don't know your gate number yet, but you know the plane type, more or less when the previous rotation will likely arrive, some of the gates it frequently uses, and as you see a plane making its way to the gate in a way that matches all of your known indicators, you think "heck, I'm ready to bet it's mine!".

Am I the only one playing those silly games?

PS: still no idea if my guess is right or not as my gate is still not officially out...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
At this point I'd probably know the tail number from flightradar24 or similar which makes the game rather easier.
orbitmic, tedcruz, aidy and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I tend to relax, enjoy the wine, and wait to be told which Gate.
orbitmic, DanAirLondon and rapidex like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:05 am

I just love soaking up the atmosphere of the airport. Our next visit to the CCR will be before dawn, so I am looking forward to seeing all the plane movements and activity from darkness to daylight.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Certainly. I do tend to find out the tail number of the aircraft if I've nothing to do on the way to the airport and see where my aircraft is coming from. Passes the time and makes for a funner time than The Times crossword (which I always give up on)! When travelling with someone, they are horrified by the accuracy of some of my predictions
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Ps: my guessing talent got vindicated!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:41 am

I play a similar game from the comfort of home, where I try to guess where a flight overhead on its way to LHR has come from, based on aircraft type and time. Not so doable with the SH aircraft but a good challenge for the widebodies.
Lefly, gustavmahler and orbitmic like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Looks like BA were playing too. They rewarded me with an upgrade and row 1 at that. Not that I’m a fan of the chicken salad or panino but I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I play a similar game from the comfort of home, where I try to guess where a flight overhead on its way to LHR has come from, based on aircraft type and time. Not so doable with the SH aircraft but a good challenge for the widebodies.
apparently the queen does as well, and some say she is very good at it.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I do this, too. I can see flights departing LHR going south east and then those landing coming in over London. Given that I sit on the balcony at about the same time in the evenings I’ve got pretty good at it. “Oh that must be the BA Delhi flight”, quick check on Flightradar24. My wife thinks I’m mad.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by gustavmahler

I do this, too. I can see flights departing LHR going south east and then those landing coming in over London. Given that I sit on the balcony at about the same time in the evenings I’ve got pretty good at it. “Oh that must be the BA Delhi flight”, quick check on Flightradar24. My wife thinks I’m mad.
I'm with you on this one. I'm in Woking and I went out to my balcony and raised a glass to my mum and dad as their aircraft passed on the way to JNB one time.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'm with you on this one. I'm in Woking and I went out to my balcony and raised a glass to my mum and dad as their aircraft passed on the way to JNB one time.
Before the days of Flight Radar, back in 1999 it was a bit hit and miss working out which aircraft was overhead in Wokingham,

Luckily the parents were on BA001 to JFK, so it was very obvious when it flew over Wokingham!!

Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Before the days of Flight Radar, back in 1999 it was a bit hit and miss working out which aircraft was overhead in Wokingham,

Luckily the parents were on BA001 to JFK, so it was very obvious when it flew over Wokingham!!

When landing towards London but coming from
the east, the flight path takes you almost to Wokingham, making a sharp right turn over a very ugly office block belonging to an IT company in Bracknell. Immediately know where we are when I see the red logo!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Following my kind invitation to GF for ten minutes last year by the lovely BAEC team I now sit outside GF gazing malevolently at those approaching the lounge in the hope they are turned away so I can fix them with a look of sheer triumph.

Yes its me.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by orbitmic
You are on the terrace of the CCR (also works for people on GF), you don't know your gate number yet, but you know the plane type, more or less when the previous rotation will likely arrive, some of the gates it frequently uses, and as you see a plane making its way to the gate in a way that matches all of your known indicators, you think "heck, I'm ready to bet it's mine!".

Am I the only one playing those silly games?
I lack the patience, will, and technical ability for any of this. But i note that if i ask one of the Lounge Angels what my gate number is likely to be, they invariably get it right, long before it is on the screens. How do they do that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.