Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Going to miss my connection due to late BA departure - whose responsibility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Currently sat on BA49 to SEA which is almost an hour late already, which means I am unlikely to make my AS connecting flight. It’s through ticketed so who has to take care of my onward arrangements- BA or AS?

also looking at Expertflyer there are no F seats on later AS flights so I suspect we are going to get downgraded. What level of compensation can I expect for a downgrade on one leg, SEA-ANC?

thanks guys!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by aristoph
Currently sat on BA49 to SEA which is almost an hour late already, which means I am unlikely to make my AS connecting flight. It’s through ticketed so who has to take care of my onward arrangements- BA or AS?

also looking at Expertflyer there are no F seats on later AS flights so I suspect we are going to get downgraded. What level of compensation can I expect for a downgrade on one leg, SEA-ANC?

thanks guys!
According to BA.COM BA 49 left 39 minutes late and is due to arrive 46 minutes late. Hopefully you will make the connection. Not much more to be said at this stage.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If you miss the connection, just go to the normal AS checkin and ask them to put you on the next flight assuming that they haven't already done so automatically. AS and BA will sort it out between themselves without your needing to worry about whose responsibility is at stake.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Technically speaking, the airline causing the delay is responsible for sorting you out, but I'd first try the AS desk in SEA.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
When I was late from BA, there was an AS person near the baggage carousel. She was kind enough to rebook me as had a tablet. Not sure if normal or just because of lateness. Went directly to gate to get BP for SEA-PDX-PSP flights. Otherwise you are stuck with AS desk.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
dWhat level of compensation can I expect for a downgrade on one leg, SEA-ANC?
If you choose to travel on the first available AS flight but in Y, there is no (invol) downgrade. I'm sure you will be able to be rebooked to the first AS flight with F seats available should you choose this rather than to travel on the first available AS flight with Y seats
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:03 pm

Why would an involuntary reroute to a later flight in a lower cabin not also be an involuntary downgrade? Accepting an involuntary reroute shouldn't make the downgrade any less voluntary, should it?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not only BA's responsibility, but if OP wishes a reroute in F (which presumably will not be the next flight), BA has a duty of care under EC 261/2004, while AS does not. Hotel and food may matter here so I would drop this in BA's lap.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Interesting poitns guys, thanks!

So we landed late (BA49 seems to leave late regularly!) but could still have made our connection if it hadn’t taken 45 minutes for the bags to come off. A lovely BA rep was there who told us we had been rebooked already onto a flight 2 hours later, we just needed to present ourselves at the Alaska desk.

Things got a lot more stressful when Alaska told us BA had not transferred us into First for the new flight and that we speak to BA to resolve. The desk at SEA had already closed, as we discovered had the BA call centre in New York. I know there are threads on this but, seriously, why does BA not have a global 24 hour re-route to whichever centre is open?? We called London and Hong Kong, both closed at the same time as New York.

Long story short, we went back to the Alaska desk and threw ourselves on their mercy and we are now waiting for our new flight with confirmed seats in First. But I’m very puzzled why BA sells tickets with 1h 50m connections through US airports. We have Global Entry so were as fast as could be, but a 50 minute delay on the flight plus the same again on baggage isn’t so unusual I think.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:17 am

I’m very puzzled why BA sells tickets with 1h 50m connections through US airports. We have Global Entry so were as fast as could be,
I suspect these short connections are suitable and often booked by hand baggage only customers...I would choose 3 hours+ for a connection with baggage involved
orbitmic and Lefly like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by caz312
I suspect these short connections are suitable and often booked by hand baggage only customers...I would choose 3 hours+ for a connection with baggage involved
indeed. I pretty much always travel hbo and certainly wouldn’t want to no longer be able to book those connections just because they might leave little room for manoeuvre where people have checked bags. In fact, I’ve frequently been in a position of being at the AA terminals long before the previous (ineligible) connection to my destination was ready to go!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Interesting. SEA looks like its 1hr30 MCT for BA to AS. I just lost a LAX routing in November due to a 1hr56 connection having dropped from the 2hr00 MCT. SEA and AS may well become my best viable to LAS and SLC on the early flight days, now the BA : AA arrangement seems to have swapped any early west coast / mid-west flights to AA.
I've long since taken the F seat on the internal connecting flight as a bonus given the 80%+ chances of not retaining it when moved onto the next flight due to delays; at least with AS won't be losing TPs
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by littlefish
I've long since taken the F seat on the internal connecting flight as a bonus given the 80%+ chances of not retaining it when moved onto the next flight due to delays; at least with AS won't be losing TPs
If booked as a BA codeshare then TPs could be at risk, but hopefully resolvable via ORC.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I find SEA can be hit or miss and all depends if your BA flight arrives a bit late and gets caught in the rush with a bunch of other international arrivals/connections
The last 2 times I’ve gone through it en route to SLC both in January the connections queue was such a mess we were guaranteed to miss connect so I just dragged the colleagues and left though the normal exit and went straight to the desk. Right decision both times as we were on a flight 2 hours later and by the time our colleagues got through the AS flights were all fully booked for the rest of the day with misconnects and they got into SLC the next morning.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The connection time is reasonable given this is AS’s main base and it offers multiple departures to most of its destinations throughout th3 day, so missing one’s original flight due to delays in clearing customs can be handled by protection on a later flight. AS has 20 flights a day between SEA and ANC, almost one every hour, so misconducts can easily be handled, albeit not always in F given the airline’s generous elite upgrade policy that pretty much fills any empty F seats with eligible elites on the day of flight. This makes reaccommodating premium mis-connections a problem on all three major US carriers and this is the problem OP encountered. Beyond downgrading an elite that has received their comp upgrade, it’s an ongoing problem. At minimum, a pro-rated $ compensation should have been offered but it would likely be a pretty small amount given the F fare between SEA-ANC and the LHR-SEA J or F fare. When protection is provided, airlines expect the customer would prefer getting onto the earliest flight in the lower category cabin vs waiting for premium cabin space to be available. As well today, most US legacy carriers provide an enhanced economy section offering free alcoholic drinks, a better snack and more leg room which can be a partial substitution for having no F seat available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.