Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unnecessary daggers thrown...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:09 am

I would have decked him! At 60 years of age I still cant control those red mist moments!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Skyflier
I would have decked him! At 60 years of age I still cant control those red mist moments!
Maybe less coffee needed.

I wouldnt do anything silly on a plane. the police officers turn up with guns on every occasion. Judges get a little upset.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Folk like that........
They should certainly not be allowed to breed........
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
As others have said, if sitting together was so important to them why didn't they sort that out as GCHs. Glad OP sat in his seat as if there is one thing that gets my goat is when people are demanding and pushy without any sort of justification. Mind you I would have told them it cost me £200 to reserve my seat and if they can cough up the cash there and then, I'd happily move otherwise, divider up and good night...muppets!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Apparently visitors aren't welcome on UD.
And for good reason. If every passenger up there entertained a visitor it would be more crowded (and noisier) than WT.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Summary:
"We both want to sit on the upper deck, so you move!"

"No."

Indeed if they wanted to sit together they could have asked the other person the lower inner seat pair to move upstairs; any knowing single traveller would be up there immediately.
12939 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
In these situations people have to understand - and a frequent flier almost certainly does - that the seat switch proposed is not equal.

Its quite transparent what they were trying to do: they couldn't both sit upstairs, so they thought they'd chance splitting and persuading some sucker to swap. I find it hard to believe this was about siting together, as there are plenty of ways to resolve that. And as others have said, it would have been a better trade to ask someone from downstairs to swap with her.

The other option is to ask for some cash for the swap. Many people pay quite a premium to reserve a seat up there. £100 cash in hand would have done it for me.

But no need to move. There are loads of reasons for refusing, particularly in this case. They were chancers, and it didnt work. And to continue to chunter away throughout the flight is unforgivable.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by V10
Give that man a medal. Chapeau.
I'd throw it back on the husband with my usual line:

"If sitting together was really that important to you, why didn't you book seats together instead of expecting everyone else to play musical chairs?"
MSPeconomist and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Sounds almost identical to a situation I came across on LHR-JFK earlier in the year.

Couple in their late 50s/60s I'd guess, husband gets pulled over for secondary at the gate and I board right behind the wife. I'm in 64K and she says to the welcoming FA upstairs, "My husband is Gold or whatever, but we're not sitting together" and demanded people be moved about. I have my large rollerboard on the storage bin, already open as I'm about to change in the toilet and I hear the FA say, "He looks like he's already rather settled". The guy in either 64A/B shows up and the couple plus FA manage to sweet talk him into taking 64J. He didn't seem too bothered by it but given this woman's attitude I would have expected an almost identical response to yours had he not helped out.

My only guess in your case is that they couldn't pre-assign upper deck seats together so found it better to pick one up there and then hope someone who doesn't care about their seats was willing to swap. Similarly in my case I was pretty certain they took any two upper deck seats as a pair wasn't available and banked on an easy switch.

Last edited by Fraser; Aug 16, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by chistery
Safety briefing done, divider up, end of problem.
I wouldn’t have heard a word of their moaning. Headphones go on as soon as I sit down and they only come off during the safety briefing as a courtesy to the crew.
flygirl68 likes this.
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Obviously got their Golds & Bronzes mixed up because of the mood lighting!

Good on you for sticking to your guns.

S

Programs: BAEC Silver
The crew must have realised as a “Gold” she would have flown quite abit.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Flying on the upper deck in Sept for the first time...now I'm going to be primed for something like this...LOL.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I find the divider and noise-cancelling headphones isolates me from that sort of nastiness.
Therein lies the fundamental problem of BA’s CW seat layout - never liked it, never will. Who in their right mind ever thought that the introduction of a dividing screen to ensure lack of awkward eye contact - and, in the OP’s case, apparently more - between two passengers facing each other at relatively close quarters was a satisfactory solution? And don’t even get me started on lack of direct aisle access.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Folk like that........
They should certainly not be allowed to breed........
Fortunately for the rest of us they couldn't because they weren't sat together!
endoman, Gerbs and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.