Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If BA are going to improve Premium Economy - what would you include??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If BA are going to improve Premium Economy - what would you include??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
The Club World improvements are welcome though I'm yet to sample the service. It almost feels with the meal improved in Economy, you'd be better off with that meal. So what would you change or introduce?
If it were up to me there'd be changes galore.

But remember that BA is anxious not to divert demand from its business-class cabin, and so will keep the WTP cabin and service firmly as economy plus, rather thananything approaching business light.

So WTP will always represent a small improvement on the economy product, sold for significantly more money; rather than something that could replace business-class for significantly less money.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
WTP is a great product, especially for the self financed, allowing a whole different experience to the back of the plane, as well as enhanced tier points. Recently on a SU PE flight, I realized there are PE dedicated toilets, and I found it to be a truly great feature. The BA version of sharing toilets with Y passengers is a whole different experience, and if anything, would be brilliant to have a WTP toilets for exclusive use...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The food, especially the second meal, is the main point where WT+ jars you back into "this is economy". For routes where the economy food offering is risible, this is particularly bad. The first meal could do with a few additional features to make it nicer, too.

The seat, especially the newer seats on the A380, 787 and newer 777, are quite good.

Of course there are always ways to make it worse, which can be summarised as making the seat space less while providing more additional accessories that are not the point of purchasing WT+. The report on the LGW seats sounds like that. I do fear that BA will increase distractions like IFE and food while decreasing space, and space is what I'm paying for with WT+. I can bring my own entertainment, food, etc. I cannot bring my own space to WT that means I'm not tensed into a stress position or pressed at the extremities by the seat for the length of the flight and that is why I buy WT+ when I can.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'm perfectly happy with WTP for work travel to the Far East - it's reasonably comfortable, there is a little space to work (when you learn to work with the seat recline from in front) - and it's a good compromise to give a little extra legroom. When you get an old cabin you do notice it, but the newer cabins are fine.

What would I add to it? Not much really. It's an OK product and you usually get decent bang per buck. Possibly access to one of the J toilets.

Just on the question of meals to India - this is I think a route thing. My theory on this is that you'll get a significant number - possibly majority - of veggie meals pre-ordered, and the remainder is divided up 50/50 so the actual number of butter chicken (to take a particularly delicious example) is lower than it would be in a flight to other places. It used to drive me mad when I was in Y a few years ago, you would have the specials come out and be surrounded by nice smelling food, and then when the actual trolley arrived all there was a cheese omelette. I had my most significant DYKWIA moment about this once and was issued with a crew meal as a result, still a little embarrassed about that. Don't get this so much in WTP to be honest, but you can pre-order on the way out anyway, and I usually put myself in the front exit row anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Personally, as a 6ft 4in lanky b*astard, I find WTP a good step up from WT. The leg room in economy is simply inadequate for me and that's the main benefit.

The smaller cabin is generally full of more frequent flyers or at least those who know whats going on. It seems a more relaxed place to be than at the back.

I've been OpUpped to CW more often than not, but wouldn't hand over cash for CW. It's good to lie down and have a better meal, but it's also good to have £xxx to spend on alternative uses.

In WTP, I've never had any food which was inedible. When it comes down to it, I'm on a plane having a quick light meal to keep me going. I don't particularly need anything overly fancy. If I could pay an extra £50 to get full CW meals I'm not sure I'd be bothered.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Another fan of WTP here - I usually travel in CW for work, but I find WTP perfect for heading off on holiday, with the added bonus of reasonably regular upgrades from full cabins.

I honestly can’t think of much that could be easily added by BA to improve the product. I think they’ve got it just about right
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:12 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by escape2sun
When WTP was first launched and I was one some of the early flights, it cost 59GBP more to NYC and 79GBP more to CPT per leg, and I managed to get my company and customers to pay the additional amount as I was more refreshed and productive on arrival. On those flights you got champagne as a pre-take off drink, hot towels before take off and better food. Now it seems it can be 1000GBP more for a lot less, so improvements are necessary.

On my last WTP flight, just after the the Club mains were on offer, they ran out of the chicken mains by the time they got to me. I was in 11J, and they started with 12AB, worked back, then on my side I was the first to be offer a choice, that couldn't be satisfied.
I’m surprised about this report about WTP when it was first launched. I distinctly remember reading at the time that WTP service and food was the same as economy, the only difference was the seat.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As another reference point, I've flown Air France PE a few times long haul to South America. The seats don't really recline, they kind of slide into themselves. They were really uncomfortable.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
It’s a competitive cabin compared to peers unlike business class. A simple change to the second meal would help especially the lousy breakfast though maybe that has improved with WT. VS is far superior in my experience for making it feel premium with the dedicated checkins, toilets and second meals (the 787 has a Club Kitchen like thing too).

Upgrade rate to CW is pretty good but if in WR being upgraded into a middle seat on the old cabins would likely not be welcome.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:24 am

When BA finally announce and install the new J class seats, move the old J ones into WTP and then we can all have fun reading a barrage of trip reports winging about 'yingyang' and pole vaulting over sleeping passengers
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
A decent pillow and a blanket would be a nice addition. Better wines won't happen anyway. Nor will a dedicated member of cabin crew. Don't really care about the second meal/breakfast on short East Coast flights.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think WTP on the Dreamliner is a great product. As much as I am often underwhelmed by CW, I seem to be impressed by WTP.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was surprised too, the two reports are in this thread:
High density 777 from FLL to LGW

Now I'm wary of diverting the thread from the main line of argument, however these LGW's refits are potentially the future shape of WTP. From the official BA photos the new cabin looks quite impressive, but from the link above, not everyone is happy with it. There are some differences with the LGW seat judging from the photos.

Photos from @firstlight here of the new LGW 777 WTP cabin:
[First FT Pictures] G-VIIX refurbishment [LGW B772, including 3-4-3 seating in WT] ...
I think this seat is the preferred IAG new PE seat going forward that we may see on the A350s B777-10s and densified B777-300s.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:50 am

I wonder if Cruz has thought about densification of WTP to 9 seats across and marketing it as a feature packed seat with more room than economy?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by richardwft
I think this seat is the preferred IAG new PE seat going forward that we may see on the A350s B777-10s and densified B777-300s.
And indeed as was mentioned by Prospero in the main thread, it appears to be the basis of the new Iberia Premium Economy (Turista Premium) product for their A330 and A340-600 services:
https://www.iberia.com/gb/turista-premium/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.