Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Enhanced(!) bread choice in Club World (mini-rant!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced(!) bread choice in Club World (mini-rant!)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Angry Enhanced(!) bread choice in Club World (mini-rant!)

When was the bread choice in CW enhanced away? And who chose that awful thing they call bread now, with bits on the outside and bits on the inside. I'm tired of it! Can't we have something "normal" and edible, rather than some neo-para-modern-paleo-crypto-seedio-preclassic-meta-bread?

Yes, yes... I'm sure there are plenty who like it. And yes, yes, I know this is very much a first world problem. But I'd just like some normal bread with my dinner or lunch... please? Is that too much to ask for?

rb211.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by RB211
When was the bread choice in CW enhanced away? And who chose that awful thing they call bread now, with bits on the outside and bits on the inside. I'm tired of it! Can't we have something "normal" and edible, rather than some neo-para-modern-paleo-crypto-seedio-preclassic-meta-bread?

Yes, yes... I'm sure there are plenty who like it. And yes, yes, I know this is very much a first world problem. But I'd just like some normal bread with my dinner or lunch... please? Is that too much to ask for?

rb211.
Enhanced bread?!?! I flew them last month to YYC and there was no bread option and just 1 seeded brown roll. It wasn't great. A variation might be nice or just even a white roll? I mean garlic bread like SQ would be nice but not expected but you'd think a choice of white/brown would be simple and nice.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george77300
Enhanced bread?!?! I flew them last month to YYC and there was no bread option and just 1 seeded brown roll. It wasn't great. A variation might be nice or just even a white roll? I mean garlic bread like SQ would be nice but not expected but you'd think a choice of white/brown would be simple and nice.
Yes, the "one seeded brown roll" you refer to is what I referred to as "neo-para-modern-paleo-crypto-seedio-preclassic-meta-bread!"

Yes, simple roll/bread, choice of brown or white. How hard can it be?

rb211.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes, the "one seeded brown roll" you refer to is what I referred to as "neo-para-modern-paleo-crypto-seedio-preclassic-meta-bread!"

Yes, simple roll/bread, choice of brown or white. How hard can it be?

rb211.
I got that reference...

I would have loved an option. Surely white rolls are not that expensive. Like seriously no choice of bread in business. On SQ (from personal experience) and many others give you like 10 options including garlic bread and warm/cold. I totally wasn't expecting that from BA but a basic white or brown choice is so needed.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
“Interesting Bread, please.”

Perhaps it’s a reflection of my past, where in Post-War Rationing Britain a slice of Hovis was as exciting as bread ever got?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
I miss the floppy warm focaccia style bread they used to serve.
HIDDY, yabadoo, ChrisMcP and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george77300
I got that reference...

I would have loved an option. Surely white rolls are not that expensive. Like seriously no choice of bread in business. On SQ (from personal experience) and many others give you like 10 options including garlic bread and warm/cold. I totally wasn't expecting that from BA but a basic white or brown choice is so needed.
They used to have a choice. It wouldn't be so bad if the current bread weren't so... eclectic!

rb211.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
“Interesting Bread, please.”

Perhaps it’s a reflection of my past, where in Post-War Rationing Britain a slice of Hovis was as exciting as bread ever got?
A slice of Hovis in CW would be considered by me as... "luxury!" (In a broad Yorkshire accent!) Now if only the butter weren't so hard that it rips it all apart... problems, problems...

rb211.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My fault for buying my wife a breadmaker many years ago. I am thus accustomed to freshly-baked “interesting bread” laced with seeds, garlic, cheese, sundried tomatoes, nuts etc. (not all at once, of course!)
tynmar likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
A slice of Hovis in CW would be considered by me as... "luxury!" (In a broad Yorkshire accent!) Now if only the butter weren't so hard that it rips it all apart... problems, problems...

rb211.
Is that same Hovis bread that was in that famous advert shot by Ridley Scott in Shaftesbury Dorset with a soft country burr commentary that somehow almost everyone thinks was Yorkshire?

I write as a Yorkshireman who has been miscast in that advert for the last 45 years
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
My fault for buying my wife a breadmaker many years ago. I am thus accustomed to freshly-baked “interesting bread” laced with seeds, garlic, cheese, sundried tomatoes, nuts etc. (not all at once, of course!)
My wife bought her own breadmakers (yes, plural) and she bakes brilliant bread! OK, that is my opinion, but also the opinion of a lot of our friends who have sampled some. However, I find most other bread doesn't compare to any of hers, and therefore I want something simple. Something that is still recognizable as bread that isn't over the top. The current CW roll doesn't fit either of those criteria, IMNSHO!

Maybe we should have a significant other's bread competition at some BA FT DO in the future. Something to soak up the drinks! Or maybe I'll just have to fly to Jersey with a sample. That should rack up a few TPs. And I do like Jersey - went there many times when I was younger. A bit of a favourite spot for our family. Last time my brother was there it snowed.

rb211.
wrp96 and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
The 'enhanced' bread choice is....take it or leave it !
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheOldMan
The 'enhanced' bread choice is....take it or leave it !
Thanks - that made me chuckle!

rb211.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
Is that same Hovis bread that was in that famous advert shot by Ridley Scott in Shaftesbury Dorset with a soft country burr commentary that somehow almost everyone thinks was Yorkshire?

I write as a Yorkshireman who has been miscast in that advert for the last 45 years
Very possibly, but my reference to the Yorkshire accent was for the word "luxury" and the famous sketch by Monty Python.

rb211.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RB211 ... I shall put that suggestion to her for the next JER DO!!

But first I guess I need to kick one into life ... once I’ve got our 2019 travels sorted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.