Wiki Posts
Search

BA 2for1 2 one ways vs return taxes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

BA 2for1 2 one ways vs return taxes

Hi
Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this.
I booked outbound to SIN one way using the 2for1 voucher.
Then added an inbound from HKG later.
I worked out the taxes as the outbound and return individually, however when I added the return the taxes were a lot more. I asked why and BA said its because it was being booked as a return ticket.
Have I screwed up here, should I have insisted on 2 one way tickets instead?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No, because you can’t use your voucher as “two one ways”

So would cost double Avios to save a few quid
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benadams3
Hi
I worked out the taxes as the outbound and return individually, however when I added the return the taxes were a lot more. I asked why and BA said its because it was being booked as a return ticket.
Funnily enough I have just posted a reply on the BA Amex card thread dealing with the same thing, so I'll just copy it in here - basically what you have been charged is correct

The TFC is calculated as a return of LHR-SIN/HKG-LHR and will include carrier surcharge both ways. You are right that HKG has no carrier surcharge but only for bookings originating from HKG - so if you are booking a reward it is always better to book as two one ways. However, when you are using a 2-4-1 you should book as a return to get the avios benefit both ways.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

thanks guys!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
No, because you can’t use your voucher as “two one ways”
Originally Posted by KARFA
Funnily enough I have just posted a reply on the BA Amex card thread dealing with the same thing, so I'll just copy it in here - basically what you have been charged is correct
This is interesting as I recently booked the outbound to USA using a voucher, then added the inbound online at 01:00 paying the full avios rates. I called up in the morning to have the voucher applied to the inbound and got half the avios back (is that what you mean by getting 'the avios benefit both ways'?). The agent explained that the tickets remain as 2 one-ways (and that she was unable to make it into a return ticket) and noted that the taxes are higher that way than they would have been as a return. This seems to be 180 out from what you are describing above.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
This is interesting as I recently booked the outbound to USA using a voucher, then added the inbound online at 01:00 paying the full avios rates. I called up in the morning to have the voucher applied to the inbound and got half the avios back (is that what you mean by getting 'the avios benefit both ways'?). The agent explained that the tickets remain as 2 one-ways (and that she was unable to make it into a return ticket) and noted that the taxes are higher that way than they would have been as a return. This seems to be 180 out from what you are describing above.
Yes it's now possible to complete your booking this way (if you have the full avios for the inbound) and if you are travelling East it is generally a good tactic to do so, particularly returning from HKG.
Anonba likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
yes this is a way to do it now, however it means you pay a much higher level of carrier surcharges overall. As noted it may be advantageous to do it if returning from HKG.

It is definitely not recommended for a booking returning from the US - for those doing it the older way of calling at midnight to add on the return seats when released is far better as the TFC is calculated as a return so avoids the much higher exUS carrier surcharge.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by benadams3
Hi
i added the inbound from HKG later too by booking at 1am but then simply called BA to get the avios refunded by applying the 241 to the return leg. still only paid the 30 or so pounds in tax for HKG departure as ticket was not considered as a return
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes this is a way to do it now, however it means you pay a much higher level of carrier surcharges overall. As noted it may be advantageous to do it if returning from HKG.

In my case, I took the additional taxes on the chin - the inbound flight was there online (while I was on the phone to USA) so I grabbed it rather than risk losing it while on hold or being transferred to the Indian call centre. It was worth the extra £200 or so (to me, at the time) to get the right flight. I just don't get the earlier answers saying it can't be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.