Community
Wiki Posts
Search

INV-LHR-ORD - going to miss INV-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I was wondering exactly the same thing. It strikes me that the CoC as shown up thread supersede the generally held belief that if flying ex-EU (or in this case, INV) missing the first part of the flight cancels the whole journey as you are deemed to be a 'no show'. Now, if it's possible to get to the starting point that makes sense, but there could be all manner of reasons beyond the pax control whereby they might only be able to join the journey from stage two (a LON airport). Even things like a broken down car on the way to say LHR to begin a positioning flight could effectively be beyond the control of a pax, or a car accident, etc.

Very interested to read what some of the better informed members' take is on this.
I personally would only rely on that CoC as an absolute last resort and try everything I could to get on to that first sector even at additional cost.

Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:16 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Interesting point on the conditions of carriage that was made up-thread. It sounds very much that the OP in this scenario would have been protected by the CoC.I have heard this section of the CoC mentioned on here a few times, but has any of you ever relied on it? Has anybody ever had to test it in court?
I'm not sure that CoC are that useful. One of the brilliant things about FT is that it shows what can and will (might) be (has been) done IRL. That's a lot more useful than knowing what your rights are.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Gomac

I personally would only rely on that CoC as an absolute last resort and try everything I could to get on to that first sector even at additional cost.

I'm not a lawyer, but "events beyond your control" would imply to me that you are required to make reasonable arrangements. For example separate bookings, short time between flights on a non back to back is a recipe for disaster - and even if a specific flight delay is beyond control, making reasonable plans with adequate contingency certainly is within control.

But in the big picture it sounds very much like, if you have made a reasonable plan and things go pear shape due to some external influence, you are covered.

I'm just a little surprised that this has never come up here. It sounds great in terms of ensuring peace of mind.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Quite frankly I would have no issues in quoting the clause above. It's there for a reason and it was BA who put it there in the first place.

f this hadn't gone the way it did, I would have forfeited the trip and would have proceeded to recover the ticket cost plus compensation for denied boarding. But it didn't, so this is all a moot point. I'm just glad that BA was flexible in this instance, inline with their own laid out Conditions of Carriage. I'm not jumping on the band wagon of how should I be eternally grateful to BA for this.
squawk likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:02 am

Very pleased that it worked out for you so well in the end @mario.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Enjoy Chicago!! My favourite US city !
Mr.JimmyFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mario
Quite frankly I would have no issues in quoting the clause above. It's there for a reason and it was BA who put it there in the first place.

f this hadn't gone the way it did, I would have forfeited the trip and would have proceeded to recover the ticket cost plus compensation for denied boarding. But it didn't, so this is all a moot point. I'm just glad that BA was flexible in this instance, inline with their own laid out Conditions of Carriage. I'm not jumping on the band wagon of how should I be eternally grateful to BA for this.
Given the Conditions of Carriage how odd that she had to speak to a supervisor for 15 minutes!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by mario

Personally I would say a bit of gratitude would be appropriate. There was never any denied boarding here.....you would otherwise have been a no-show at Inverness and the ticket cancelled.

BA has not always placed much emphasis on the CoC, there take could have been that you left no contingency on your positioning flight.

Anyway it has ended well here.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

I'm not a lawyer, but "events beyond your control" would imply to me that you are required to make reasonable arrangements. For example separate bookings, short time between flights on a non back to back is a recipe for disaster - and even if a specific flight delay is beyond control, making reasonable plans with adequate contingency certainly is within control.

But in the big picture it sounds very much like, if you have made a reasonable plan and things go pear shape due to some external influence, you are covered.

I'm just a little surprised that this has never come up here. It sounds great in terms of ensuring peace of mind.
I agree, and it is risky not having any flex - but even if it had happened 2 hours earlier I suspect OP (even with own knowledge and this board) would have been really up against it. Everyone has their own risk tolerance, and their own constraints.

I would say “well done” to BA for being pragmatic and understanding, but would be wary of taking it as a precedent.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A very good outcome and well done for handling the situation with a positive outcome. However (and there has to be someone who says this....) I don't think anyone should take your experience for granted. It's much better and far less risky to do a back to back in this situation, or at least use a BA service if going the night before.
I also wonder to what extent OP's GGL status helped here, i.e. whether a Blue/Silver/Gold would have got the same result, all other things being equal.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I also wonder to what extent OP's GGL status helped here, i.e. whether a Blue/Silver/Gold would have got the same result, all other things being equal.
In my 5 years as GGL I have never had anybody from BA bend the rules for me. You get a response much faster and you tend to speak to more experienced staff - which sometimes helps the outcome because they can think of better solutions - but they always follow the rules.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps

I'm not a lawyer, but "events beyond your control" would imply to me that you are required to make reasonable arrangements.
"Events beyond your control" is defined in the CoC:

Events beyond your control - unusual and unforeseeable circumstances which you cannot control and the consequences of which you could not have avoided even if you had taken all due care.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
"Events beyond your control" is defined in the CoC:
So in this case, could mario have taken greater precaution to avoid this circumstance? By not taking a back to back, and leaving no margin for error in the event his positioning flight was cancelled, maybe BA were generous here in applying their CoC.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I was wondering exactly the same thing. It strikes me that the CoC as shown up thread supersede the generally held belief that if flying ex-EU (or in this case, INV) missing the first part of the flight cancels the whole journey as you are deemed to be a 'no show'. Now, if it's possible to get to the starting point that makes sense, but there could be all manner of reasons beyond the pax control whereby they might only be able to join the journey from stage two (a LON airport). Even things like a broken down car on the way to say LHR to begin a positioning flight could effectively be beyond the control of a pax, or a car accident, etc.

Very interested to read what some of the better informed members' take is on this.
A friend of mine once had an issue similar (somewhat) to the CoC. Their father in law passed away while they were due to do a B2B in BRU, and I suggested they call and explain. Things worked out in a similar manner, although I guess it dependent on those making individual decisions.

Off topic and incidental, but I’m currently in ORD waiting for my flight back to INV, and I just got a call informing me that my cousin has just been re-admitted to hospital (she has late stage ALS). Would it be better to let the Cabin Crew know, or should I just ask to be offloaded when landing in LHR (HBO).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by arnie.
...... I’m currently in ORD waiting for my flight back to INV, and I just got a call informing me that my cousin has just been re-admitted to hospital (she has late stage ALS). Would it be better to let the Cabin Crew know, or should I just ask to be offloaded when landing in LHR (HBO).
You don't need to ask anyone, or tell anyone. Just enter the UK through Heathrow.

I imagine there are quite a number of abandoned LHR INV sectors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.