Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London - Tokyo mid-point meet up city

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Bear in mind that flying both of you "half-way" will definitely be more expensive than flying one of you all the way each time. So if this is an excuse to have some interesting long weekends in random cities around the world (and why not!), then go ahead, but if you wanted to maximise the frequency of seeing each other within a given budget, then you'd be better off meeting up in London or Tokyo, particularly if you wouldn't need hotels in those cities either.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:49 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
BKK is cheap, KUL, does it need to always be the same city?
Originally Posted by pauldb
Just because of the overnight flight times, HKG isn’t totally unsuited to a long weekend from LON.
Given that BKK, KUL & HKG are all actually further from London than Tokyo, the OP's partner might as well just go to Tokyo!
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:17 am
Suspended

Seattle, Portland, Vancouver.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Any of the below:
  • YVR, SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, DEN, SLC
  • ALA, DXB, AUH, MCT, TAS
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The idea of meeting half way the long way around on the North American continent just because half way on the short way around is the unattractive middle of Siberia is hilarious.

If you want to go to a third location for the fun, then pick one of the more attractive choices above, like Helsinki (I'm not sure why anyone would go to meet up in Dubai, given their tendency to imprison tourists arbitrarily). Otherwise, go to London or Tokyo as you wish. If one of you has more money and the other has more time, then the cash-rich person can buy some of the tickets while the time-rich person travels. If it's all equal, then just swap round whether you go to London or Tokyo. Frankly, if you want to spend time with your partner it may be less strain to spend it in a place one of you is familiar with and has a base in rather than adding third-location stress (unfamiliar hotel, language, culture, geography) to the strain of long term separation.

I did this sort of thing for quite a while in the past, and while holidays away together had novelty value, simply visiting in each other's home locations was more relaxing.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
New York?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

London and Tokyo are two truly world class cities. Why wouldn’t you just meet there?

Otherwise the choice is thin - direct flights from London are basically Moscow and then the next place is Seoul. Siberia is interesting but a pain to access from London. India might be an option but why put both of you through an 8 hour flight when just one could do it to either Tokyo or London in a little over 11?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Most of these place require a flight nearly as long as London-Tokyo vv and two of you have to do rather than just one. I don’t see how this makes sense either financially or practically.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Seoul is two long day flights (at least on BA), which makes it a bit less attractive.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gms
Given that BKK, KUL & HKG are all actually further from London than Tokyo, the OP's partner might as well just go to Tokyo!
This is true, but with judicious use of miles and depending on flight availability, these options might all be much cheaper or offer better flight schedules for jetlag than Tokyo, which can be a nightmare.

That said, there is no good "3k mile" option for both partners; at least one of you is flying 6k miles or so.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
The idea of meeting half way the long way around on the North American continent just because half way on the short way around is the unattractive middle of Siberia is hilarious.

If you want to go to a third location for the fun, then pick one of the more attractive choices above, like Helsinki (I'm not sure why anyone would go to meet up in Dubai, given their tendency to imprison tourists arbitrarily). Otherwise, go to London or Tokyo as you wish. If one of you has more money and the other has more time, then the cash-rich person can buy some of the tickets while the time-rich person travels. If it's all equal, then just swap round whether you go to London or Tokyo. Frankly, if you want to spend time with your partner it may be less strain to spend it in a place one of you is familiar with and has a base in rather than adding third-location stress (unfamiliar hotel, language, culture, geography) to the strain of long term separation.

I did this sort of thing for quite a while in the past, and while holidays away together had novelty value, simply visiting in each other's home locations was more relaxing.
good one!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by mec72
Seoul is two long day flights (at least on BA), which makes it a bit less attractive.
the flight to Seoul lands at about 0730 and I believe is treated as a night flight
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:12 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by squawk
... There are also several other interesting places nearby - the Baltic States, Sweden, and even St Petersburg
St. Peter Line ferry makes it possible for you to spend 3 days in St Pete's from HEL without a Russian visa

Last edited by DeathSlam; Aug 10, 2018 at 10:13 am Reason: stopped shouting
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your really helpful comments! Given there aren’t that many really perfect mid-cities, it’s a very good point that the cost of 2 flying somewhere would be more expensive than 1 flying all the way to Tokyo or London.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:21 am

Given the latest announced sanctions from the US I think overflights across Russia by American, and then presumably UK airlines are highly unlikely in three month’s time. I suggest you may well need to meet up in Anchorage. I’m sure it’s a lovely place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.