Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying for gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, Wyndham Gold
Qualifying for gold

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experence of getting gold despite not quite making 1500 TP?

My TP year ends in 4 weeks, I have a couple of flights next week that will take me to 1495 and then nothing else planned. Do I need to do a TP run to get the missing 5 points, or is that close enough that BA will give me gold when my TP year ends regardless? I assume its a hard line you need to cross but just thought id ask before i find a random flight to book

Thanks,
Anthony
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It's a hard line to qualify. If BA was to "gift" you Gold at 1495, the next person will be after it at 1490 and so on.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
I think is just best to do a very short mileage run, I would not rely on BA's mercy
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, Wyndham Gold
Yep fair enough, I thought it would be, just annoying that I got as close as you can get without crossing over!

Need to find a random flight to book up now
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:16 pm

I’ve heard them give a slight extension to the collection year if you have flights booked just outside the shut off date.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My wife got her Silver card last year when she did not get 600 points. She did not ask, just got it. I would not rely on it though.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by everGLAdes
I’ve heard them give a slight extension to the collection year if you have flights booked just outside the shut off date.
BA offer a 14 day grace period where you can ask for flights in the first 14 days of your new membership year to be credited to your old year so as to maintain / earn a status level.

I've not heard of BA extending status based on bookings (which can easily be changed / cancelled).

They may maintain someone's status in specific circumstances but it cannot be relied on.
everGLAdes likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Originally Posted by antuk
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experence of getting gold despite not quite making 1500 TP?
Your profile says you're silver currently? If you were a gambler (or were a complete devotee of this forum) you'd let it run and report back on what happens...

Assuming you're not, a cheeky day trip will get you 10 tps, you can do it up to 2 weeks after the end of your year, and hey, you might enjoy it! Look for selling class G (if you're an ITA convert use "f bc=G" in the outbound extensions box (and return)) and I use "AMS, ABZ, DUB, FRA, GVA, HAM, INV, LIS, MUC, NCE, FCO, ARN, VIE, ZRH, BRU, RTM, CPH, ORY, CDG, MRS, MAD, BCN, EDI, GLA, TXL, LIN, MXP, NCL, OSL, PRG, GOT, MAN, LBA, LUX, DUS" as my destination list. Did a quick look for the coming Saturday and there's decent availability for LUX, HAM, BCN and a few others Booking on BA is always a little cheaper than Matrix suggests and you'll get a price sub £90, even less if you're avios rich.

I think most people would feel that, being so close, an extra £80 to get Gold is well worthwhile even if your travel plans for the upcoming year aren't great.

Edit: "C:BA" in the Outbound routing code" (and return) streamlines the query further. Cap doff to Peasouper for the coding...
T8191 and squawk like this.

Last edited by Keep it Riel; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:35 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have 1495 and am still silver
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:50 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Quite possibly a good reason to take a weekend trip down to London or somewhere in continental europe

A cheap Y ticket to LHR from EDI should get you the 5 TPs needed.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:58 am

I think there's lots of evidence of people retaining Gold when short of 1500TPs. It happened to me. The issue is that it's completely unpredictable. Only way to be certain is to hit the target as suggested above.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback, however on this occasion a very fortuitous thing has happened. My corporate travel team made a mistake when they booked my flight and it got booked for the wrong day, for whatever reason they said when correcting it that club was the same cost (it didn’t look like it to me but I wasn’t going to argue) so im flying back in club which means I hit the target ��

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.