Search

CW to JFK is it worth the extra?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
CW to JFK is it worth the extra?

Hello

I am looking at going to New York for a long weekend. I can see economy fares coming in around £387 return.

I tried having a look at Ex-EU from DUB and couldn't see anything under £1,700.

Is it worth the extra for Club World or even AA Business product?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What does £1,300 mean to you personally? No biggie? Then go for it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
It wouldn’t be worth it to me
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:42 am

I wouldn't personally cross the Atlantic in anything less than J, so I would definitely go for it. If you are paying cash, I would recommend to look at AA (via LHR) outbound, BA back to get the best overall package of J products.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I would pay £1,300 but can’t see any £1,300 fares available :-(
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by tomparskate
I think LondonElite is referencing the approximate difference between £387 in Y and £1,700 in J.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
I'd be fine in WTP for 6 hours, at least on the outbound. If you come back on the daytime flight(s) then it might work both ways. Gives you the option of UUA too.
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
It's always going to be subjective. I always go with "do I want to lie down on my overnight return rather than make the best of it while sitting up" i'll sometimes take a WT/ WTP ( or equivalent) outbound during the day and CW on the overnight back & this can make things a bit cheaper if money isn't abundant/ your unsure of spending out the money on a flight so that could be an option to look at.

On that route you'll have Do & Co catering on the way back so it will be extra nice food & service wise and the crew will be more than used to it as it's where the new service started. There's the MASSIVE difference in TP's as well for retaining your Silver if that's a factor.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I think LondonElite is referencing the approximate difference between £387 in Y and £1,700 in J.
@:-)
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Use the opportunity to try something unusual or different? E.g. Premium Norwegian on a A380 (until 23 August)? Icelandair? Or try landing into BOS on a shorthaul A321 from PDL?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Daytime flight, your money, economy is fine. People get a bit precious about travel class. There's something in the deep psychology of acquired gains I guess.

Rationally, £1300 is a lot to pay for a guarantee of a non-shared armrest, poor to medium quality meal (relative to what you can get in a good restaurant), and a bed you probably won't use except as a place to put your feet. It can buy you a shedload of luxury at the far end which you have time to enjoy and is actually worth having. It's only a 7 hour flight, and you get films to watch.

Incidentally, "La Compagnie" flights from Paris seem very inexpensive, could be an option if you want to try something different.
tynmar likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:50 am

When are you looking to travel? There are some interesting flights in J around Christmas: ex-DUB via PHL on the way out (AA); back via LHR (BA) for around £1,400.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I would echo much of what bisonrav says above.

This is a relatively short sector, all said & done. If you’re in two minds, then you might want to consider for a few moments just what you could do with an extra £1300 whilst actually in NYC - rather than simply getting to & from it. It’s a figure that will buy some very high quality accommodation, not to mention all manner of other comforts / luxuries during your brief stay out there.
CaroFos likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've been bumped from WT+ to CW on 3 of the last 4 LHR/JFK segments. I paid a £70 premium over economy for the WT+ fare.

There's no way I'd pay a further £1,200 to go to CW - much rather spend it elsewhere.

How much is the WT+ fare on your chosen dates?
CaroFos likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My travelling is leisure only out of my pocket - I wouldn't spend much more than £1k on an exSOMEWHERE not London J fare to NYC.

I think my price point for West Coast is £1200-1300

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.