Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK CCR is a zoo tonight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
JFK CCR is a zoo tonight

Nearing the end of a TP run, which hasn’t gone to plan so far, and I was looking forward to the oasis of calm that is the CCR.

Unfortunately, it is a zoo. Children running around, screaming, being ignored by their families, who are occasionally managing to be be louder than them.

But the whole lounge can hear half the conversation of a gentleman in the dining area, who appears to be (successfully) talking to someone in Boston, without the benefit of telecommunication equipment. That he has been talking about a deal he is setting up, where the gender balance of the board will deliberately differ from the companies stated aim of gender balance is neither here nor there.....
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
The summer weather and summer holidays gets to us all! Roll on the winter quiet times!
Thomathy likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Nearing the end of a TP run, which hasn’t gone to plan so far, and I was looking forward to the oasis of calm that is the CCR.

Unfortunately, it is a zoo. Children running around, screaming, being ignored by their families, who are occasionally managing to be be louder than them.

But the whole lounge can hear half the conversation of a gentleman in the dining area, who appears to be (successfully) talking to someone in Boston, without the benefit of telecommunication equipment. That he has been talking about a deal he is setting up, where the gender balance of the board will deliberately differ from the companies stated aim of gender balance is neither here nor there.....
Yes I was there too! Did you see that one particular child trying to deliberately damage the corner sofa? His mother was looking, smiling and then ignoring. I bet that child's parents wouldn't put up with that sort of destructive behaviour at home, so why here? Disgraceful and it ruins the experience for everyone else (like the lovely elderly couple next to me who were wondering why they spent their retirement money on this). Don't know if you saw the other child who was throwing crisps on the floor and then stamping on them to create an almighty mess.

I was really tempted to say something, but then didn't want to take a chance. You never know in this day and age that constructive advice could end up in an altercation. Not worth it.
mikeyfly and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Killian_S
Yes I was there too! Did you see that one particular child trying to deliberately damage the corner sofa? His mother was looking, smiling and then ignoring. I bet that child's parents wouldn't put up with that sort of destructive behaviour at home, so why here? Disgraceful and it ruins the experience for everyone else (like the lovely elderly couple next to me who were wondering why they spent their retirement money on this). Don't know if you saw the other child who was throwing crisps on the floor and then stamping on them to create an almighty mess.

I was really tempted to say something, but then didn't want to take a chance. You never know in this day and age that constructive advice could end up in an altercation. Not worth it.
from the sounds of your report it's disappointing they weren't thrown out of the lounge.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.

Why didn't you just subtly explain this to a lounge agent?
HMPS likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
Surely during their walkabouts the servers and or manager should've addressed this without prompting
wanderingjock and HMPS like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

.................................................. ........

I can fully relate both to your temptation, and to your ultimate decision.

I guess there is always the option, when witnessing such unacceptable scenes, to raise it with a member of staff. Whether or not any good comes of that is of course a different matter.

One of the ironies of modern air travel is that, whilst standards have risen dramatically in terms of available facilities, the standard of behaviour by a small percentage of those making use of such facilities has not.

When you look at the overall picture, there is essentially little perceptible difference in the behaviour of people using lounges (whether that be CCR, First, or Business) and those awaiting their flights within the main concourse of the airport. You undoubtedly see good and bad in both ; the food & drink in the lounges just happens to be free, but they are no havens of exclusivity or refinement.

'andad likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
i did mention it.

no effect
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Surely during their walkabouts the servers and or manager should've addressed this without prompting
For the servers, I don't think they care to bother themselves for the pittance they are paid.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:41 am

I've only once commented to parents in the CCR (LHR) about the behaviour of their child (which was very similar to what's described above - loud, aggressive, destructive, with apparent nonchalance from the parents). I was also in two minds about it. In any case, the mother told me that their child was behaving in this way because he was on the spectrum. I know very little about autism spectrum disorder - about what is expected, permitted, mitigation techniques etc, but I felt pretty bad and apologized.

The ruckus continued, however, and I left the CCR just as another passenger was approaching the mother (and by the look on his face, he was going to ask her the same thing I did).
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
It's a shame there isn't at least some form of age restriction at the CCR to be honest, providing ofcourse there's a suitable alternative (GF for example).
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
It's a shame there isn't at least some form of age restriction at the CCR to be honest, providing ofcourse there's a suitable alternative (GF for example).
nothing wrong with children in any lounge per se. I don’t see why all children should be excluded from the CCR.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
In my experience, of the less well-behaved people in the CCR, whose behaviour I have witnessed first hand, the majority of the worst offenders has been adults. It's the same with passengers on a flight.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius

BUT what went wrong on TP run ? Just curious ......
DVT, mikeyfly and so3003 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
In my experience, of the less well-behaved people in the CCR, whose behaviour I have witnessed first hand, the majority of the worst offenders has been adults. It's the same with passengers on a flight.
Yes & that includes Parents who don’t give a Monkeys what their children get up to
so3003 and All She Wrote like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.