Search

How can I fly business all the way?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018 | 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum
How can I fly business all the way?

Hey all,

I have a crazy trip later this year (part work/part personal). Wondering if anyone can figure out how I can fly business class all the way without paying an arm and a leg? Google flights is forcing me to book the entire trip with separate tickets...

Itinerary is:
Oct 13: London-Tokyo
Oct 22: Tokyo-Seoul
Oct 27: Seoul-New York
Nov 3: New York-Hong Kong
Nov 11: Hong Kong-London

I'm fairly flexible on the dates for the long hauls and I do not have to start/end my journey in London...

Can anyone help??

Thank you!
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Try looking up LON-SEL/HKG-LON and SEL-NYC-HKG separately.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 11:57 am

Originally Posted by WonderPink
Hey all,

I have a crazy trip later this year (part work/part personal). Wondering if anyone can figure out how I can fly business class all the way without paying an arm and a leg? Google flights is forcing me to book the entire trip with separate tickets...

Itinerary is:
Oct 13: London-Tokyo
Oct 22: Tokyo-Seoul
Oct 27: Seoul-New York
Nov 3: New York-Hong Kong
Nov 11: Hong Kong-London

I'm fairly flexible on the dates for the long hauls and I do not have to start/end my journey in London...

Can anyone help??

Thank you!
Try OW round the world tickets, though the cost of your tickets greatly depends on your carrier and availability. But it should give you a head start of what to expect in terms of cost
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
15 Years on Site

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JALlover
Try OW round the world tickets, though the cost of your tickets greatly depends on your carrier and availability. But it should give you a head start of what to expect in terms of cost
Unfortunately RTW won't work here as the OP is effectively trying to go from Europe to the US via Asia both ways and RTW would not allow you to return on your steps like that.

Quite frankly, I do not think that it will be possible to book all this in J without it costing an arm or leg. Probably the closest thing the OP could do is to buy 1) LHR-HKG return, 2) HKG-JFK return, and 3) HKG-TYO-ICN-HKG (or replace HKG by TYO and vv but I suspect that will cost more). That will be expensive.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Unfortunately RTW won't work here as the OP is effectively trying to go from Europe to the US via Asia both ways and RTW would not allow you to return on your steps like that.
Yea, just saw that. Unless OP is flex in flying to HKG first before going to NYC, then that should work.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Since the RTW ticket has been mentioned, I should add that if you pick this option, you are looking at ~7-8k GBP for a ticket.

If you are flexible to do a round-the-world trip, then that'd work, but if you want to keep your exact itinerary, you can do:

Ticket 1, RTW: LON-TYO-ICN-HKG-(America)-LON
Ticket 2, Avios / Cash: HKG-NYC-HKG

Redemptions from HKG are nice because the taxes are lower because of the law there, I think. It'll take slightly longer for the last HKG-LON leg, but should be feasible nonetheless.

Alternatively, if you don't need to start/end in London, you can find whatever works best to get yourself to Hong Kong and then do a RTW as follows:

HKG-TYO-ICN-NYC-(Europe)-HKG
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:14 pm
Original Poster

What if I figured out the London-Tokyo ticket on my own and started the round the world ticket in Tokyo? Would that work? Can I start/stop in different cities (in the same continent with round the world tix?
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:19 pm

What if I figured out the London-Tokyo ticket on my own and started the round the world ticket in Tokyo? Would that work? Can I start/stop in different cities (in the same continent with round the world tix?
Yup, only catch for your itinerary is that you're going to have to go through Europe during one leg of your RTW ticket when going to or from New York. But if you live in Europe this may help for a quick break (you effectively have to go from a continent to another in the same direction every time, but there's not too many restrictions when traveling within a continent),

Last edited by thebigben; Aug 3, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:29 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I believe it only works if you fly from New York to Hong Kong via Europe (or maybe the Middle East or India), since you have to cross both oceans as part of a RTW and NYC-HKG is transpacific.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:32 pm

Yup, RTW ticket can start anywhere. And yes, you can start from and end in different cities. (But must be in the same country)

That means you would need to end your trip in Japan!
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Why does Google Flights not help me do this?!
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:37 pm

The RTW rules can be odd, I'd be surprised if Google flights helped there. You need to go on the OneWorld site to price it up.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:39 pm

You mean RTW ticket? Cause Google flights searches airline and online travel agencies only. And the Oneworld RTW tickets are a exclusive/special product provided by OW only.

If you want to use google flights for multiple flights, you can use their multi-city option, should work around the same
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 12:47 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think there's any way to do this for any kind of reasonable cost. Do you have a budget?
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 1:39 pm
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GGL; TK Elite (*A Gold); SAS Eurobonus Gold (Skyteam Elite Plus); Mucci des Puccis
Which is the work component, and what is the applicable travel policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.