Wiki Posts
Search

First First - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
First First - a few questions

Thanks for all the help previously provided by this foum which has helped us book our first First (Amex 2-4-1 redemption) to JFK (open jaw returning CW from YUL as no First on that route).We are planning on leaving the hotel.

We'll be flying out on BA173, 11:20 departure, which I'm assuming will be from either the B or C gates. What time would we need to leave the CCR. MMB states that boarding commences 1 hour before departure, but I'd rather spend more time in the CCR than sitting on the plane waiting for it to depart.
I've previously described reasons why we wont be able to arrive at the CCR very early in another thread. Curent plan is to leave the Sofitel at 9am and walk to the First Wing and straight through GF to the CCR for breakfast and a couple of glasses of LPGS (or a BA175). Assuming that we'll be in the CCR for around 9:30 (on a Saturday) is there likely to be a wait for a table in the dining area or would we be better hitting the buffet in GF and then going through to the CCR for a couple of drinks?
Of all the meals, I really enjoy a good English breakfast. I never have time for breakfast at home, so this is normally a treat for me when on holiday. I must admit that the photo's I've seen of the CCR breakfasts look small. Is it PC to ask for double sausage and bacon?
I'm hoping to be able to spend a good hour in the CCR (so leaving arond 10:30 for the 11:20 departure) - is this doable?
NB we're not interested in Spa treatments or shopping - so it will be just eat, drink, relax, drink some more, toilet, leave for the gate.

Having flown CW a few times we're used to being able to access Club Kitchen for snacks (crisps, chocolate, etc.) - is there an equivelnt for First or are these type of things available on request? Although given the amount of food with CCR breakfast folowed by Lunch and Afternoon Tea on board I'm not sure if we'll actually need anythign else.

The flight is scheduled to arrive at JFK at 14:05. I understand that there is no fast track, but that we should be first of the flight. Is there much other traffic in T7 at this time? What time should we expect to have cleared security and hitting the road? Our plans for that evening are based on the assumption that we should be in a cab by 16:00 and arriving at our hotel in Times Square by 17:00. Is this realistic?

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Leaving the CCR 40 minutes before departure should be fine so 10.30 will be a relaxed wander to the gate. 40 or 50 minutes in the CCR should be fine to get a full breakfast.
I've never needed to go searching for snacks in F - there are nuts offered after take off and a substantial meal with chocolates afterwards. I'm sure something else could be found for you if you do get hungry.
Timings at the New York end look fine as well assuming the flight is on time.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Stretch your legs and raid the Kitchen - or ping your call bell and ask the cabin crew to do it on your behalf
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Thank for the prompt response. I'm glad that our timings look about right. Really looking forward to this trip now.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:21 am

I find the chocolates to be a bit hit and miss. Remember to ask for them if they don't appear. And it's one box for the whole cabin

That said, I find CC are very willing to go and raid the CK if you ask for snacks.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:04 am

Similarly, I've always found that cabin crew were happy to go and fetch any of the normal CW items into First. If it's not something that's loaded exactly, then borrowing a couple for F passengers doesn't spoil anything.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Bakera, in the CCR you can have breakfast served almost anywhere; its not compulsory to eat in the 'dining area'.

Doc Copper
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Bakera, in the CCR you can have breakfast served almost anywhere; its not compulsory to eat in the 'dining area'.

Doc Copper
Thanks Doc - but we were looking forward to the resturant style service and tables in the official dining area.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:59 am

Hi you will find the CC very willing, I can’t eat nuts so they went off to find crisps for me instead.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:13 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think that is a bit optimistic to arrive at 2 PM and be in Times Square by 5 PM.

You have US customs to get through, baggage and traffic going into Manhattan. Probably closer to 6 PM by the time you are relaxing in your room in my humble opinion. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.