Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - SIN, BA or QF?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
You all make good points - I think I need to attempt to be sensible and not be swayed by stuff like more space, better food, the chauffeur drive etc etc. BA First at that price is a relative bargain
Well, nobody can argue with pleasure. I completely get that you are more excited at the idea of trying QF F than you are at doing "another" BA F which you probably know well already. I like the food on QF a lot more than on BA personally, but do know that many people complain that you don't get huge amounts of food. That's more than enough for me but I understand their point. I prefer the Champagne on QF too though wines are often better on BA. In terms of space, to be honest, the BA 388 is already pretty good on that front IMHO. QF is a different layout (angled but only 3 seats per row as opposed to 4 on BA) so it is mostly a different feeling. Chauffeur etc are nice but frankly, for £1,000 you can get your self a "free" cheap CW to the Middle East or occasionally the East coast US.

So again, F is fun/extravagant already in and by itself so if you will get more fun/excitement/anticipation by doing QF why not. I still do not think it is "worth it" in terms of difference in terms of the products etc and that was the question you asked, but whether it is worth the extra £1000 for you is an entirely different question which pertains to very different things than onboard product, comfort etc. and more to do with emotions and enjoyment.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Thanks for the feedback. It seemed really cheap to me too, last time I flew CW to Singapore it was £4.5k on BA, so a sub £4k First seems like the start of the sale! Definitely seems to be bookable via Expedia (odd that they are cheaper than the QF site):
Actually, I thought you were flying all the way to Australia. Sorry about the confusion. It's still really cheap even for terminating at SIN though!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I thought it would be one-way because it sounds ridiculously cheap for both BA and QF. I normally pay between £8k and £10k on any airline for F between Europe and Australia (unless using a GUF on BA).

Definitely take either of those fares if they are indeed bookable.
They are definitely bookable. A couple of weeks ago I saw BA11/12 return next Feb for £3.8k in F. I booked an hotel as well so only had to pay a deposit but the base airfare was as above.

Just to confirm, my trip is to SIN not AUS.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Save your money and go eat here (OMG): Ki-sho

You will need every penny you save especially if you start in on the top end sake (I did but wouldn't again).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by mjack99
Save your money and go eat here (OMG): Ki-sho

You will need every penny you save especially if you start in on the top end sake (I did but wouldn't again).
Not bad price if the food is really top notch. Is the food really good?

The menu looks pretty good, so I am kind of interested in going there during one of my SIN stopovers.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:15 am

So not meaning to sound full of myself but due to my rather liberal expense budget I have eaten at many a top notch Japanese restaurant (as well as other cuisines) in many parts of the world (including Japan). This place, is most certainly at the top with one or two others. Don't get me wrong, I still have much to explore but this one is highly memorable. Btw, we didn't take the menu we took omakase and of course that's where the cost can be unlimited because I take omakase to mean eat till you almost explode and since there are just 12 bar seats at this restaurant you get very personalised service (meaning a constant flow of creative dishes that are hard to resist).

Just to set the record straight, I eat 90% crap on my travels because really good restaurants are hard to find in many of the places I visit and even on my expense budget I couldn't afford to eat at places like this every night.

I will be very interested in your feedback if you do go.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:31 am

If it's top notch, SGD 450 for the most extensive Omakase dinner on the menu (as the menu on the link provided suggests) is actually rather reasonable for what it is and the work involved in preparing the dishes. I'll definitely go and try it sometime this year. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thankfully (?) I have a no-alcohol policy while travelling, so I don't have to worry about the price of Sake.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Thankfully (?) I have a no-alcohol policy while travelling, so I don't have to worry about the price of Sake.
You are a better man than I Gunga Din (I didn't look at the bill to be honest as one of my colleagues paid but I do think it was the sake that blew it out).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.