Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The ups and downs in the WT / WTP LH inflight service cuts - sorry adjustments!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ups and downs in the WT / WTP LH inflight service cuts - sorry adjustments!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022

In the last four years since "commuting" from Toronto to London 7-8 times a year, I've seen the demise of nibbles, the second meal etc etc. It's been interesting to see the eventual realisation by BA that their core customer base place value on the in flight experience as well as price. You only have to look at reviews for the LCCs where when people factor in bags, food, drinks and IFE - they realise they should have gone with a legacy carrier (for a lack of hassle if nothing else) . I can remember the trip where the tiny bag of pretzels was dropped (to save costs). Perhaps 10 cents a unit (plus the weight of carrying / and handling I accept) but the crew were seriously embarrassed and frequently encouraged PAX to complain.
One introduction which remains half baked with no decent explanation is the offering of sparkiing wine in PE before take off. Now I accept it's cheap fizz and it's warm and the quantity is not going to induce much of a haze, but it's only offered from LHR and not to LHR. I continue to ask for sparkling wine on boarding in YYZ to be told " we only do it from London - its a customs thing" to "its harder to do out of Toronto" types of excuses. When I point out it's perfectly managable in club and first, the crew usually give up excusing what appears to be cost driven. At Heathrow, I've see crew walk back from the Biz galley with the precious cargo of two bottles of prosecco which is poured at the back and brought forward to PE. Its a shame as both AC on the same route and QANTAS serve sparking wine in PE before take off with seconds. One savy crew, sneaked me one back from club which was nice but against the rules.
I wonder if there are other quirky service adjustments or inconsistency that others have come across
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I thought the long haul Y catering had been significantly increased? I've not travelled Y long haul for a few years, but I do read all the ups and downs on here !!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The are a couple of reasons why we don’t serve the sparking wine on return flights to London the most common one being because it is round tripped from London in non chilled container so wouldn’t be acceptable to offer at some destinations we are not able to serve alcohol, BA could get around the first reason if they just loaded the sparking wine in a chillable container but I’m afraid they don’t want to spend the money.
With regards to any catering reductions, all reductions and been reinstated.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And it is only a tiny secret that WTP is being relaunched or refreshed in the next few months, focus being catering and drink options. I did hear a rumour that the previous CW blankets are being carefully stored.....
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And it is only a tiny secret that WTP is being relaunched or refreshed in the next few months, focus being catering and drink options. I did hear a rumour that the previous CW blankets are being carefully stored.....
That's good to know, I am booked WT+ to SEA in November so hopefully will benefit. Last year's trip I was op-up'ed in both directions but i can't imagine that happening again.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is certainly good news, and we need more of those, for sure.

But can the old CW blankets help keeping the bubbly cool during YYZ turnover?
sanfran767 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Last year, I'd agree with the OP: the cuts were really beginning to show. But the reinstatement of snacks. second meal etc have been very welcome recently (we are so well trained: take something away, then bring it back and we're happier than the initial status quo!). I'm teetotal, so lack of poor quality fizz has not personally bothered me, but I do see the irritation in lack of consistent service standard to/ from London.

tb
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
On my WT+ flight from JFK to LHR on Friday evening, I was offered sparkling wine. I declined and chose water instead as I was desperate for some sleep, but the offer was there.

No idea if the wine was chilled, however!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
As a regular on the same route travelling in WT, WT+ and (occasionally) CW I'm in sympathy with your post! It's been good to see things restored to an acceptable level in WT of late, though breakfast remains a very weak point in both WT and WT+.

I just hope that any improvements to WT+ don't take two years to roll out...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
But they manage it in CW and F and I hear those sparkling drinks are round-tripped from LHR too? As you say, it seems they don’t want to spend the £ on cooling in WT+ which seems bonkers as it creates uneven service levels between routes, and hence disappointment.
NeedstoFly likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I thought the long haul Y catering had been significantly increased? I've not travelled Y long haul for a few years, but I do read all the ups and downs on here !!
This was quite cheeky of BA. They restored the service they had previously + ice creams (and graze boxes on the longest flights). We're celebrating about a mini magnum and a few nuts?

I look forward to the revamp of WTP later this year. I find it's often the best value cabin, but they do skimp on key elements like the 2nd meal service and pre-departure drinks.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I haven't had any fizz in WT+ exUS for a long time. The customs argument doesn't hold water (so to speak) since CW/F has it served. The chilled element is a bit bonkers too since many of us, although not ideal, would accept room-temperature fizz :-( .

On a UK-US trip the other week I did venture down the back for a natter with the CC on another matter - they topped me up with some G&T, but did have to apologise when they had to strain the dregs of the ice container since they only get loaded with a certain amount - which clearly was insufficient for the trip.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Thanks for the insights. I agree that if they can crack it in club / first (and given the bottles at LHR are loaded into the club galley I think) then WTP is not difficult to sort!

A couple of my YYZ to LHR trips are on Avios in Club/ First, then one a year on business where I travel WTP (and pay the difference myself from WT,) and 3 or 4 i pay for myself. (the peril of an aging mother who needs to see her baby!!) These WTP trips at 180 tps a return trip, maintain me silver. On a daytime flight, with two heavy bags, club check in, fast track, biz lounge and priority boarding means I don't begrudge walking past biz and we all face forward too! (and according to other sites - the width is the same as biz)
I do hope that WTP gets a make over. It's usually good, but there is no way the main meal is a biz level entree! The most irritating aspect (which others in thread agree with) is the morphing into WT by the middle of the flight. I flew AC to Sydney earlier this year YYZ - YVR - SYD and again, after the first meal - you're back in economy service wise though in a 16 hour flight 2-4-2 in PE was a zillion times better than Economy in a densified 10 across 777-200LR.
A number of airlines state that PE is a growth area for them as demonstrated by the densified BA LGW 777 fleet doubling the number of seats. A few extra quid, some consistency and some thought around the entire flight and not the first two hours - would make PE really good!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by CKBA
I haven't had any fizz in WT+ exUS for a long time. The customs argument doesn't hold water (so to speak) since CW/F has it served.
BA do not have dispensation to open liquor bars on the ground at any North American station, HKG, JNB, CPT or SIN.

In the above cases, the only alcohol that can be served on the ground is from the duty paid bottles that have been loaded by the caterers in the relevant galleys specifically for that purpose. This information was sent to all BA cabin crew via an internal messaging system as a reminder recently.

Now, what happens in reality depends on whether the crew on the day are aware of this information or not and either decide to comply with, or ignore it.

The other issue is that the catering companies either don’t load enough duty-paid champagne/sparkling, or don’t load it at all - leaving the crew with a choice of breaking the law and serving alcohol which the airline has not paid duty on (and risking a huge fine), or complying with the requirements and potentially irritating a large number of premium customers.

This probably leads to some of the inconsistency we are seeing from time to time.

DeathSlam and NeedstoFly like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. However, they open bottles of bubbly for club and first and as a bystander - I assume they comply with the rules and the law. My point is that if they are legally loading Champagne for First and Biz, 2 more bottles of cheap prosecco in the same duty paid cart should be easy - but it's not apparently! I would understand if there was a law about serving warm and cheap prosecco on the ground or in the air- but alas, despite the French and Italian factions lobbying for and against - it is yet to gain traction.
And as a PS - I've spelt prosecco correctly (IMHO and confirmed by Dr Google) - and so if it's wrong - I apologise !!)
markle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.