Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell 767s. Thanks for the memories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Farewell 767s. Thanks for the memories

I’m sure I am not the only one saddened by the passing of G-BNWA and the impending demise her 6 sisters.

I for one always sought out these lovely old girls when the alternative was a boring single aisle.

Row 27 was always the row of choice, but failing that, the leather seats up to row 18 never disappointed.

With the slow withdrawal of the 747s as well, flying just seems to be losing its zing.

Give me these noisy, rattling old rust buckets any day over the boring modern flying tubes.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:53 pm

Try a Yak 40 if you want an authentic flying experience.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

Here is nwa final touchdown into st Athans last week

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tim_the_Pilot/status/1019577798955069440/video/1

nwb final is 27th July
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I’ve just had a flight in October changed to a 767- I hope it sticks!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I know exactly what you mean. I had a Yak 40 from Tashkent to Samarkand. It looked a bit aged but I thought it looked OK, three turbofan engines at the rear, so I thought this won't take long.

We were on the runway for seemingly ages, eventually became aware we had actually lifted off rather than felt it, we climbed ever so slowly for a long time. There was no feeling of being pushed back in your seat for sure. So a little over 1 hour later we safely landed at Samarkand and I thought it was much further than I thought.

Three days later, flew back to Tashkent on an Antonov 24 turboprop and I thought this might take a while longer. 45 minutes later we were there.... I was confused why the Yak 40 took so long.

So I spoke to a colleague who lived in Tashkent about this anomaly. The reply was that it was likely that only one of the three engines was used on the Yak 40 either due to spare parts shortage or fuel saving. While I find this a little hard to believe I can't deny that 1 hour and 5 minutes for a 160 mile flight was a long time for a short distance, so who knows - maybe he was bang on correct.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I'd vote for a Beaver or an Otter on floats.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Of late, I've been flying these every two weeks on BA902 to FRA. I love the fact that boarding is through door 2 and you turn left to get to CE. A far more pleasant experience than seeing people piling into an A321.
KeaneJohn and cwagsg like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having done a lot of IST on these things, happy to see them go. Unreliable, the risk of a disco, flooding loos, a landing that feels more like a collision with the runway and the poorest CE seating arrangement of the LHR short haul fleet. It’s only the most recent iteration of CE seats on the Airbus that has made the 767 looking vaguely appealing.

Diver Boy and final_call like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:33 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I love the 767s on the SH network - such a feeling of space compared to the A32X series.

BA tried to offload some of the 767 fleet 10-15 years ago in conjunction with BAE Systems as they were bid for the future RAF airborne refuelling fleet (the contract went to Airbus and the A330). BAE at Filton would have done the refurb and conversion work, following on from the conversion they did of the former BA VC10 fleet to RAF tankers in the 1980s and 90s.

There were also attempts after 9/11 to sell part of the fleet to other operators but BA's 767s had one huge disadvantage when it comes to finding another home. Apart from 3 767s for China, the 30 or so BA frames are the only ones ever ordered with RR engines, all others were PW or GE powered. This virtually eliminated the second-hand market for them and in the end, some of the fleet were leased to QF for domestic operations. The RR power also meant BA could not retrofit the winglets that became available some years ago which apparently offers a reasonable fuel efficiency improvement over non-winglet frames.

Sad to see them all eventually go
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Of late, I've been flying these every two weeks on BA902 to FRA. I love the fact that boarding is through door 2 and you turn left to get to CE. A far more pleasant experience than seeing people piling into an A321.
Besides from the left turn, what I also like are seats 1D/F with space. I would welcome the change, being for something better, the A32N without any console table over the middle seats, the thinnest seat in air and lesser space in general, might possibly satisfy the eye being fresher, but otherwise a step in the wrong direction

Also, all CC serving Club are usually fond of these old birds, their working space in the galley is by far larger than other SH aircraft.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:22 am

BA tried to offload some of the 767 fleet 10-15 years ago in conjunction with BAE Systems as they were bid for the future RAF airborne refuelling fleet (the contract went to Airbus and the A330). BAE at Filton would have done the refurb and conversion work, following on from the conversion they did of the former BA VC10 fleet to RAF tankers in the 1980s and 90s.
The conversion and subsequent support work was planned to be at BAe Woodford. A large new hangar was proposed to be built on the south side of the airfield.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 24, 2018 at 5:12 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:48 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by wythy
The conversion and subsequent support work was planned to be at BAe Woodford. A large new hangar was proposed to be built on the south side of the airfield.
Yes I believe you are right there, apologies. Filton was originally to be the base because as I said, there was the expertise from the VC10 tanker conversion work done there. I worked at the time for the provider of the aerial refueling systems and we had quite a few meetings up at Filton regarding the bid. From memory (is now some 20 or so years ago), Filton had alot of capacity with the ending of the F-111 support contract earlier in the decade and then after 9/11 they pulled out of the A300/310 pax-to-freighter conversion market too. Therefore Filton had both the tanker conversion expertise and also wide-body maintenance and conversion experience.

I can't remember why the proposed site changed from Filton to Woodford at some point - possibly when BAE decided to also fully exit from the pax plane market after 9/11 and the 146 project and twin-engine follow-on was also canned. This had moved from Hatfield to Woodford some years before so no doubt freed up capacity at Woodford.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 24, 2018 at 5:12 pm Reason: Repair quotation frames
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Having done a lot of IST on these things, happy to see them go. Unreliable, the risk of a disco, flooding loos, a landing that feels more like a collision with the runway and the poorest CE seating arrangement of the LHR short haul fleet. It’s only the most recent iteration of CE seats on the Airbus that has made the 767 looking vaguely appealing.

I loved them - even more when they were refurbished a few years ago. I liked the two by two seating and "Big Aircraft" feel.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Going to miss those RB211s spooling up. Always love the whining tone of them and the sudden burst of power.
Prospero and Petrus like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wb1969
Going to miss those RB211s spooling up. Always love the whining tone of them and the sudden burst of power.
Unlike a few others I am not really a 767 fan. However, the one thing I do like is the engine sounds - partly because it is the same RB211 as on the 747 which I dearly love. Sadly one day that soundtrack will be no more, but for now I can still enjoy it
Prospero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.