Wiki Posts
Search

No Exit lights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
No Exit lights

The flight from Miami yesterday, upper deck, the exit lights didn't illuminate leaving us in a rather eerie cabin lit only by the seat belt and no smoking signs.

It surprises me that this happened as I assumed it was an automated part of a pre-check (or some such thing)?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
On the Airbus at least, they go out as soon as the gear is retracted. And illuminate once its extended again.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:47 am

I'm assuming this is the 747? I don't work on that, but if it's anything like the 767, you'd only see the exit signs come on in an emergency. On the Airbus, they're on whenever the wheels are down.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:50 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
Also have noticed on the Airbus that the illuminated seat row number in the overhead goes out as soon as the last cabin door is closed - always nice to see if you still have an empty seat beside you :-)

Last edited by Bat 21; Jul 20, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Yep 747...so they are not on during take-off and landing? That is new to me and to the cabin crew who were also surprised (but they were pretty green...no disrespect intended as they were wonderful).

The cabin was really dark and I thought it was the lack of exit lights causing that. But maybe it was something else.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:21 pm

On the 747 and the 777/787 (and assume all other Boeing aircraft), the exit lights will only illuminate in the activation of the emergency lighting.
On the 320 and the 380 (and assume all other Airbus aircraft) exit lights illuminate whenever the landing gear is lowered.
So, what the the OP experienced is normal and the fact the crew were unaware of this is likely due to the confusion between Airbus and Boeing frames, which could be forgiven for new crewmembers.

Last edited by MFCC; Jul 20, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Got it thanks. Never noticed this difference before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.