Wiki Posts
Search

BA or AA to JFK at the moment?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BA or AA to JFK at the moment?

Is there any chance of getting upgraded on AA as BA Gold or will it only happen on BA?

AA economy flights to New York in September are extremely cheaper than BA. Never been on AA, and given the 1st lounge situation at Term 7 at the moment, is it time to choose AA?

Earlier this year I was upgraded to Premium on BA going out and Club coming back.

Thanks, in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crikey I wouldn't book any Y seat and think I'm in with a chance of upgrade. I'd probably exLHR take AA for the T3 lounges, decent on board product, wifi guarantee rather than slim chance, decent IFE rather than risk aircraft swap and ropey IFE..
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mike, I never expect upgrades and am happy to go Y as all I'm doing is going for a cheap trip to watch some baseball. I've had a good run of upgrades for some reason (hasn't worked on lottery wins though) but was just wondering if it only occurs on BA and wouldn't on a One World partner.

But if travelling in Y, sounds like AA is OK. I agree on T3 lounges. In there next week for a nice change from T5 all the time.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
AA on their 77W's will be 3-4-3 in economy, which is a lot more squashed than either of the BA configs (777 is 3-3-3 or 747 3-4-3 with a wider fuselage).
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I would avoid AA due to the cramped seating. That also applies to the T8 Flagship Lounge.

Does the cheap AA price also cover AA*BA codeshares?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Assuming there's space, won't you still get a free upgrade to MCE on AA? The extra legroom must be the biggest asset over any standard Y seat.

Coming back from the US, you'd also need to balance the loss of EC261 protection.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
OP says he is BA GCH which means OWE which means free access to the first two rows of main cabin extra which is 2-4-2 and actually far less cramped than BA seating.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Assuming there's space, won't you still get a free upgrade to MCE on AA? The extra legroom must be the biggest asset over any standard Y seat.
I believe since AA switched to 10 abreast in economy MCE seats are pretty much the same as BA's WT seats expect for exit rows.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I believe since AA switched to 10 abreast in economy MCE seats are pretty much the same as BA's WT seats expect for exit rows.
I may well be mistaken but if I understand it correctly, I think rows 20 and 21 are 2-4-2 like W. There was some question at first at to whether this could be part of W but my understanding is that only rows 18 and 19 are. It is only from row 22 onwards that the seating is indeed 3-4-3.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think rows 20 and 21 are 2-4-2 like W.
You're right - rows 20 and 21 are 8 abreast (but not PE seats). however, the configuration is only on B77W (currently only 1 flight a day). B772s have 9 abreast in MCE and 10 abreast in economy.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
You're right - rows 20 and 21 are 8 abreast (but not PE seats). however, the configuration is only on B77W (currently only 1 flight a day). B772s have 9 abreast in MCE and 10 abreast in economy.
Yes, but as you point out, 772s are not a problem - with them, all MCE seats are actually a lot roomier than on BA with same 9 across but much more generous legroom so I thought your worry was more about the 77W (in which indeed, after row 21, you are stuck in 10 across, so I'd personally check the seat map before booking to make sure rows 20 or 21 are still free!)
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
AA on their 77W's will be 3-4-3 in economy, which is a lot more squashed than either of the BA configs (777 is 3-3-3 or 747 3-4-3 with a wider fuselage).
I don't know anything about seat configurations on various planes, but the BA 747 I recently took LHR - PHL was the most cramped plane I've ever been on for international. In every way. I've been much more comfortable (a relative term in this discussion) doing AA transatlantic. YMMV.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by RAAng
I don't know anything about seat configurations on various planes, but the BA 747 I recently took LHR - PHL was the most cramped plane I've ever been on for international. In every way. I've been much more comfortable (a relative term in this discussion) doing AA transatlantic. YMMV.
Wait till you try BA's 788 (or even though I have not, in all likelihood their new 10 across 772s).
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I’m quite happy to travel AA LHR-JFK-LHR in Y as a Silver.
Free MCE seating (which now includes free spirits) T3 lounges and Flagship lounge at T8.
The downside is no EC261 protection. That isn’t a problem for me as I have plenty of family I could land on if there were IRROPS.
I am doing this journey in September !
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
If the price was the same I'd go AA for sure. If it is actually cheaper to go AA then there should be no discussion in my view.

Regarding pricing, shouldn't it be the same regardless of BA/AA metal (availability notwithstanding)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.