Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British airways oversized baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

British airways oversized baggage

Hi there. I would like if someone can help me clear up some info about ba's oversized baggage policy. Their website says 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in) which totals 81 inches, in contrast to most airlines that measure in 62 total linear inches. So if I'm checking a keyboard that is under the weight limit, but is 80 inches total, when combining W + L + H. However it isn't 35. x 29.5 etc. But when adding it all up it's less than 81. Will they charge me an oversized fee? Also, website says you can "increase your baggage allowance" by either paying an overweight fee or taking Larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in), but States nothing about a fee; their website doesn't seem to ever mention anything about an oversized baggage fee. If someone has experience checking in musical instruments or other odd size baggage or knows what the policy is I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by levibrod; Jul 19, 2018 at 11:22 pm
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I dont know the absolute answer for this but check in special baggage... musical instruments

I often travel with my bike in its case and the case measures 114 x 94 x 36 cm
never an issue, I just have to deliver it to the oversize baggage desk after it has been tagged at normal check-in.

I never have to pay oversize baggage, but if I did not have 2 pieces of baggage for the trip or the correct weight allowance I would have to pay extra but only for the overweight and over piece count.

I hope this helps

SB
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Did you check for special baggage? There are different sizes for music instruments Surfboards. Etc. I brought a printer replacement part along that I put in a ski bag. 7feet long. Never had any problems with ba anywhere
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

This is the only semi useful info they have on musical instruments. "If your musical instrument in its case is larger than 80 x 30 x 25cm (31 x 11 x 10in):
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by levibrod
This is the only semi useful info they have on musical instruments. "If your musical instrument in its case is larger than 80 x 30 x 25cm (31 x 11 x 10in):
well unless you find someone else on here who travels with your keyboard... you will probably only get semi useful answers :-)

I was just stating this so you know.. they have different dimensions for different things.. and usually dont check.. and are usually very generous.. just my experience
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
lso, website says you can "increase your baggage allowance" by either paying an overweight fee or taking Larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in), but States nothing about a fee; their website doesn't seem to ever mention anything about an oversized baggage fee.
AIUI, that's because there isn't currently an oversized baggage fee. IIRC, the website used to be more explicit about this.

I also believe that the size limits apply to each dimension, ie 200 x 60 x 50 will be oversized, even though 200+60+50=310 is less than 190+75+65=330.

Last edited by Globaliser; Jul 20, 2018 at 7:00 am Reason: Correcting fat-fingered typing of numbers which therefore didn't add up.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I often travel with multiple surfboard on BA, and have never had any real issue other than staff having to double check boards were allowed.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

So I guess I'll be fine, since the keyboard measures 127 x 53 x 22 (50 x 21 x 9 inches), which, when totaled is less than their standard maximum of 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in). but then there's a section about increasing your allowance and that you can take up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in). So if there's no charge to take a Larger item that size, then they should just say at the outset that that is the maximum to avoid confusion. Because now it looks like there's 2 maximums but on the other hand they don't mention anything about a fee for the second maximum. (I specifically booked on BA because their baggage policy seems generous.)
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if there's no charge to take a Larger item that size, then they should just say at the outset that that is the maximum to avoid confusion. Because now it looks like there's 2 maximums but on the other hand they don't mention anything about a fee for the second maximum.
I've never paid much attention to this, but my hazy recollection is that there used to be an oversize fee - hence my use of the word "currently" - and then (as now) if you bust the larger maximum then the item wouldn't be accepted at all. It's possible that the two sets of measurements have been left on the website because it's thought to encourage people to keep within the normal maximum size if they can. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the maximum for what can be automatically handled, so that anything bigger is going to need special routing and handling, perhaps with consequently increased risks of delay and mishandling. But, of course, it could easily have been laziness, sloppiness or oversight.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Makes sense to discourage people to check in overly large items. Thanks for all your replies!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:40 am

I am trying to find out the maximum dimensions for oversized baggage.

I spoke to BA today and they insisted to me that the 190 x 75 x 65cm size relates to sporting and musical equipment. When I asked if this was the oversized baggage limit, he repeatedly said no and it is only for sports/musical equipment. He went as far to say that they would open the box to make sure there is sports or music equipment inside.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hk291
I am trying to find out the maximum dimensions for oversized baggage.

I spoke to BA today and they insisted to me that the 190 x 75 x 65cm size relates to sporting and musical equipment. When I asked if this was the oversized baggage limit, he repeatedly said no and it is only for sports/musical equipment. He went as far to say that they would open the box to make sure there is sports or music equipment inside.
In terms of size limits for a normal checked bag vs oversized, this is the limit:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

A checked bag can be up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in), including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels.
And for oversized - I don't think it matters what it is:

You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg. Any items larger than the above dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
Some more information specifically on Sporting goods and musical instruments here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...al-instruments

But it states the same again:

You can take larger sporting items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as checked baggage so long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. Any items larger than these dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
RobHD likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:47 am

Thank you. I didn't think it mattered what it was either but he insisted it must be sports/musical equipment which I was surprised to hear.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The baggage does have to go around some corners: an aircraft is basically a long box with a small hole in one side. So you can imagine a thin object can be longer and still fitting round the corner while a fatter object has to be shorter to fit around the corner.

That's part of why the dimensions are specified in the way of a sum-of-dimensions, to avoid you checking in an object that is both long, wide, and deep and cannot be loaded round the corners into the aircraft hold.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatlander
That's part of why the dimensions are specified in the way of a sum-of-dimensions ...
I'm not sure that BA uses a sum-of-dimensions approach, though. Those website pages don't say so or suggest it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.