Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching terminals in LHR for lounge use

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Drifting a little off-topic, but given how welcoming CX is to oneworld Emeralds at its lounges in HKG I would be surprised if they impose blanket restrictions on an outstation lounge. The risk of going through the aggravation of extra security checks specifically to visit the CX F lounge in T3 is that they will declare a short-term capacity issue and choose to give priority to their own J/F/Marco Polo elite level customers at just the moment you want to enter. It's rare but not completely unheard of.
Cathay also makes money off each person using the lounge flying with another OW carrier. Not sure how the person came up with the notion CX would start restricting entry... not going to happen.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
If you had loads of time at Heathrow terminal 5 is it possible to transfer to terminal 3 and use the lounges there. I am talking in excess of 7 hours. However, my first class flight is from T5 and I would enter security through T5 . Can you use the spend over £250 shopping option at T3?
So I am still none the wiser on this.

A few Finn air passengers seem to transfer from T3 to T4 just to use the qatar lounge, but apparently there is absolutely no chance of doing this from T5 to either T4 or T3 ?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
So I am still none the wiser on this.

A few Finn air passengers seem to transfer from T3 to T4 just to use the qatar lounge, but apparently there is absolutely no chance of doing this from T5 to either T4 or T3 ?
See if there's anything in this thread that answers your questions:

T3 Access with T5 boarding pass
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by Misco60
See if there's anything in this thread that answers your questions:

T3 Access with T5 boarding pass
cheers, I think I will give it a go. I know it's a bit of a faff but due to catching up with a friend I have a long time at Heathrow. Plus I love airports.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:04 pm

Any COVID era experiences?

Hello, now that t3 lounges are reopened, anyone have experience if the transfer still works the same way as prior to COVID? Going to have a long layover arriving and departing terminal 5 international, would love to see Cathay first lounge even if it involves a couple hours of transfers. (I know lots of people think it’s not worth the time, but this is probably my only year as one world emerald, probably my only chance to ever check it out.. and who knows with how Cathay is doing if they will ever return to their precovid state). Thank you!
Aldoman likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xplays
Hello, now that t3 lounges are reopened, anyone have experience if the transfer still works the same way as prior to COVID? Going to have a long layover arriving and departing terminal 5 international, would love to see Cathay first lounge even if it involves a couple hours of transfers. (I know lots of people think it’s not worth the time, but this is probably my only year as one world emerald, probably my only chance to ever check it out.. and who knows with how Cathay is doing if they will ever return to their precovid state). Thank you!
Yes it all works the same as pre covid. If arriving in to T5 just follow the signs for flight connections T2/3/4 and get the T3 airside bus. Then when you want to come back get the airside bus back to T5. You will end up going through security at T3 and when you come back to T5 so there is some extra hassle there too. Of course make sure you leave T3 with plenty of time to get back before your flight.
The _Banking_Scot and Aldoman like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes it all works the same as pre covid. If arriving in to T5 just follow the signs for flight connections T2/3/4 and get the T3 airside bus. Then when you want to come back get the airside bus back to T5. You will end up going through security at T3 and when you come back to T5 so there is some extra hassle there too. Of course make sure you leave T3 with plenty of time to get back before your flight.
The CX First Lounge isn't all that much at LHR, at least compared to HKG ones, but I'd say a reasonable step up from BA lounges. So if you're willing to put in the time and effort, great. Does anyone know if sit down dining is still there or is that restricted meanwhile passenger numbers are still a bit lower?

Also the Qantas lounge is worth a visit, especially if you like gin and squid
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That sounds like a truly disgusting cocktail.
rapidex and TTmex like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That sounds like a truly disgusting cocktail.
"Gin Calamari" has a nice ring to it. Shaken, not stirred
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes it all works the same as pre covid.
Thank you so much!
TTmex likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by TTmex
The CX First Lounge isn't all that much at LHR, at least compared to HKG ones, but I'd say a reasonable step up from BA lounges. So if you're willing to put in the time and effort, great. Does anyone know if sit down dining is still there or is that restricted meanwhile passenger numbers are still a bit lower?

Also the Qantas lounge is worth a visit, especially if you like gin and squid

Hi,

I belive ( per the lounge thread) that sit down dining in CX F lounge is still there ( menu is more limited than pre covid though)

Regards

TBS
TTmex likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), BA Gold (OWE)
Change to rules?

Another data point which shows a possible change in allowances.

I had a 6 hour layover at LHR this past weekend, arriving on QR in Terminal 5 and connecting on BA to INV from Terminal 5. Given the long layover, I was keen to spend some time in the CX and QF lounges in T3. Via Flight Connections, I arrived into T3 by bus, and attempted to go through the transfer security to enter the terminal. When my boarding pass was scanned, it gave an error message to the lady scanning, saying that I was departing from T5. I explained that I wanted to visit the lounges in T3 and that I understood that I would have to reclear security for T5 to catch my flight. She wasn't aware of this being possible so she phoned her supervisor, who phoned the terminal manager who denied me access to the terminal. I ended up eventually speaking to the supervisor, explaining that I had done this before without trouble, but she insisted that the terminal manager said this was not allowed, apparently due to too many people doing this and subsequently missing their flights. She said it was essentially a BA issue that because my BP is for T5, there would be nobody taking "responsibility" for my presence in T3.

I further spoke to the BA agent at the transfer desk to try to see if there was some way to get in, and he further spoke with the terminal manager and security staff, and again said that it was not possible, and this change had been put into place pre-Covid and any time that myself or others have been allowed through was due to a lenient terminal manager.

As there is conflicting information from my previous experiences and others on here compared to what I had on Sunday, I asked who I could write to determine what the actual rules are regarding access. The security staff said it was a BA issue and to write them, and the BA staff said it was a security issue so I'd have to write Heathrow itself.

Does anyone have any further info or who is actually correct to contact? Or whether the rules have changed or if we have just been lucky over the past few years switching terminals?

I ended up spending my layover in the BA First lounge, which is heaps better than the last time I visited there about a year ago, with some tasty cahmpagne, so all was not lost.
Aldoman likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by RudderDucky
Another data point which shows a possible change in allowances.

I had a 6 hour layover at LHR this past weekend, arriving on QR in Terminal 5 and connecting on BA to INV from Terminal 5. Given the long layover, I was keen to spend some time in the CX and QF lounges in T3. Via Flight Connections, I arrived into T3 by bus, and attempted to go through the transfer security to enter the terminal. When my boarding pass was scanned, it gave an error message to the lady scanning, saying that I was departing from T5. I explained that I wanted to visit the lounges in T3 and that I understood that I would have to reclear security for T5 to catch my flight. She wasn't aware of this being possible so she phoned her supervisor, who phoned the terminal manager who denied me access to the terminal. I ended up eventually speaking to the supervisor, explaining that I had done this before without trouble, but she insisted that the terminal manager said this was not allowed, apparently due to too many people doing this and subsequently missing their flights. She said it was essentially a BA issue that because my BP is for T5, there would be nobody taking "responsibility" for my presence in T3.

I further spoke to the BA agent at the transfer desk to try to see if there was some way to get in, and he further spoke with the terminal manager and security staff, and again said that it was not possible, and this change had been put into place pre-Covid and any time that myself or others have been allowed through was due to a lenient terminal manager.

As there is conflicting information from my previous experiences and others on here compared to what I had on Sunday, I asked who I could write to determine what the actual rules are regarding access. The security staff said it was a BA issue and to write them, and the BA staff said it was a security issue so I'd have to write Heathrow itself.

Does anyone have any further info or who is actually correct to contact? Or whether the rules have changed or if we have just been lucky over the past few years switching terminals?

I ended up spending my layover in the BA First lounge, which is heaps better than the last time I visited there about a year ago, with some tasty cahmpagne, so all was not lost.
Well I went through last Friday and at the boarding pass scanner in T3, was flagged for being a T5 departure but I explained that I was aware of the situation and was let through subsequently.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:00 pm

I could be wrong, and if so I’ll be corrected pretty quickly… but I didn’t think it was ever possible for domestic departures, as T3 isn’t set up to handle them, only international ones.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well yes there aren’t any domestic departures in T3 and no biometrics equipment - but since you aren’t departing from T3 I don’t see it matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.