Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gold security fast track MAN?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by booogle
I'm quite surprised by all the comments about Man t3 fast track security. I use this about twice a month at different times of the day and have done for several years. There's always multiple slots for FT and I'm generally through within 5 mins or so. On occasions when I've not used FT, it's sometimes been a long snaking queue and more like 20 minutes or so. Only time I has held up at FT security was when I stupidly forgot about the liquids in my bag.
Same here. Doing T1 and T3 regularly, it's generally less that 5 minutes. Occasionally up to 10. I thought it was just me being lucky after hearing all the negative comments on here.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: BA GGL
Longest I've ever taken in MAN fast track was 30 minutes, mostly due to the MAN airport staff holding back fast track "to help clear the queue". In non-fast track when flying Flybe before it has taken me just shy of an hour from the top of the ramp.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The staff at Manchester security are consistently the rudest I've experienced across a lot of flying, including a lot in the USA. As has been said above, the fast track line is allowed to queue back substantially "to allow the regular queue to move", and the staff doing secondary seemingly just do whichever customer shouts loudest first, regardless of order.
After 2 (separate) horrific experiences being yelled at and belittled by their staff last year, I've vowed never to fly from Manchester again.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by wiluk
The staff at Manchester security are consistently the rudest I've experienced across a lot of flying, including a lot in the USA. As has been said above, the fast track line is allowed to queue back substantially "to allow the regular queue to move", and the staff doing secondary seemingly just do whichever customer shouts loudest first, regardless of order.
After 2 (separate) horrific experiences being yelled at and belittled by their staff last year, I've vowed never to fly from Manchester again.
Bitter experience has taught me how to be a good boy at MAN. I take everything out that could cause offence, or has caused secondary searches before. That includes wires, chocolates, effervescent vitamin tablets, electric toothbrush and keys. I use enough trays to lay stuff out without overlap (another Manchester sin).

Still i got caught yesterday. Reason? The tube holding those pesky vitamin tablets was at the wrong angle in the tray, and it looked suspicious.

Fortunately a quiet time on a quiet day: and i had plenty of time. But on a bad day that could have been a 30 minute penalty.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Same here. Doing T1 and T3 regularly, it's generally less that 5 minutes. Occasionally up to 10. I thought it was just me being lucky after hearing all the negative comments on here.
Yes, my experiences at MAN in recent times have been rather good too. Typically 8 to 15 minutes from drop off to lounge. I’ve even seen some smiling faces and the FT bottleneck mentioned above has been well managed. I don’t think there have been more than 3 people in front of me, sometimes straight in. It’s been a much better FT experience at MAN than that experienced at FT flight connections at LHR, the FT lane(s) there are almost always 10-20+ deep.

In recent months I’ve not had bags sent to secondary screening save for one random selection for explosives swabbing. I only remove my iPad and liquids from my carry on, everything else (including cables, power-packs and phones) remain in the bag.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Yes, my experiences at MAN in recent times have been rather good too. Typically 8 to 15 minutes from drop off to lounge. I’ve even seen some smiling faces and the FT bottleneck mentioned above has been well managed. I don’t think there have been more than 3 people in front of me, sometimes straight in. It’s been a much better FT experience at MAN than that experienced at FT flight connections at LHR, the FT lane(s) there are almost always 10-20+ deep.

In recent months I’ve not had bags sent to secondary screening save for one random selection for explosives swabbing. I only remove my iPad and liquids from my carry on, everything else (including cables, power-packs and phones) remain in the bag.
I’d agree, my experience last Sunday was straight through on Fast-Track, a happy pleansant Security person helping me get my trays into the queue, straight out of the machine and away circa 6 minutes (and that wa smainly from me unpacking laptop, iPad, belt, toiletries and emptying my pockets).

As always the BA lounge staff were lovely and an excellent flight on the 321 followed with a nice chat the CC during take off (exit row seat opposite jump seat).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Yes, my experiences at MAN in recent times have been rather good too. ....

....In recent months I’ve not had bags sent to secondary screening save for one random selection for explosives swabbing. I only remove my iPad and liquids from my carry on, everything else (including cables, power-packs and phones) remain in the bag.
Originally Posted by navylad

I’d agree, my experience last Sunday was straight through on Fast-Track,...
Your experience sounds promising for T3 users. Can't say I much enjoy being pushed in directly in front of a long-suffering queue of non-status/economy-class passengers: but it's a sensitivity I can get over.

Sadly, I was wearing my Senatorial robes, so it was a T1 experience. Which, for me has always been difficult.
There the merged priority lane + the something else lane often results in an unhappy mix of frequent travellers, holidaymakers and wheelchairs. And the remote inspectors of baggage images seem particularly keen.

Common wisdom has it down to the cock-up with a pipe bomb. Which terminal was that little farce played out in?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
. Which terminal was that little farce played out in?
Ryanair to Bergamo, so Terminal 3. However the context was multiple failures of the DfT audits and test runs before and after that particular episode, which does mean that the "if in doubt" mindset is well entrenched.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
What I would add is that whilst fast track for departure is good, my last arrival experience at MAN T3 was awful - probably close to a 100m queue for immigration.

They do of course now offer paid fast track for that too - pity it's not paying for more border force agents.

T
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by toothy
What I would add is that whilst fast track for departure is good, my last arrival experience at MAN T3 was awful - probably close to a 100m queue for immigration.

They do of course now offer paid fast track for that too - pity it's not paying for more border force agents.

T
You don't need to experience that flying BA (well BA metal at least)
endoman and toothy like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
While I have never found the security at MAN to be the best around, I concur with those who say that certainly of late at least it really isn't that bad at all. I was once subjected to a secondary check when the tuna sandwich in my bag activated the scanner alarm but, to be fair, I received a sincere apology for that. As an aside, I haven't bought Tesco own brand tuna since that day.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I may have already mentioned this, but I got stopped for secondary screening in T1 last year. The guy was looking through my bag for something that had shown up on the x-ray. He couldn't find it, so showed me the screen. Sure enough, there were 6 bullet like shapes showing.

I was quite puzzled, and a bit worried at this point. Until it dawned on my that they were the collar stiffeners in my shirts!

Damn you Charles Tyrwhitt.
toothy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Hi All, since the move to T1, is FT still available? Ive never flown from T1.

Also, how late can I leave it. 7am departure on 27th Dec - me, no bag (day trip). I am thinking 6am
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Hi All, since the move to T1, is FT still available? Ive never flown from T1.

Also, how late can I leave it. 7am departure on 27th Dec - me, no bag (day trip). I am thinking 6am
I asked last Friday. The airport person at fast track didn't know, but she accepted that I was in J and would normally get access in T3 so let me in.

I think arriving at 6am would be fine.
PGberkshire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.