BA Gold security fast track MAN?

Old Jul 15, 18, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Platinum
BA Gold security fast track MAN?

i hasnít flown with BA from Manchester in a long time. Do golds get security fast track? It isnít showing on my mobile boarding pass.

Old Jul 15, 18, 1:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Yes. Does your boarding pass show your status?

Although donít expect a very fast experience. It can be quite slow as they have only half the scanner available for those in FT and it has to be shared with some of those in ordinary security. Not a very premium service.
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Yes, just use fast track lane. I usually flash my card or if using mobile, show the BP with gold background. However, on several occasions you simply end up in one of the regular queues as they reserve the first scanning point for staff and assisted passengers.
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thank you. Yes, the pass shows my status.
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pennineuk View Post
Yes, just use fast track lane. I usually flash my card or if using mobile, show the BP with gold background. However, on several occasions you simply end up in one of the regular queues as they reserve the first scanning point for staff and assisted passengers.
The first scanner is, as you said for staff and assisted passengers. It is incredibly slow.

The second channel is the one used for for FT and is signed accordingly, including markings on the floor. There is a member of staff at the end line directly passengers from both FT and normal security. However, they donít prioritise FT even when there is a queue.
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM
Originally Posted by madfish View Post

The first scanner is, as you said for staff and assisted passengers. It is incredibly slow.

The second channel is the one used for for FT and is signed accordingly, including markings on the floor. There is a member of staff at the end line directly passengers from both FT and normal security. However, they donít prioritise FT even when there is a queue.
Yes, as mentioned, it's not really all that premium. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and found myself in the wrong line, so I crossed over to the priority line. The attendant said, "hey you can't do that, as people pay a lot to use the priority line" (I guess that must mean the cost of acquiring Gold status). Just showed my phone which had the BA app front screen with the gold background, and was waved through with an apology.

Got to the screening area, and my laptop, which was in a separate tray, was shunted off for further examination (why, I wondered). So I spent a few minutes waiting to be called, and then it magically appeared, unannounced, on the regular conveyor belt. Just Manchester, I thought. Can't get through without some sort of issue...
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Now I'm not one who normally defends MAN security, but I've found several times recently that Fast Track can be very fast. I suspect it is down to the time you arrive, I'm usually on either the 09:45 or the 12:00 flights and for 9 out of 10 of my most recent flights I've either walked straight to a tray or have been number one in the queue. Only once (recently) have I been in a queue, and that was a wait of about 5 minutes.

The attitude of some staff (and many frequent flyers) leaves much to be desired, that said there are some very nice staff who are pleasant and get on with their job. Quite a number of bags do get sent to secondary, often because of liquids. As in all EU airports, a selection of bags are randomly selected to be swabbed for explosives. This can take some time given the number of bags sent to secondary.
orbitmic and PrimaVista like this.
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
I generally find the t3 fast track really fast with little queuing unless my bag gets selected for a random check, and put in line behind the usual people that forgot they had liquids in their bags
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Don't hold your breath. Just hope it's a good day. Don't carry a tube of effervescent vitamin supplements in your bag (it seems to be a particular Manchester sensitivity), and make sure liquids bag and other suspect stuff sit isolated in a tray: overlaps confuse the scanner.
Old Jul 15, 18, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I think Manchester is one of the worst experiences in Europe at the moment. The road network is chaotic and the redesign has made it worse, they have introduced drop-off fees and complicated the road network further. In the terminal the queues are long, both at security and at Border Control on the way back. There are miles of barriers and queueing systems everywhere, certainly in T1 and T3. The lounges are always full - turning people away. It canít be demolished quickly enough (alright T3 and much of T1 will live on).

I could forgive all of this - honestly - if the security and MAN staff werenít ignorant, rude and constantly barking instructions at passengers. Ive never seen such poor behaviour at any airport (or other service). The staff alternate between barking, chatting to their friends and texting on their phones. Itís as if passengers are a stupid inconvenience.
mjghughes and Capt Hammond like this.
Old Jul 15, 18, 4:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BrianDromey View Post
I think Manchester is one of the worst experiences in Europe at the moment. The road network is chaotic and the redesign has made it worse, they have introduced drop-off fees and complicated the road network further. In the terminal the queues are long, both at security and at Border Control on the way back. There are miles of barriers and queueing systems everywhere, certainly in T1 and T3. The lounges are always full - turning people away. It can’t be demolished quickly enough (alright T3 and much of T1 will live on)...

The changes at MAN for drop-off and pick up are terrible, especially for pick-up. They say it is to relieve congestion, passengers say it is about money. It is £3 if you are in and out in 5 minutes, they will charge £4 for between 5 and 10 minutes. If you hit 10 minutes you will be charged £25! Many private hire car drivers have been charged the £25 because of congestion either at drop-off or, especially, at pick-up.

The airport has recently built a roundabout on the main approach to T1/T3, rather than helping the traffic flow this has slowed it down. MAG is profiteering from this, it's not about congestion it is about all those £3, £4 and £25s.

I don't know which lounges are always full, I've never seen anyone refused entry to the BA lounge due to capacity.
Old Jul 15, 18, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Now I'm not one who normally defends MAN security, but I've found several times recently that Fast Track can be very fast. I suspect it is down to the time you arrive, I'm usually on either the 09:45 or the 12:00 flights and for 9 out of 10 of my most recent flights I've either walked straight to a tray or have been number one in the queue. Only once (recently) have I been in a queue, and that was a wait of about 5 minutes.

The attitude of some staff (and many frequent flyers) leaves much to be desired, that said there are some very nice staff who are pleasant and get on with their job. Quite a number of bags do get sent to secondary, often because of liquids. As in all EU airports, a selection of bags are randomly selected to be swabbed for explosives. This can take some time given the number of bags sent to secondary.
fully agreed. Whilst I completely relate some of my experiences to why so many here complain, Iíve had plenty of others - especially off peak - which have been super swift. I personally find the MAN staff less unpleasant than many at LHR and the experience often less aggravating than LHR T5 transit. Hit and miss best describes it for T3 and a lot more hit than miss in the other two terminals.
navylad likes this.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Yes. Does your boarding pass show your status?

Although donít expect a very fast experience. It can be quite slow as they have only half the scanner available for those in FT and it has to be shared with some of those in ordinary security. Not a very premium service.
I went through last week and there were 6 FastTrack positions, not shared. Not sure if this is permanent, but it was an improvement on last time I went through.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

The Escape Lounge in T3 is often full. Although agree about the BA lounge. Would take some going to reach capacity in there.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I went through last week and there were 6 FastTrack positions, not shared. Not sure if this is permanent, but it was an improvement on last time I went through.
It is a couple of weeks since I last went through. I am there next Sunday morning so will see if there has been any changes.

Search this Thread