Wiki Posts
Search

BA cutting down on ARN capacity?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by nd100
Indeed, and those are the A319 or 320 rotations. The 767 is in the afternoon and I've never seen it anywhere near full.
lhr-arn is full in summer. Less busy in winter. The return ba781 often full (but also late to very late much of the time).

perhaps BA’s shoddy winter readiness is coming back to haunt it as it loses repeat custom to SAS?

SAS (and Norwegian) seem to have no problem filling their winter flights to Stockholm which already says BA is the swing capacity provider/booking of last resort on this route to regular travellers who still travel in winter.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
IME the LHR-ARN flights are normally rammed but then I normally either get the mid morning or late evening flight to ARN. There is a hell of lot of ARN connecting traffic to/from the US.
That is also my experience. I regularly fly LAX-ARN with BA/AA (7-9x/year) and most of my LHR-ARN-LHR flights have been full, even on the 767.

Originally Posted by DFB_london

it’s full in summer with ‘boat people’. Winter is different- often subed by a 319 with seats to spare.
SAS and Norwegian are still running a useful schedule so the OP might be better off cancelling and using United/SAS instead.

alternatively fully cancel and just fly SAS from LA. The SAS long haul product is excellent as well.
Have flown SAS nonstop a handful of times, and their J product is fantastic, one of the better ones across the pond. However, BA/AA has the upper hand with greater frequency on the route spread out across the day. The SAS flight departs at 14:15 ex LAX, which many times is too early. Then my BA status is more useful domestically where AA is my primary choice.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I’ve done about four LHR ARN returns in the last year on SAS and, more often than not, the plane has had its middle seats empty.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I flew BA780/781 the other week and both legs were full in ET and where I was sat in CE. I do hope they don't completely rid of larger aircraft on this route, does anyone know what BA's plans are once the 767s get retired?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aeroricky
I flew BA780/781 the other week and both legs were full in ET and where I was sat in CE. I do hope they don't completely rid of larger aircraft on this route, does anyone know what BA's plans are once the 767s get retired?
Pretty sure I saw the A321NEO has a similar seating capacity. Although I'd imagine nowhere near as much cargo.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Quote funny, since from HEL-STO(ARN+BMA) point of view AY actually cuts down flightd during summer and increases them by fall. Obviously much of the intra-Nordic travel is business commuting but wouldn't have guessed LHR-ARN works other way around anf is presumably also leisure-oriented. How about BA service to BMA, do they cut it as well during the winter?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:50 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I choose SAS for basically all my LHR-ARN trips because on the dates when I wanted to travel, SK had reasonable fares (as low as £50 and I think I've never paid over £100) whereas BA was always asking for way more than £100.

My SK flights have always been 80-100% full too - though sometimes this is because SK combines two flights into one.

This means the only time I fly BA on this route is using Avios, but at 6500 / 7500 avios + fee, it doesn't make sense to do so unless SAS is charging £90+

I use Norwegian when I want to fly from LGW
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Just a couple of things on LON-STO:
  • It is not that long ago that BA were running a double daily LCY-ARN as well
  • Norwegian's fares ex-LGW can be incredibly low (I have paid £35 one way inc APD, only booking a week before) on an empty shiny new 737.
  • U2 have recently started LTN-ARN
  • FR have regular flights from STN to NYO and VST (their only flight most days) but both these airports are around 100km from central Stockholm.
  • SAS are incredibly strong in Scandinavia, especially so at ARN and IME Swedes seem to be very loyal to their airline.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Summer schedule maybe, Sweden used to basicallly close down for business in summer, even these days you seldom go for buiness to Sweden from midsummer until early August, just no one around.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Knodde
Summer schedule maybe, Sweden used to basicallly close down for business in summer, even these days you seldom go for buiness to Sweden from midsummer until early August, just no one around.
very telling that BA cuts service in full swing business season and fills up with low priced leisure and US visitors ‘doing Scandinavia’ when there’s no business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.